Dying Arizona Sunset BTA??

ChelseaBidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got him on 11/8, so today will be 3 full days that we've had him. He's about 2.5" fully extended (from what I can tell). The first 2 nights, he got pieces of the BRS - DIY chili (mysis,squid,tuna,scallops, etc). Last night, I target fed him a nice sized (1.5") piece of mysis. He devoured it. He was puffy and fully extended. He looked really good! This morning, literally 5 mins ago, I went to feed him again and noticed him like this. I can't tell if he is just expelling waste/poop or if he is dying. Not sure if it is contributing, but the PS in the bttom pic was on him and picking at him. Can PS harm BTAs? A moment ago, his whole mouth was exposed and completely open. In the pics, he closed up a little. If he is dying and does, how long do I have before toxins are expelled? I don't want anything to die because of this little guy. Any thoughts?
Tagging the hubs since he doesn't know yet lol - @Omgitsjoe
20191111_101210.jpg

20191111_101226.jpg

OP
OP
ChelseaBidwell

ChelseaBidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Video of him looking like he is about to detach and then expands again. Mouth is still exposed and open though. (Excuse my child in the BG, she is watching The Greatest Showman and can't contain herself ;Hilarious )

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience maybe don't try feeding. The BTA is new and stressed in your system and forcing it to each only puts more stress on it. The BTAs in my tank go months without directly feeding them. Make sure it has lots of light(not to much) and med flow. Keep parameters as steady as you can and these things should help. There are plenty of others that will probably chime in with more for you

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looks ok to me, just moody. Totally leave it alone and do not feed at all, if ever. I would not change lighting or flow either. Give it some time, at least a week to 10 days from now.

OP
OP
ChelseaBidwell

ChelseaBidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! We've never owned an anemone and from doing brief research (LA, WWC, Forums, etc) I just gathered I could target feed mysis/Krill/SS. Never found how much and definitely didn't come across anything that advised I shouldn't feed in the first few days. I wish these wholesalers would put a little more info into their care sections! Lol
We didn't intend on getting him. It was a spur of the moment kind of thing. A friends light went out and he couldn't put it into his other tank (contains another anemone) so we took him! Were on the Triton Method - just upped our Mg/Ca/Alk doses since we added 7 corals- LPS/SPS/1 Softie. Does anyone think these current WP are part of the issue? Or is it solely because he's in a new environment? Also, I know you're supposed to have a tank that's at least 1 yr old... ours is 6 months. Should I expect any potential issues while we're tinkering with the doses? Sorry for all the questions, just don't want this little dude to die because of something I did/didn't do.

pH: 8.0
NH3: 0 ppm
NO2: 0 ppm
NO3: 10 ppm
SG: 1.025
Temp: 77.2°F
Mg: 1240 ppm (low)
- Usually: 1360 ppm
Ca: 400 ppm (low)
- Usually: 440 ppm
Alk: 9.5 dkh
PO4: 0.04 ppm

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once he's established you can switch to regular feedings. I feed mine 2-3 times a week with LRS reef frenzy (same stuff I feed the fish). I like it because it's got a nice mix of stuff and some very manageable chunks of meaty foods for them. It's what I used to help nurse one of my BTAs back from the brink when I got it from an LFS that didn't really care about it and was going to let it die.

OP
OP
ChelseaBidwell

ChelseaBidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once he's established you can switch to regular feedings. I feed mine 2-3 times a week with LRS reef frenzy (same stuff I feed the fish). I like it because it's got a nice mix of stuff and some very manageable chunks of meaty foods for them. It's what I used to help nurse one of my BTAs back from the brink when I got it from an LFS that didn't really care about it and was going to let it die.
Exact reason I hate even walking into a lot of our LFSs. Here at least, they really don't care about their fish unless it's in the DTs. Our food is quite similar to the LRS. We made it exactly like BRS did in one of their vids. Lots of meat and supplements. I'm just going to feed the tank like normal and keep an eye on him. I'll wait a while before trying to target feed him again.

OP
OP
ChelseaBidwell

ChelseaBidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We never feed our nems. We only feed the tank.
This is interesting. You're like the 3rd person to say they don't feed theirs. Do they just get hold of scraps? Can they rely solely on filter feeding? I thought they needed meat in their diet. At least that's what I have come across on all the wholesaler websites.
On another note, this is why I love this forum. I love getting feedback from experienced hobbyists as opposed to reading care guides all day. Lol

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting. You're like the 3rd person to say they don't feed theirs. Do they just get hold of scraps? Can they rely solely on filter feeding? I thought they needed meat in their diet. At least that's what I have come across on all the wholesaler websites.
On another note, this is why I love this forum. I love getting feedback from experienced hobbyists as opposed to reading care guides all day. Lol

They can survive strictly on what energy they're able to take from their zooxanthellae. I prefer to feed mine because it helps with growth, I've found better coloration with feeding and in personal experience they tend to split more often.

Everyone does it differently and as long as the creature is thriving there's really no wrong way.

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been told NOT to feed them. They will catch what they need from tank feeding. They respond about like euphyllia. I think feeding is the #1 reason they split. Ours grab chunks of meat when we feed.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been told NOT to feed them. They will catch what they need from tank feeding. They respond about like euphyllia. I think feeding is the #1 reason they split. Ours grab chunks of meat when we feed.

^^^^This!^^^^

I haven't fed my rbta's since 2014. They "eat" mostly high quality light and catch bits of fish food.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to OP - your #s look good. re: feeding I feed mine once a week either cut up frozen shrimp or little neck clams from grocery store.

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad to see it looking better. Stability is key and lots of GOOD spectrum light. Just remember their moods almost swing by the hour so if you are dosing then just be careful and keep things simple. feeding mine always seems to make it grow and split.... splitting is a pain if you dont get the clone soon enough they end up where you dont want them. BUT with that said my clown takes food and shares with the nem quite often, another reason i don't feed nems directly. maybe once they have recovered from stress just to help give them a boost but once established i dont see the neeed. Good luck with your new friend and hope it continues to improve.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back