Easiest Magnesium Test

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert after been using RSM for years but again Salifert, easy, simple and great accuracy!!!

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a Triton test recently and my Mg was 1531 with my Salifert registering 1425.

This seems to be common. I've read about Triton vs Salifert for Mg being off by 100 ppm or so on several occasions, and I'm actually searching on Reef2Reef right now to try to find more comments. It's pretty easy actually. Here is a thread that I just replied to, I'm the only response though. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/triton-test-vs-salifert-calibrated-whit-fm-multi-reference.269864

Interesting (and perhaps problematic) that so many people think the Red Sea is the easiest when it also seems to give a lot of people inaccurate (false high) readings.

Is the Red Sea giving false high measurements, or is it actually Salifert giving false low readings? I do see some people having trouble with the testing, but as far as I can tell it's user error. When I use the Red Sea Pro Mg kit the results are very repeatable, and I've never had a reading over 1400 ppm or so, but the kit is a PITA to perform, I hate it. The titrator is stupid, I don't use it. The Salifert results are very repeatable too, and Salifert is always 100-120 ppm lower than Red Sea IME, but the Salifert test is quicker and less steps, so I just use the Salifert kit and add 100 ppm. :D

Last edited:

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NYOS by FAR. Red sea is just as accurate as NYOS from my experience, but more of a hassle. Salifert has ALWAYS read low for me on two separate lots so I'm done with them.

NYOS!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Red Sea giving false high measurements, or is it actually Salifert giving false low readings?

The studies I've seen, and the results from many people, suggest it is the Red Sea that reads high. I'm not saying it isn't the users not doing what Red Sea expects, or some other issue, but folks who are quite experienced kit users still can have the problem.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Red Sea and I will say that sometimes it is hard to tell if the color change is complete or not, it doesn't happen in 1 drop. IME it takes 2-4 drops to fully change

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back