Easier way to feed fish?

cliffclaven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I saw this in the store and it made me think of Lfs that use them to feed there fish. So my question is can I just dump a bunch of frozen cubes of mysis and brine shrimp in them and does selcon accordingly, and just keep it in the fridge then measure out how much to feed?

Thanks in advance
d7ee946155317717b9dd2a6bcebe9e2b.jpg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my prepared frozen foods in a small jar for around 3-5 days at a time and it does pretty well. After day 5 or so it starts to smell funky so I toss it after that. I think this would work, just keep an eye on how it looks and your nose on the funkiness level. Probably a good idea to wash before and after each use and probably sterilize it every once in a while.

OP
OP
C

cliffclaven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my prepared frozen foods in a small jar for around 3-5 days at a time and it does pretty well. After day 5 or so it starts to smell funky so I toss it after that. I think this would work, just keep an eye on how it looks and your nose on the funkiness level. Probably a good idea to wash before and after each use and probably sterilize it every once in a while.
Thank you what I was thinking just wasn't I on a time frame

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I'd go more than a day out of the original package. Funk is only the last sign where things are actually decomposing. Nutritional values decline first.

If you can't feed whole cubes, then you should be buying so-called flat packs so you can portion it yourself.

If it helps, use a microplane and grate it frozen right into the tank.

U927_zoom.jpg

upload_2018-5-29_17-46-8.jpeg

OP
OP
C

cliffclaven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I'd go more than a day out of the original package. Funk is only the last sign where things are actually decomposing. Nutritional values decline first.

If you can't feed whole cubes, then you should be buying so-called flat packs so you can portion it yourself.

If it helps, use a microplane and grate it frozen right into the tank.

U927_zoom.jpg

upload_2018-5-29_17-46-8.jpeg
I do feed whole cubes was seeing if little easier then thawing and soaking the shrimp each day... but your saying better not to because of nutrition...witch obviously matters more lol

OP
OP
C

cliffclaven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant local fish store not the website but I'm sure mysis is mysis for the most part so thank you
We do not recommend thawing anymore of our foods (LRSFoods.com) than can be used in a single day for 1-3 feedings. There is no benefit which outweighs the risk of degradation occurring with some of the ingredients, especially those with increased fatty acids.

OP
OP
C

cliffclaven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the reason I asked was to see if I could dose selcon vitamins to all the cubes instead of each by its self.... but the cubes take forever to thaw when there not in water so can I just thaw it in water dose .5 selcon and it still have the same effect as just the cube with selcon then add water once its thawed?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the selcon is going to be helpful with the mysis or other non-marine foods you might feed – a good reason to have some on hand. But I would consider it a lot less necessary for the better whole foods you can find. Depending who you're feeding, you can even dose small amounts of selcon right to the water column, or perhaps into a pump for more dispersion if you're feeding corals.

I'd prefer something like "reef plankton" for whole, larger food items and something like fish eggs or even newly hatched brine shrimp for tiny mouths and corals. Mostly no supplementation necessary, and no mess for something like fish eggs.

BTW, I consider the "mess" from processed foods just to be coral food....so that's another angle to keep in mind.

IMO, too many folks are phobic of nutrients due to fears of algae. (May or may not be you...just sayin.) Algae can be a problem with or without dissolved nutrients in the tank – so there's quite a bit more to the story if you have an algae problem. Feeding your animals right is definitely NOT the problem. ;)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant local fish store not the website but I'm sure mysis is mysis for the most part so thank you

It actually kind of a general thing with frozen foods – whether for human or animal. It's apparently really crucial to freshness and quality for them to freeze in the correct amount of time and to stay frozen until usage.

OP
OP
C

cliffclaven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the selcon is going to be helpful with the mysis or other non-marine foods you might feed – a good reason to have some on hand. But I would consider it a lot less necessary for the better whole foods you can find. Depending who you're feeding, you can even dose small amounts of selcon right to the water column, or perhaps into a pump for more dispersion if you're feeding corals.

I'd prefer something like "reef plankton" for whole, larger food items and something like fish eggs or even newly hatched brine shrimp for tiny mouths and corals. Mostly no supplementation necessary, and no mess for something like fish eggs.

BTW, I consider the "mess" from processed foods just to be coral food....so that's another angle to keep in mind.

IMO, too many folks are phobic of nutrients due to fears of algae. (May or may not be you...just sayin.) Algae can be a problem with or without dissolved nutrients in the tank – so there's quite a bit more to the story if you have an algae problem. Feeding your animals right is definitely NOT the problem. ;)

I really want to make my own food using shrimps scallops and things like that, tried once but was real messy in the tank and fish didnt seem to really like it. I'm feeding a yellow tang square Antheus Two clown fish and a Cardinal I also have that 5 or 6 Hermit crabs a few snails and one Sally crab I don't have any Coral but I see what you're saying about the excess nutrients I just figured why not it has good reviews and can't be too healthy...... I do feed them baby brine shrimp I'm trying to grow them out to adult brine shrimp so I can feed them that I'm feeding them 1ML of selcon A-day

OP
OP
C

cliffclaven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually kind of a general thing with frozen foods – whether for human or animal. It's apparently really crucial to freshness and quality for them to freeze in the correct amount of time and to stay frozen until usage.
That what I'll be doing from now on just thaw one every day and soak it.

CraftDaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically let a cube thaw before adding it to the tank (minus the thawed liquid). Should I be letting the cube thaw inside the tank?

LowLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started doing this based off this video
I was taking some lrs selcon and a drop of garlic with some RO water.
Im keeping it just below freezing. ( If i give the liquid a thud it will turn to slush)

the reasons i do it
Smaller particles for my fish.
Dont have to touch the food or break it apart for the fish
Dont have to spend time stirring it up to get smaller particles

After reading this im going to stop lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I place a small portion in RO water in a solo cup container , and spoon feed when thawed. I use it up within the first two hours

Tbyram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small feeding syringe that is used to feed rabbits or small nursing animals. The end is big enough to put a cube in the end of it. I then suck up the tank water leaving a little bit of air and then shake. It will thaw quickly and then squirt it into tank. If it doesn’t completely thaw with first time then when I have squirted out all water and thawed food, I suck up more water and do it again until all gone. Works great and easy for me.
FDAC33FB-2722-42B3-9EC5-95356CFAB8B6.jpeg

OP
OP
C

cliffclaven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small feeding syringe that is used to feed rabbits or small nursing animals. The end is big enough to put a cube in the end of it. I then suck up the tank water leaving a little bit of air and then shake. It will thaw quickly and then squirt it into tank. If it doesn’t completely thaw with first time then when I have squirted out all water and thawed food, I suck up more water and do it again until all gone. Works great and easy for me.
FDAC33FB-2722-42B3-9EC5-95356CFAB8B6.jpeg
That does sound easy and pretty cool.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it better to thaw the cubes in a fish net under running water so the non-solids go down the drain?
I used to "rinse" my frozen foods so i could believe I was doing my best to keep phosphates out of the tank.

Then I read an article on it and they meaaured the reduction in phosphate from rinsing... it was 1%.

Now i literally toss cubes in from across the room.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back