0   0   0
Red Sea, and nothing else, I'm color blind

aashley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Reef Status. I haven't used any others but it's relatively simple to me. Easy to read and that is what is most important to me.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefManKen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What, no poll? I love the polls.

Salifert. Easy to read color change.

Only thing I don't care for with it is the drop syringe is sketchy and the powder seems a little sketchy too but the test overall is easy and works.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I don't care for with it is the drop syringe is sketchy and the powder seems a little sketchy too but the test overall is easy and works.

FYI, the powder reagent amount is not critical in a magnesium or calcium (or alkalinity) test kit. It is typically present in excess .

The critical measurements are the tank water volume and the titrant volume added. :)

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not know that (can't add 80% initially). Hmm. I'll check that. Thx.

Well in all fairness it doesn't say you can't it just doesn't say you can (which it does on the calcium test)

Interesting (and perhaps problematic) that so many people think the Red Sea is the easiest when it also seems to give a lot of people inaccurate (false high) readings.

If you get a value close to 1600 ppm or higher the first time you try, don't necessarily believe it lol
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/b...i-hanna-triton-awt.234660/page-3#post-2754827

That's weird. I did a Triton test recently and my Mg was 1531 with my Salifert registering 1425. Which one do you use Randy? I'm not married to my Salifert if there's something better and this info and my Triton tests are worrisome to me.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's weird. I did a Triton test recently and my Mg was 1531 with my Salifert registering 1425. Which one do you use Randy? I'm not married to my Salifert if there's something better and this info and my Triton tests are worrisome to me.

I don't know which, if either, is more accurate, but both are OK. :)

Ecvernon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert is my go to fpr magnesium.
With the red sea I literally always lost count since its required to swirl 15 seconds after every drop of reagent 5 times!
I was only able to test magnesium at night to avoid distractions from the children.

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a speed tester, stirs for you on some of those longer tests. Gets all the testing done in 5 mins

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, the powder reagent amount is not critical in a magnesium or calcium (or alkalinity) test kit. It is typically present in excess .

The critical measurements are the tank water volume and the titrant volume added. :)

Interesting and good to know. I always found it difficult to accurately measure out one level spoonful out of those tiny bottles. Glad to know it doesn't need to be exact.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back