Dying Clownfish - Very Pale

claydogg84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All fish are currently in a QT tank. They’ve been through 30 days of Copper Power @ 2.25 followed by 2 doses of API GC. Everything had been going smoothly until today when I found one clown laying on its side, breathing heavy, and turned a very pale white. It does not appear to be covered in a white slime commonly associated with Brooklynella. I did notice this clown acting slightly odd the past couple days - hiding in a lower corner with its face pointed downwards, but it was still swimming freely and eating very good just 24 hours ago. The remaining fish - 1 more clown, Tomini tang, Midas blenny, coral beauty, and watchman goby all seem normal. Not sure if there’s anything I can do for it at this point, or if this is something that may spread to the other fish?

IMG_3928.jpeg IMG_3929.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish are currently in a QT tank. They’ve been through 30 days of Copper Power @ 2.25 followed by 2 doses of API GC. Everything had been going smoothly until today when I found one clown laying on its side, breathing heavy, and turned a very pale white. It does not appear to be covered in a white slime commonly associated with Brooklynella. I did notice this clown acting slightly odd the past couple days - hiding in a lower corner with its face pointed downwards, but it was still swimming freely and eating very good just 24 hours ago. The remaining fish - 1 more clown, Tomini tang, Midas blenny, coral beauty, and watchman goby all seem normal. Not sure if there’s anything I can do for it at this point, or if this is something that may spread to the other fish?

IMG_3928.jpeg IMG_3929.jpeg

The fish does look really pale, I can't see excess mucus that indicates Brooklynella, but a pale color can mean that it is there. The standard quarantine process we suggest here just does not control Brooklynella (formalin is the best for that and is hard for folks to get).

Is the other clown 100% normal, or is it pale and breathing fast? Can you post of video of that clown?

Jay

OP
OP
C

claydogg84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fish does look really pale, I can't see excess mucus that indicates Brooklynella, but a pale color can mean that it is there. The standard quarantine process we suggest here just does not control Brooklynella (formalin is the best for that and is hard for folks to get).

Is the other clown 100% normal, or is it pale and breathing fast? Can you post of video of that clown?

Jay
Yes, the other clown seems/looks quite normal.

Attachments

• IMG_3930.mov
    47 MB
OP
OP
C

claydogg84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In case the videos are not working here are some pictures of the “healthy” clown.

Attachments

• IMG_3935.jpeg
    IMG_3935.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3934.jpeg
    IMG_3934.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3933.jpeg
    IMG_3933.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3932.jpeg
    IMG_3932.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 21

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not sure if the video is working.
This fish is being moved around by low water movement indicating it may be moribund and not eat or swim normal and there is unfortunately no treatment that can be recommended.
Any signs of fighting or bullying with this fish in the past ?

OP
OP
C

claydogg84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This fish is being moved around by low water movement indicating it may be moribund and not eat or swim normal and there is unfortunately no treatment that can be recommended.
Any signs of fighting or bullying with this fish in the past ?
Unfortunately no, there were no indicators of any sort of problem. All fish made it through the copper and GC without issue. No flashing, fighting, or bullying what so ever. There were what Jay thought to be “mucus plugs” that were visible on both clowns at one point. They seemed to go away after the second GC dose though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Unfortunately no, there were no indicators of any sort of problem. All fish made it through the copper and GC without issue. No flashing, fighting, or bullying what so ever. There were what Jay thought to be “mucus plugs” that were visible on both clowns at one point. They seemed to go away after the second GC dose though.
Mucus plugs often due to skin irritation or mixed with ich and may have overtaken a delicate fish like this. Its unfortunate

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case the videos are not working here are some pictures of the “healthy” clown.

O.K., good. At least the other clown looks good. However, the issue could likely be contagious, so watch it for symptoms.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back