Madcanarys SCA 150g

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well brief intro, i always said id do a build thread but i also always said id never use ball valves and flex pipe....
So my dad always wanted a saltwater tank i always kept FW discus and rays. so prior to joining the Army the wife bought me a 29 Biocube, cool sand rock damsels few snails and crabs done! boy what little did i know. took me months to learn about evaporation, at least i used Walmart water to fill it.
back from training 9 months later tanks still alive, well bearly, my domino damsel attacked anything that moved, cyano everywhere. the solution? a bigger tank....

Then the worst happened i was injured during a company PT test wether i would be able to walk again was in the air, so during my time on the sofa 18months to be exact i took to learning and reading and i met a great guy in a local forum who has mentored me and helped my with my tank as well as personally he's on here as BUDMAN so if you see him make sure you tell him he's awesome.
we moved house in 2014 so i could get around easier great time for a new tank...

My 120G SPS dominate tank this was my learning tank got an Apex Controller, auto top, started dosing, bought non API test kits and introduced myself to Ecotechs line of products. The tank got full quickly so within a year i wanted to do my dream build the 6ft 210, this leaked on me twice, livestock was a total loss and i sold my coral to try recoup something but having Leng SY montipora and other high end SPS i pretty much gave it away to save it. i gave up, i was done, my house was destroyed we have to move out while contractors repaired the damage and replace all the floors....
Dealing with all my issues mental and physical my tank was always there i guess it didn't give up on me why give up on it? but i had lost so much and couldn't afford to start again, then i found PayPal credit and SCAquariums black Friday special..

A 150G 3 sided Starfire eurobraced aquarium, this was going to be my Phoenix.. everything i said i would do, rise from the ashes and rebuild.

My new but old sand was in a tote in the yard, my rock was still in tank water but in an unheated garage in the Alabama heat and now cold. time to clean scrub and bring it back to useable.i knew the tank dimensions and wanted to actually scape my reef rather than the old rock pile.
i used epoxy didn't work, i tried to drill and use driveway markers i settled happily using a combination of driveway markers and great stuff pond and stone foam.
i got an idea from a build thread about pre drilling rock for frag plugs, great idea i always had stuff falling.

Tank arrived had to drive an hour to get it from shipping depo all looks great....

Build a stand? Can't be too hard theres a bunch of youtube video right? time to find power tools..

Doors or open? i have kids so doors seems the best choice but i wanted to keep it clean and try stop my self from making do and throwing it together and "making it work"

Electrical sorted, time for paint.

I was going to skin it with plywood but i wanted a seamless look but i didn't leave the top so the sides wouldn't stick out further than the tank. so i just used filler on the joints and painted over, not perfect but I'm not skilled with woodworking either, I'm more of a chainsaw and duct tape guy.

Tanks in and level, Water test done, time for rock and sand.

Lightbulb moment, rather tan mixed in brute cans and shell in and pump, i bought 2 25ft sections of ice maker line and hooked directly to my RODI unit..

Salt Added, dosing Microbacter 7 along with ghost feeding, i met the Brightwell Aquatic guys at a local frag swap winning a door prize of their products. I will continue to use the liquid foods and additives and will continue to do so on this build. i recommend their products and used them with great success on my ULN 120.

My Regular build progression dropbox from the guys at Bulk Reef Supply, they must hate when we start new tanks, i seem to order every other day.

Sump in, i upgraded from my Stock Synergy Reef SS34 to a custom synergy that was built but never used which i picked up in a trade love their products i use their fallout shelter just wish i could afford one of their full custom sumps, maybe one day.

Got Everything glued together and started installing my equipment.

Never had a Refugium but i went with the SB Sprite Fuge they come highly recommend. i also invested in 3 1 inch plates of Marinepure to supplement the loss of LR. my daughter managed to help me unpack 2 boxes so we will call it rubble lol.

Installed the BRS screen kit, wife was concerned about dog hair in the tank.

flush mounted the apex head unit, i kinda messed up the hole so i cut a pice of vinyl and make it look good its different and i kinda like it.

still have to figure out how to add pictures, they will be coming.

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

6683ED38-46B2-46C3-9957-FB5E2F54851C.jpg

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0291.JPG

Last edited:

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. I'm getting this almost exact tank! Any issues so far? What about the eurobracing covering the overflow box?

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the tank, well made. Great customer service. Admittedly the eurobracing covering the overflow is a pain. I have 4 inch round overflow filters which I like to use but it won't fit. Forget getting your hand in there I had to throw bulk heads in and use my fingers from underneath to get them as for the filter for overflow I attached it to a section of pipe and pushed it flush with another section. i use herbie style so your setup maybe different depending on which style you use.
You'll be happy with the tank tho.

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so as you can see in my last picture i added the SBreef life for the refugium, its shown a decent amount of growth so far, i added another MP40QD due to the central overflow,
Not a lot of comments in this forum tough crowd lol.
IMG_0383.JPG

Added a DIY screen kit from BRS since i wanted to try and keep the fish in and the dog hair out.

IMG_0292.JPG

Had to order the Radion RMS system i have the Standard mounts but with the central overflow and eurobracing those won't work.
but i got them hooked up and programmed my light schedule from schwinns i love reefing.
fullsizeoutput_2e5.jpeg

I got my shipment of tangs in and got them straight into QT. First time ordering from liveaquaria but seen as my LFS is over an hour away and stocks are limited, i was happy to see the fish where well packaged and seemingly healthy.

IMG_0379.JPG

I measured my PAR at peak daytime using a BIOTEK BTM3000 seems like i got a good range.

IMG_0332.JPG

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I'm considering the SC112 as I want star fire glass and 18" depth. Wish their 150 was 18" wide!

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I'm considering the SC112 as I want star fire glass and 18" depth. Wish their 150 was 18" wide!
Call Steve he's great to talk with, I'm sure he could build the custom 60x24x18. i like the shallow tanks but i also like the depth i tried a 72x24x30 and it was just too deep.

Nicolas_Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the story and attention to details, following along! What's your stocking list looking like?

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the story and attention to details, following along! What's your stocking list looking like?

So far I have
a pair of occ. clowns which have paired
A royal Gramma
Sailfin
Orange shoulder
Caribbean blue, on second one
Kole yellow
Cleaner wrasse
Solarensis wrasse
Hippo tang.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great bro! Thanks for letting us take this journey with you!

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay was working on a reply and lost it, so as far as coral goes.
Green slimer
WWC slimeball
Birds of paradise
Pink birds nest
Green birds nest
Orange digi
Tri colour granulosa
Blue stag
Blue Stylophora
Green Stylophora
GSP
TSA Firework cloves
Zoa's - Bam Bams, Utter Chaos, laser lemons, blow pops, Rasta's, and some i cant remember off hand.
IMG_0531.JPG

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing some maintenance i decided to move the Ecotech controllers since i was going to add a vectra at a later date and i wouldn't have space unless i added the controller in a random space.
IMG_0554.JPG

mounted with Velcro, I'm going to have to get hard mounts so i can get them straight, i also had issues with my Newer Radion not keeping internal schedule so my lights would not keep any schedule after a week back and fourth with @EcoTech Marine support they sent me a warranty replacement and solved the issue.

Deciding to go with Triton on this system so i had to get a second Dos i also ran some conduit to keep the tubing neat down one edge.
IMG_0606.JPG

i also found some 90 plugs for my light to keep a lower profile. i had to upgrade my ATO from my Amazon 5 gallon and used a nice tote which has a waterproof seal i plan on adding a work surface so it will look neater but for now it looks clean.
IMG_0560.JPG

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made the switch from Redsea to NYOS for nitrate, i like the test kit super easy to read. as always alk and phosphate, LR and ULR as always I'm battling nutrient issues, last tank never had water changes apart from sump cleaning and any other issues. not a bad issue to have but not ideal circumstances.
CA0432C8-F04F-40AF-9B8A-E819BECA6644.jpg

4C797564-D3D8-4A40-BFC5-6C47C30E79E7.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back