Dying clownfish

Mimi9011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish is pretty pale. I've done a check on the parameters and everything is okay. Ammonia 0, Nitrate 0, Nitrate 0. It's odd that everything is reading 0... my ph is kinda on the high side since I have a cleaner shrimp. It's 8.4 about. I got the shrimp 4 days ago if this makes a difference. Aside from that, the clown is not eating and swims very low. I had the fish for about 2 month now and he had previous problems that got fixed. He was eating then randomly stopped.

Attachments

• 20211130_180251.mp4
    38.6 MB

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a marimo moss ball? What is your salinity? Those can survive brackish water but not salt. I'm also confused as to what the cleaner shrimp has to do with the ph...

OP
OP
M

Mimi9011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a marimo moss ball? What is your salinity? Those can survive brackish water but not salt. I'm also confused as to what the cleaner shrimp has to do with the ph...
I've heard they could survive in saltwater and it's been inside the tank since I bought the tank (2 months) and I had no problems. You're probably right though since I double checked just now and someone said they can survive up to 1.015 salinity. I have 1.025. The cleaner shrimp has nothing to do with it. I just had poor punctuation, my apologies.

OP
OP
M

Mimi9011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20211201_135631.jpg
I have one.

OP
OP
M

Mimi9011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish is pretty pale. I've done a check on the parameters and everything is okay. Ammonia 0, Nitrate 0, Nitrate 0. It's odd that everything is reading 0... my ph is kinda on the high side since I have a cleaner shrimp. It's 8.4 about. I got the shrimp 4 days ago if this makes a difference. Aside from that, the clown is not eating and swims very low. I had the fish for about 2 month now and he had previous problems that got fixed. He was eating then randomly stopped.
The clownfish died about 10 minutes ago. I've done the freshwater dip and he passed when I put him back. This wasn't my first dip so I'm sure I took the right precautions. I just think I did it too late. He was very stressed and maybe doing the dip was too much. I do suspect fluke since after the cleaner shrimp started tampering with the gills. Not sure why the dip didn't fully remove it, but maybe multiple was required...I still really want suggestions to keep my tank maintained. I have 1 other clown and the shrimp. I don't want to hurt them. This is my first saltwater tank, so thank you for your patience.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should google the "berlin filtration method" and read about it, this is the main biofilter on a saltwater tank, basically, the more rock (surface area) you have the stronger your biofilter (ability to support life) will be. One little rock is insufficient (normally it should be somewhere around 1 lbs per gallon)

OP
OP
M

Mimi9011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should google the "berlin filtration method" and read about it, this is the main biofilter on a saltwater tank, basically, the more rock (surface area) you have the stronger your biofilter (ability to support life) will be. One little rock is insufficient (normally it should be somewhere around 1 lbs per gallon)
I see...thank you!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back