bdbcc7873481a524308d7920e23b5ad9.jpg

He must like the new tank he is opening back up in under 24 hours

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks its been a journey of learning for me and my kids. we are now trying to decide how to best and most safely for the nem bring one of those big guys into our 75 gallon tank

Have any of them settled on a small enough piece of rock you could move it from one to the other? From there drip acclimation, and allowing time for it to settle into its new spot, with low flow.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of them settled on a small enough piece of rock you could move it from one to the other? From there drip acclimation, and allowing time for it to settle into its new spot, with low flow.
yes actually two of them are on a small chunk of rock but the rock is purple and doesn't match the rock in the 75. Now I'm being fickle I guess. The cube is looking over run needs room i think but also do not want to leave it barren.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes actually two of them are on a small chunk of rock but the rock is purple and doesn't match the rock in the 75. Now I'm being fickle I guess. The cube is looking over run needs room i think but also do not want to leave it barren.

With the color not matching its usually best to seed a new tank with an established piece of live rock. It will help to introduce the coralline algae.

Additionally when you put the rock with the nems into the tank, they will almost certainly move and find a new place to live to match the lights and flow of the new tank. I would anticipate within a week or so you could move the rock baack into the cube.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so would you just drip and then sit it on the floor of the tank and let them move around? maybe turn power heads off for a couple days until they are settled?

and just hope they dont attack my scolly or other corals... LOL

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so would you just drip and then sit it on the floor of the tank and let them move around? maybe turn power heads off for a couple days until they are settled?

and just hope they dont attack my scolly or other corals... LOL

That's what I would say. Do it early enough in the morning that you can drip acclimate them for about 90 mins... add to the tank. put them in a lower flow area and then let them make their move.

Shutting down powerheads is a tough call. Yes to make sure they don't wonder into the powerhead but No because once you return to your normal flow they will more than likely move again.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
59a9052a22eed2c39c283ab08d5397de.jpg

So thinking that we still need to thin this tank a bit and maybe redesign the scape for balance... suggestions welcome we are not really sure where to start or why to do in this cube

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
00902490423ae9fae3ef9dd4775afc93.jpg

Finally came off the original rock not sure how long it’s been have to look at journals. But now he’s on the move and walking in my Acan.( I move Acan to safety)

5d757b442fc58389947f62750b8b889e.jpg
. He traveled another 5”s after I moved the Acan , up to the top of the structure... guess we will see where he goes.

7cfebfa6ec3ed615a59ced37c959452b.jpg

The second nem that was on the original rock moved off as well but doesn’t look happy??

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
00902490423ae9fae3ef9dd4775afc93.jpg

Finally came off the original rock not sure how long it’s been have to look at journals. But now he’s on the move and walking in my Acan.( I move Acan to safety)

5d757b442fc58389947f62750b8b889e.jpg
. He traveled another 5”s after I moved the Acan , up to the top of the structure... guess we will see where he goes.

7cfebfa6ec3ed615a59ced37c959452b.jpg

The second nem that was on the original rock moved off as well but doesn’t look happy??

Remind me, did they stay put at first and then start moving, or have they never really settled in? If they are climbing up the rock, I would suspect they were looking for better light. If they are going restless all over the place I would suspect they are seeking flow.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remind me, did they stay put at first and then start moving, or have they never really settled in? If they are climbing up the rock, I would suspect they were looking for better light. If they are going restless all over the place I would suspect they are seeking flow.
They actually stayed put just moving around their original rock for quite a while. ( they were almost closed up the whole time never fully open) A couple days ago I moved their rock a bit and turned flow up in the tank trying to battle dino and bubble algae. the next morning they had left their rock and gotten on the structure in the tank and now one is closed on the side and the one that is more open i pictures has disappeared.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 61 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.0%
Back