Dying goniopora of brown jelly disease?

hmmmmm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(not gonio, meant to say Duncan)

Bit of an issue.. bought some coral from a guy who was quitting the hobby. Didn't look great but took a shot at it, 70+ heads duncan for 70 bucks, I'll give that a try

Some of the heads had skeleton showing, others were looking ok. I fragged it into smaller pieces and dipped it using coral Rx, followed by a rinse and a hydrogen peroxide bath.

I knew that would stress it out even more but didn't want to chance it. Rather have 20 healthy heads than 40 bad ones. They have been in the nano tank for a couple of day now. Some are doing fine, others are dying quick. This was to be expected I guess, with them already being in bad condition, than moving and dipping etc.

But the heads that are dying are dying quick. They leave behind a brown stringy slime. I can easily blow it of with a turkey baster, and this leaves a clean white skeleton head. Gunk goes down the filter. So I thought no biggy, but today my torch is about half of its normal size. None of the other corals seem to have any issue, just the torch. Also have hammer and frogspawn in the tank and they are doing fine. But the torch was quite expensive so just wanted to make sure this isn't something else...

Bigger piece, 3 heads on the back are fine, about 15 are retracted but show flesh, others are gone. You can see the strings from the dying heads on the left side of the picture.
IMG20201124205456.jpg

Another example. Some heads are ok, other showing flesh but retracted. Hammer right behind it looking ok.
IMG20201124205614.jpg

I could take all the duncan out and put them in a temporary bucket with a heater and flow\led? Them do a 50% water change in the morning. But if its just stuff dying that might be over reacting a bit..

Last edited:
OP
OP
hmmmmm

hmmmmm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I found most people see some brown spot that slowly grows bigger when they encounter brown jelly disease. This looks different because the heads were already messed up and are gone in 1 day.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize you should never dip the polyps in the peroxide? It's great at removing algae, but the polyp should never touch the peroxide. While I have never used peroxide as a dip, it's what I've read. SPS are usually OK with a little peroxide touching them, and softies tolerate a full dip quite well, but LPS do not do well at all with peroxide.

Thats probably what killed the coral. And I agree, that most certainly looks like brown jelly. probably caused by the peroxide dip.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just curious—what does cause brown jelly disease? Is it a parasite that needs to be introduced, or can it come from bad water? I just want to make sure for my LPS corals

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just curious—what does cause brown jelly disease? Is it a parasite that needs to be introduced, or can it come from bad water? I just want to make sure for my LPS corals
I just lost a torch to bjd 2 weeks ago. I had increased the flow too much and damaged tentacles, and caused stress. The light brown jelly surrounded some tentacles. I blew the damaged tissue away over 2 days, installing 10 micron sox to catch debris. 3rd day removed to qt, where it died.
There are 3 other healthy torches within 6 inches, both up and downstream, not affected.
After this, it is my opinion that any action to corals not showing symptoms will cause stress and be counter productive. If the torches have healthy immune systems they are not in danger.
Whatever causes it is opportunistic, waiting for stress or injury to make the coral vulnerable.

OP
OP
hmmmmm

hmmmmm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize you should never dip the polyps in the peroxide? It's great at removing algae, but the polyp should never touch the peroxide. While I have never used peroxide as a dip, it's what I've read. SPS are usually OK with a little peroxide touching them, and softies tolerate a full dip quite well, but LPS do not do well at all with peroxide.

Thats probably what killed the coral. And I agree, that most certainly looks like brown jelly. probably caused by the peroxide dip.

I've read a mild mix could not hurt but it's the internet so that might be completely wrong.. Don't think it made much of a difference, they were already dying when I got them, not doing anything would have been wrong as well..

Anyway, time to try option 2, get it all out and frag it further, removing al the heads that show signs. Made a pico QT with a heater, a homemade filter flow thingy and some LEDs.

IMG20201127190929.jpg

Some of the heads show only small signs but I don't want to take that change again
IMG20201127192528.jpg

They are getting stressed for the 47th time this week but maybe I can save a few. Throwing everything out that shows the slightest signs one by one.
IMG20201127200838.jpg

Maybe my little buddy will eat it all
IMG20201127202517.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back