Ease for tank sitting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm looking at making my tank fairy easy to hour sit and tank sit for my vacations like 2 weeks at a time. Which isn't often but I want to make it fool proof lol. Other than adding rodi water for my ato. Feeding fish. Instead of logging them in Everytime and pressing feed pause to stop my tunze powerheads for 5 min two times a day. I leave return pump and skimmer and all that running. I just shut down all 4 powerheads.

How can I get a analog or a switch box to have them press and it will trigger a 5 mini feed pause. Also maybe I might make it easy for myself for maintenance. I'm interesting in adding a button for maybe skimmer cleaning. And maybe one to shut down all pumps for doing my water change. Is this possible and how do I do it.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pressing the "X" on the controller takes you directly to the feed modes and is pretty straight forward.

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the GHL breakoutbox that i never used yet.. is that what i need??? let me look at this ADIN..

there is a guy that makes switch boxes for apex.. but i need to know what kind of wiring i need so he can do it for me and prep it for me as he doesnt have a p4 to test... going in blind

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i get it now.. i get the ADIN.. then it comes with the ethernet which plugs into the ADIN and that end adapter it comes with.... and my made switch box to run feed pause and such needs to have the DB9 installed on the switches box with switches hooked up to it?? is their only certain switches that work with the ADIN????

also only 4 switches can be run with ADIN? like feed pause, skimmer off ( for cleaning) SUMP off for water changes and one extra one??

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds right from what I read. I think you buy the db9 Separately. I was gonna go ghl but but ended up with an apex for free so that's what I ended up putting on my tank for now.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i get it now.. i get the ADIN.. then it comes with the ethernet which plugs into the ADIN and that end adapter it comes with.... and my made switch box to run feed pause and such needs to have the DB9 installed on the switches box with switches hooked up to it?? is their only certain switches that work with the ADIN????

also only 4 switches can be run with ADIN? like feed pause, skimmer off ( for cleaning) SUMP off for water changes and one extra one??
Yes, you need the PLM-ADIN card to do what you're asking about. To make the setup more straightforward, you can pickup a breakout board like this and connect it to the ADIN card. The switch itself will then connect to this board and you program the Digital input function to a feed pause. Once you hit the button, it will trigger the feed pause.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you need the PLM-ADIN card to do what you're asking about. To make the setup more straightforward, you can pickup a breakout board like this and connect it to the ADIN card. The switch itself will then connect to this board and you program the Digital input function to a feed pause. Once you hit the button, it will trigger the feed pause.
So I just ordered the adin card. Can't I just do what you posted in the forum. The guy is making me a 4 switch setup with a cable coming out I ordered the bd9 female connector so I'll wire the 4 switches to the female bd9. Then just plug it into your adin which has the male end and the Ethernet to adin. Should work right

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that should be fine.

Quick question on your PLC-Adin card, @Vinny@GHLUSA

Can one just tie the 0-10v input to ground in order to use additional float switches? For a total of 6 switches on the PLC-Adin card. I assume that input is normally floating, but wanted to confirm there is programming logic available so that when tied to ground 0v is recognized and can trigger a feed pause etc.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question on your PLC-Adin card, @Vinny@GHLUSA

Can one just tie the 0-10v input to ground in order to use additional float switches? For a total of 6 switches on the PLC-Adin card. I assume that input is normally floating, but wanted to confirm there is programming logic available so that when tied to ground 0v is recognized and can trigger a feed pause etc.
You can connect a float switch like this to a breakout board. When the float switch is triggered, the digital input can activate a feed pause.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can connect a float switch like this to a breakout board. When the float switch is triggered, the digital input can activate a feed pause.

I am asking if you can connect a float switch between the 0-10v input and and ground on the PLC_Adin. When the switch is closed, I thought it pulls down to 0v- so can that be used as well to trigger a feed pause?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new control switches for the P4. It's a beaut!
Needs a tiny tiny diy. But thanks to Harry's aquatics
IMG_20200809_112506.jpg IMG_20200809_112458.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like a charm. I just hold a button down for 3 to 5 seconds until my powerheads turn off and good to go. Just know with any switches it's not instant. Sometimes I gotta hold it for 6 seconds. Or so not bc harrys switch but ghl. But still nice instead of logging in phone every time.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back