Eagle Eye Zoas unhappy

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! This Eagle Eyes frag was my first ever coral to be added to this tank and was doing fine up until a few months ago. The polyps never seemed to open as much as they used to and now it seems that some have melted away. I have a bunch of other zoas that are doing just fine. Can anyone help me figure out why these aren't doing well? Thanks.

20220628_140441.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, have you dipped/checked for pests ? nudi's ,sand dial snails ?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! This Eagle Eyes frag was my first ever coral to be added to this tank and was doing fine up until a few months ago. The polyps never seemed to open as much as they used to and now it seems that some have melted away. I have a bunch of other zoas that are doing just fine. Can anyone help me figure out why these aren't doing well? Thanks.

Not without some more info...

- What are your latest water test results?

- A full tank picture so we can see other subtleties that may give a clue. Close ups are important, but we can't see what else may be going on in the tank.

OP
OP
reaper93

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not without some more info...

- What are your latest water test results?

- A full tank picture so we can see other subtleties that may give a clue. Close ups are important, but we can't see what else may be going on in the tank.
On 6/11 (Last time I tested), paremeters were 1.025 sg, 7.9 alk, 380 calc, 1200 mag

Here are some FTS

Attachments

• 20220501_124603.jpg
    20220501_124603.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220501_124711.jpg
    20220501_124711.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 53

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On 6/11 (Last time I tested), paremeters were 1.025 sg, 7.9 alk, 380 calc, 1200 mag

Here are some FTS

Personally, I like my ALK at 8.5 and my CA at 440. But your numbers aren't so low that they would keep them from opening.

Looking at your full tank shots, it looks like your corals are in generally goos shape, although I feel some should be more open.

Try to get the ALK and CA up. Also, double check your salinity as I understand that low salinity will impact your ability to get things like ALK and CA to desirable levels.

What kind of lighting are you using?

OP
OP
reaper93

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I like my ALK at 8.5 and my CA at 440. But your numbers aren't so low that they would keep them from opening.

Looking at your full tank shots, it looks like your corals are in generally goos shape, although I feel some should be more open.

Try to get the ALK and CA up. Also, double check your salinity as I understand that low salinity will impact your ability to get things like ALK and CA to desirable levels.

What kind of lighting are you using?
Yep. I'm dosing Alk and Ca weekly after I do my testings to keep them up. It had been at like 7.0 for a long time before I started dosing. I'll try to raise those up slightly more.

For salinity, I am pretty darn confident its what I say because I calibrate it every time I use it with 35ptt solution. I check salinity before every test

I am using an AI Prime (Not the 16hd but the one with 13 LEDS)

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 16 different zoas on my zoa garden. All looked great but then my fruit loops closed for about 2 weeks. I then noticed webbing and looked closer and saw a vermetid snail on the same plug. I think it was camouflaged by coralline algae. I’m pretty sure it was the culprit and why the other zoas still looked great.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I'm dosing Alk and Ca weekly after I do my testings to keep them up. It had been at like 7.0 for a long time before I started dosing. I'll try to raise those up slightly more.

For salinity, I am pretty darn confident its what I say because I calibrate it every time I use it with 35ptt solution. I check salinity before every test

I am using an AI Prime (Not the 16hd but the one with 13 LEDS)

Calcium and carbonate are critical for the growth of corals. And if your reading of 1.026 is accurate, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to get your ALK and Calcium numbers up through dosing.

I'm also noticing that your corals are at the bottom. I'm wondering if your light has enough penetration to provide adequate PAR.

You may want to consider moving your corals up closer to the light.

OP
OP
reaper93

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium and carbonate are critical for the growth of corals. And if your reading of 1.026 is accurate, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to get your ALK and Calcium numbers up through dosing.

I'm also noticing that your corals are at the bottom. I'm wondering if your light has enough penetration to provide adequate PAR.

You may want to consider moving your corals up closer to the light.

Yep. Is weekly dosing fine, that's what I have been doing recently.

These specific zoas are receiving around 70 par.

OP
OP
reaper93

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 16 different zoas on my zoa garden. All looked great but then my fruit loops closed for about 2 weeks. I then noticed webbing and looked closer and saw a vermetid snail on the same plug. I think it was camouflaged by coralline algae. I’m pretty sure it was the culprit and why the other zoas still looked great.
Ahhh. I don't think there are any vermetids but there is a feather duster in close proximity, maybe that's the cause?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Is weekly dosing fine, that's what I have been doing recently.

These specific zoas are receiving around 70 par.

A PAR of 70 should be adequate. I believe the issue may be related to the low ALK and CA.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too would like to know your phosphate and nitrate levels

Interesting to know, but my belief is that if nitrates and phosphates are elevated, we'd be seeing algae blooms.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why all my other corals seem to be happy then. Maybe this guy is just a picky one :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

It could be that there is something irritating it. But based on the full tank shots you've provided, I would say that your corals are surviving, but not thriving. I think they could be happier.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back