E.coli discovered. in local drinking water !

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley
hello R2R,
Didn’t really know which forum too post this ,so I’ll post here
As the title says, 2 days ago we were informed that E.coli has been discovered in our drinking water .. we’ve been told too boil all our water. So I was wondering what kind of effect this could have on my tank .. I really need too do a water change ...upto now I’ve not made any fresh rodi water .. I’m pretty sure my rodi system won’t remove it (although I could be wrong?)
Would treating the water with prime help ?
I believe they are now putting more chlorine in the water too help ..
I’ve already borrowed some rodi water from a friend in the next town for my ATO so I’m good for another day or so ..
I can’t drive for four weeks because I’ve had a heart problem .. so getting around to arrange water is difficult ..
They have not said what strain of E.cloi it is yet ..
any help or advice would be appreciated
Thanks in advance Mack

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI filtration is removing molecules from the drinking water, I'd be surprised if it's not removing bacteria as well. Once mixed to reef-level saltiness, I'd think the E. coli would not be able to handle it, but while the water's still fresh, probably best to avoid sucking on a siphon-hose.

~Bruce, offering his non-expert $0.02

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprisingly, E. Coli has a pretty high tolerance to saltwater - or some strains do, at least...

Your RO/DI system should be pretty good at removing it, however:
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/home-water-treatment/household_water_treatment.html

One thing to note with that, however, is that you'll be filtering it out (eg; trapping it) - not killing it. Once it's taken care of at the source, you might want to swap out all your filters and media. (This may be overkill; anything that your source does to solve the problem would likely solve it in your gear as well...)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO does remove bacteria, but they are not allowed to make such claims. If it were me, I'd still make the water and not worry about the bacteria....or my RO membrane. The level of bacteria is most likely miniscule. I'd be more concerned about the water companies response.....most likely a chlorine/chloramine dump.

I can't argue that some strains of e. coli bacteria survive saltwater, but I can't except it lives or thrives in saltwater for long. Our entire county's crap water is dumped into the Raritain Bay, just a couple hundred yards off shore!!!! Anyone vacationing on the Jersey shore this coming year? :eek:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E Coli looks to be more of a problem for humans link I would suggest testing the RO/DI to see if the chlorine or chloramine is in the water after running it through the RO/DI. If so add a small amount of Prime to get rid of the chlorine or chloramine and you should be good to go.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it will have any impact on your tank, and second opinions here that recommend you just about business as usual in making your sat water. For human drinking water, it would be very rare for the actual E. coli to be the dangerous strain that releases toxins that harm you. It is more a canary in the mineshaft telling us that there is some of contamination (likely fecal) in the water, and they need to find out where it is or wait for it to pass.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the government recommends 'boiling' water for drinking, its probably the toxinogenic e coli. Rather than ask here - it might be prudent to ask your water supply company what they recommend. It is certainly not something to 'fool around with' - though perhaps the city/county is over reacting - ask them what to do. :)

Certain strains of e coli survive quite well in Salt water - there are also strains of multi drug resistant salmonella that survive in salt water - among other things. If your RO membrane is intact - it will probably remove E coli - 100% intact.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the government recommends 'boiling' water for drinking, its probably the toxinogenic e coli. Rather than ask here - it might be prudent to ask your water supply company what they recommend. It is certainly not something to 'fool around with' - though perhaps the city/county is over reacting - ask them what to do. :)

Certain strains of e coli survive quite well in Salt water - there are also strains of multi drug resistant salmonella that survive in salt water - among other things. If your RO membrane is intact - it will probably remove E coli - 100% intact.

By the way - if they are allowing you to bathe in it, etc - its not like its likely at all to cause a problem. Near our community, they put out an announcement 'not to drink or use any water' - but they did it 2 days late - I don't think anyone had problems - but - better to be safe than rossy

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back