madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0454.JPG
IMG_0586.JPG

Some updated tank shots. i changed my vortech schedule tank cleaned up literally overnight i was dropping my speeds down to 35% i guess it wasn't getting stuff through the system. i bumped it up and added pulse before and after my transport cycle i found this agitated the detritus and kept it suspended longer.

IMG_0686.PNG

i changed from schwings old Radion schedule to his new one in his 4k video on i love reefing. with his old schedule i had great growth.
http://ilovereefing.de/aktualisierter-ecosmartlive-radion-schedule-vortech/?lang=en
hope posting the link is allowed. a FTS was posted earlier of the new schedule i think it makes the tank look cleaner more white, natural looking and the blues are toned down substantially.

Still no nitrates, managed to get 0.002 phosphates briefly but they haven't been seen again. now for some tank trouble.....

i noticed a few white spots smaller than Ich almost powdery i had QT'd my fish for 4 weeks using TTM and prazi on transfer 2 and 4.. only thing i could think of was Velvet after talking on here seems doing TTM you have to QT for 8 weeks to allow velvet to show its ugly head, i lost everything within 2 days apart from the clowns, sail fin and solarensis wrasse. The sailfin ended up losing most of his fins but a week later he's recovering and all eating well.

Then i started to notice a clear filamentus type algae showing up. after an ID session on here seems although its an active strain of Crysophages.

IMG_0591.JPG

within a few weeks it looks like this it was isolated to the left of the tank but manual removal took care of that and it spread. its very easy to remove from rocks.
its started to grow in tufts now. Still ULNS.

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

I've considered most possibilities and fixes I'm at a loss, I'm going to obtain a microscope for further evaluation thank you @twilliard for your help with this.
I've dosed some Vibrant cleaner as recommended by a member here.

@UWC heres some pre treatment pictures. stay tuned for progress...

Last edited:
OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Road trip this past weekend to @budman, you need to check this guys system and frag packs his systems are amazing.
i acquired the following

Tyree pink lemonade
ORA purple nana
Jason Fox sour twist
encrusting hydrophobia
ORA blue voodoo
ASD rainbow milli
Hairy mushroom
Forest fire
Leng Sy
Strawberry shortcake
Red planet
PC rainbow

all doing well and crazy PE

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also installed a tank side cabinet for all my supplies since i wanted to make the effort continue of this build been the best of my ability.

IMG_0685.JPG

much better than a plastic drawer system

IMG_0683.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

Wifes dry chalk markers glow under UV... its the simple things!!!
so as of right now I'm all all caught up. thank you guys for following. any advice or help with things as i progress I'm really pushing my boundrys in this build and this thread is the first time I've every tried doing anything like this. not bad for 3 years in the hobby and only 1.5 years since i started having a clue it took a year for to know what an ATO was.. i used to top off a gallon when i remembered in a 29 biocube. i used to buy all my water from walmart.. look at me know...

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well decided to try @UWC Vibrant Aquarium Cleaner, since i have no clue how to deal with Crysophates or this random Algae.
I'm happy to say I'm impressed.
heres some progress...
IMG_0676.JPG

before...

IMG_0699.JPG

24 hrs....

IMG_0719.JPG

48 hrs...

needless to say happy with the results...

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you are using the IM seaweed holder. As an FYI I have an IM tank and plenty of IM equipment. The only thing I am unhappy with is the seaweed holder. The magnet on the wet side rusted and bulged on 2 of them. Exposed rusted metal in the tank 2 times. Recommend you keep an eye on it. And beautiful tank by the way!

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you are using the IM seaweed holder. As an FYI I have an IM tank and plenty of IM equipment. The only thing I am unhappy with is the seaweed holder. The magnet on the wet side rusted and bulged on 2 of them. Exposed rusted metal in the tank 2 times. Recommend you keep an eye on it. And beautiful tank by the way!
Yikes!! i had noticed that the epoxy holding the magnet had started to come away.. ill recheck and fill with super glue. good call.

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yikes!!!
IMG_0724.JPG

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up sawing the top part off and using my glass cleaner to hold it in place........works great now and no metal in the tank.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae that was growing on your rocks I am pretty sure it's normal for a new tank and being dry rock. I remember going through the exact same thing and freaking out and after about two weeks it went away, I also added a few turbo snails and it was almost gone as fast as it came on.

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae that was growing on your rocks I am pretty sure it's normal for a new tank and being dry rock. I remember going through the exact same thing and freaking out and after about two weeks it went away, I also added a few turbo snails and it was almost gone as fast as it came on.

Yeah I'm used to the normal blooms been through a few tanks with was a more persistent one. It's since cleared up using Vibrant Aquarium cleaner.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called IM and they sent me a new one.
Very impressed with the redesign makes the first generation look like cheap junk.
awesome! can you post a pic of the new design please?

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great build. can't wait to learn more as your tank matures.

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start. Whole system looks very well thought out. I'll be following for sure. What algae are you growing in the Fuge?

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this happened.... Neotherm 200w. after a call to #cobaltaquatics i got 2 new replacements in the mail. Excellent customer service, i have no issue running the new ones in my tank.
however, Seems like set back after set back so far with this build with more to come.
I've been dealing with a few issues but seem to be back on the up and up. ill update this thread over the weekend.

IMG_0688.JPG

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.9%
Back