Madcanarys SCA 150g

tpack17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your thoughts on the rms mounts? Too close or just right. I have the same tank with the ghost overflow and no eurobracing. Going with 3 G4's also. Just wondering if 12" would be better??

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your thoughts on the rms mounts? Too close or just right. I have the same tank with the ghost overflow and no eurobracing. Going with 3 G4's also. Just wondering if 12" would be better??
I like the RMS it's an easy all in system I've had some issues getting the PAR tuned and am running my lights around 28% with bleaching coral.
Thanks for looking I figured this had died so I stopped updating. Seesh now I have some work.

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update again?

Yes I was just thinking this the other day, I’ve had some battles with this tank. It’s coming around. I didn’t think anyone was interested anymore.
I’ve just ordered the Triton sump from Synergy so was going to update this thing to catch up.
Thanks for following stay tuned for updates.

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome! can you post a pic of the new design please?

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a battle with the first algae bloom identified as chyrosophages, maybe thats close to correct. So i decided that since i had 3 lights instead of 2 i should change my schedule i changed to the accliamed AB+. after a day or so i noticed by coral bleaching thought it could be due to low nutrients. well i was wrong lighting schedule somehow didnt save when i dropped the intensity so my corals got all the Pros could throw at them..

Moving on, QT with TTM i was most concerned with ICH, did 4 weeks and gave my tank a healthy dose of Velvet. all dead i managed to save my sail.. so begins 74 days of fallow. I had some Tangs in QT so here begins the cycle again. ill monitor for agression i have some #synergyreefsystems fallou shelters
IMG_0977.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all stocked up on Prazi, cupramine test kits and a new ammonia badge im in for the long haul.
So it seems like it wasnt my time for glory so much for planning, so what struggling coral survived the great light, where now subject to 0 bioload and someone left the 500+ gallon rated skimmer going... whos says you cant kill it.
IMG_1125.JPG

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way now we doing great, killed the algea, burned the coral, killed the fish. Now we starving the tank to death. well at least its holding water right. but wait theres more........ i still have coral holding on or do i? so since we are fallow i have no pest control. there goes the neighbourhood.
IMG_0828.JPG

that was an Leng Sy from Steve...

Last edited:
OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0823.JPG

well since theres nothing going on with the tank lets add some more equipment because why not at least this wont die on me.

I bought the extra DOS tubing but that stuff was so kinked its unusable so a replaced with the RODI line i used to fill the tank. works well

Last edited:
OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think it was about this time i lost intest in my tank, and left it i was dosing around 0.3ml of core7 and maintaing Alk at 8.0.
IMG_1093.JPG
IMG_1096.JPG

bought a tank teardown of coral from a buddy notice the dead forest fire top right.. yeah remember that guy..

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where was i here, oh yeah i figured id spend more cash and keep the wife happy at the same time, id set up a frag tank in the garage that way i could have a place to save my coral if something every happend.
i also bough 45g mixing barrels so it would look better than the old brutes.
IMG_0743.JPG

So back to keeping the wife happy, epoxy floor and pain the walls with high quality exterior paint rather than the old matt indoor paint, new shelving we cooking now.
IMG_0893.JPG

Yeah so i didnt think about filling the cracks before i did the floor. i guess you get what you pay for.
IMG_0894.JPG

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DAF223D4-5D9E-475F-AA6D-B7F30DAD6DC2.jpg

Who said QT where cheap.. the 10g just wasnt going to make the long haul. very impressed with this tank.
i bought the ghost skimmer so i could use it after treatments while i was observing the tank.
IMG_1224.JPG

So.... where are we? oh yeah the main tank i checked on it its stil there.

IMG_1256.JPG

time for some colour again #budman to the rescue with an awesome frag pack #budmancorals for some of the crazy selection and prices..
Added my 1st few fish fallow done it was a horrible 76 days let me tell you.

OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1387.JPG

Another updated shot, coming along in back checking in on everything alk still the same nothing really to write home about coral not growing for some reason must be the low nutrients so i thought.
turns out been a few 100 low on Mg didnt seem like a bug issue untill i figured out how much i needed to dose to correct...
lets fast forward to where im increasing my triton dosing daily and things are looking good corals are starting to look happy everthing is awesome..
IMG_1551.JPG

remember this little guy..
IMG_1803.JPG

picked up some sweet additions from murfreesboro aquatics in TN josh is a great guy...

C3E081C4-AD2B-4296-BC64-2FAA02090E93.jpg

Its amazing how much Alk, Ca and Mg all react to each other. this is just a few weeks growth after i adjusted the correct levels

Last edited:
OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so here we are everything ticking along doing pretty good... oh wait whats that?
IMG_1852.JPG

Just your friendly neighbourhood bryopsis.. i swear im about to claim this tank on homeowners. thanks to the guys on the forums here i dosed
Fluconazole and it worked a charm after about 3 weeks it was pretty much gone i still have some white residual today.
609FE683-B353-4ECD-B275-BAC072D67F76.jpg

just my luck. well i beat the odds and survived. i gotten a few more corals in and tank is looking decent, i ordered the #synergyreefsystems TS-44, Venessa is great to deal with and Rick and the guys work is amazing this is my 3rd Synergy sump. so stay tuned for that im excited to rebuild my sump area and redo my plumbing because oh yeah we all love that.
IMG_1955.JPG
IMG_1981.JPG

I dont know why i love that filter so much.

Oh i almost forgot i found a rusted kids toy complete with batteries in my refugium and what looked like some kind of food source so i had to clean and restart my refugium.
i added doors to the stand made by a local cabinet maker.
IMG_1892.JPG

i stained one to see if i liked the colour, i think thats what ill go with.

i also upgraded the QT system with some goodies because simple dont cut it for me i guess and it was in the kitchen so i could see it.

IMG_1967.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
madcanary

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
almost forgot, those 200w #cobaltaquatic neotherms that bust a few months ago?!? oh yeah turns out they where not the new version they sent....
lost all my livestock and my coral is ticked again....

IMG_1932.JPG

They did say sorry our equipment fried you tank almost burned the house down filling it with nouxious chemical smoke heres 2 replacements and a 25% off coupon. while i understand they stand behind there products i was kinda dissapointed i thought they may have reached out further, these things aint cheap and i just bought another for my QT system. talk about brand loyalty.
Either way i lost all my fish but that dang sailfin and a yellow wrasse. i added another #avast MR5 filled with carbon to help the spyglass remove any toxins. coral recovered but im back to square one with my fish.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that sucks, lots of hard hits, very discouraging, nothing good happens fast. Keep your chin up and have some happy reefing.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back