Easiest Magnesium Test

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a little disappointed in my Salifert. Salifert 1425, Triton 1531. Still easy and repeatable. Since stability is more important not a big problem.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert has given me no reason to try anything else. It's been within 5% of my past 2 triton tests.

morgank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea one I had required you to swirl it for 10 seconds at least 5 times - before you even get to the titration part! Is that the one everyone is saying is easy???

I have the salifert now and it is much easier.

Jongalt26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think triton is the easiest. Red sea is not the easiest, i hate running mag tests with RS. Im definitely going nyos after my RS is depleted.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree I use my test with a magnetic stirrer and all the test at easy. This link is to a article I put together on how I use the stirrer to make my test simple and easy.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm color blind and hate the elos kit

I have not used salifert

Red Sea was ok had trouble seeing color

Nyos kit using red sea titrator so far my favorite

Lifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't care for the titrator on the Salifert. Just ordered the Red Sea I hope it is a little better

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have salifert for 12+ years. I'm used to it so there is no reason for me to switch. It's "easier" to just keep using the brand rather than switch to another. I also do Triton tests quarterly which help reaffirm within 10-20ppm.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyos is the only one I have used for Mg, but I find it pretty simple and straight forward. (Also use Nyos for Ca and Salifert for alkalinity. Wasn't a fan of the Red Sea alkalinity titration as it was too faint)

With the titration kits I always question whether it is done when the color begins to change but holds inbetween the beginning and final color or if it is done when it is solidly the final color. As in it starts off pink, begins transitioning to violet but shifts back to pink if you don't add any more titrant, then holds at violet, but another drop or two shifts to blue, which is supposed to be the final color. My problem is the wording states that the final color is blue but it is done when it begins to change blue (or whatever the final color is). Changing to violet is technically beginning to turn blue, but isn't actually turning blue.
(I know comsistancy is key, but when dealing with issues and trying to dose to fix a messed up salt mix, actually knowing what the parameters are is better. I'm also persnickity like that and can't justify testing if it is just a rough estimate to get close enough)

Haim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea is the professional development tests according to my experience.

Back