Easiest Non-Pest Nudis to keep sustainably

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, like many reefers, find myself particularly fascinated by nudibranchs and sea slugs. However, I do think it's sad, both for the nudi and the reefer, when unknowing refers buy just any old nudi and expect it to live in their tank, only for it to starve and die. My question is, which would be the easiest to keep? When I say "keep" I'm not really talking keep and spend a fortune on buying food for them- I'm talking their food can be sustainably grown in our tanks, even if we have to set up a dedicated tank or sump to do so.

Needless to say, the first step is to get a definitive ID on whatever one is buying, which can be extremely difficult and often more work than it's worth for reefers. Once you get that, then you can start weighing whether or not it's possible to take care of it. Other considerations such as covered overflows and such will not be considered, though you should consider them if you would like to keep any soft-bodied invert.

I'm thinking something like a Dolabella sea hare seems to be among the best candidate for captivity if somebody had a large tank with a hair algae problem or a way to grow a continuous amount of algae (dolabella auricularia in particular seems to consume a variety of algae types, look here).

Other sea hares may be possible as well- I'll link you to this list of studies on the diets of different sea hare diets.

Lettuce sea slugs can be a bit more tricky, seeing as they only eat bryopsis. Again, it is possible to culture bryopsis in a large tank or sump, and the adults seem to be able to photosynthesize in order to live for 6ish weeks without bryopsis.

Berghias I'm going to include because I have heard of people keeping breeding colonies of these. One would keep a species tank for aiptasia (very strange, I know), and chop some off and throw it into the berghia tank.

Blue velvet nudis, Casella sp., are where we start to enter the realm of not so possible nudis. The ONLY imaginable scenario I can imagine for keeping these long-term is by breeding polyclad flatworms by feeding clams or something (never heard of anybody doing this, but it might be possible). Not sure how fast polyclads reproduce compared to how much a velvet nudi eats, but maybe with a large enough breeding tank it is possible, though I am very doubtful and would request that only an expert reefer tries this.

Nembrotha kubaryana- cool black and green-looking nudi, but it feeds on tunicates and I don't know of any ways to effectively culture tunicates. This one I'm gonna say is impossible atm.

Dondice occidentalis eats specific hydroids, so are pretty much impossible for captivity

Gymnodoris aurita- strawberry nudibranch- east other nudis

The following nudis all eat specific groups of sponges, meaning they are not suitable for captivity

Hypselodoris bullocki- pink with white and yellow accents
Glossodoris atromarginata- white with black accents
Phyllidia varicosa- black with blue warts (probably eats sponges)
Chromodoris magnifica- orange with black and white accents
Hexabranchus sanguineus- spanish dancer nudi

I tried to find information on every nudi I could find for sale online, but who knows if they're correctly identified. In short, don't buy nudis or sea slugs on a whim- they are specialized feeders and often don't live their full life (which is usually short regardless) in captivity. If they were that easy to keep, everybody would have one!

Note: If anybody has anything to add or any experiences with nudis to share, post below!

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nudis are caterpillars of the water world, most caterpillars can not survive off the plants you could grow in a typical windowsill, most nudibranch can not live in a small home aquarium, you most likely will need around a hundred or more gallons devoted to the host species, or a bunch of aquariums the animals are transferred between, they tend to live short and eat quick

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nudis are caterpillars of the water world, most caterpillars can not survive off the plants you could grow in a typical windowsill, most nudibranch can not live in a small home aquarium, you most likely will need around a hundred or more gallons devoted to the host species, or a bunch of aquariums the animals are transferred between, they tend to live short and eat quick
That's true, but unfortunately, most people aren't going to be deterred by saying they won't live long. Plus, I do think that the lettuce nudis and even berghias are decently feasible for reefers to keep, provided they have a setup that allows it. A full tank of aiptasia or bryopsis would be necessary, but I'm sure some people (though very few) would be willing to have that because of their attraction to nudis.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true, but unfortunately, most people aren't going to be deterred by saying they won't live long. Plus, I do think that the lettuce nudis and even berghias are decently feasible for reefers to keep, provided they have a setup that allows it. A full tank of aiptasia or bryopsis would be necessary, but I'm sure some people (though very few) would be willing to have that because of their attraction to nudis.
i mean if someone devotes a 100 gallon tank to a monoculture of a specific polyp, sponge, tunicate or other organism to feed the nudibranch, it could make for an interesting setup

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean if someone devotes a 100 gallon tank to a monoculture of a specific polyp, sponge, tunicate or other organism to feed the nudibranch, it could make for an interesting setup
Agreed- I would be surprised if somebody could keep the food sources (specifically tunicates and sponges) alive and would be even more shocked if they would be able to provide conditions so favorable that said sponge/tunicate would grow fast enough to fill a 100-gallon tank in a reasonable amount of time and would regenerate fairly quickly from any predation. However, I do think it would be feasible to have a 100 gallon overrun with bryopsis (in fact I bet some people on r2r have this :p ) in which case a lettuce nudi could survive and thrive and possibly even breed. I have certainly heard stories of reefers keeping breeding colonies of lettuce nudis too, but that is such a broad category, and the species they kept likely stayed small. Lord knows if anybody can even identify or find another one (or a pair, if you wanted to breed them) of that specific species.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed- I would be surprised if somebody could keep the food sources (specifically tunicates and sponges) alive and would be even more shocked if they would be able to provide conditions so favorable that said sponge/tunicate would grow fast enough to fill a 100-gallon tank in a reasonable amount of time and would regenerate fairly quickly from any predation. However, I do think it would be feasible to have a 100 gallon overrun with bryopsis (in fact I bet some people on r2r have this :p ) in which case a lettuce nudi could survive and thrive and possibly even breed. I have certainly heard stories of reefers keeping breeding colonies of lettuce nudis too, but that is such a broad category, and the species they kept likely stayed small. Lord knows if anybody can even identify or find another one (or a pair, if you wanted to breed them) of that specific species.
not as hard as you'd think if there is no other tank competition such as corals etc and a significant refugium devoted to growing planktonic organisms, a very large setup though that most aquarists would shy away from

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not as hard as you'd think if there is no other tank competition such as corals etc and a significant refugium devoted to growing planktonic organisms, a very large setup though that most aquarists would shy away from
That's true- that's one thing I would love to do- I suppose there is still a way to make a beautiful tank designed for a nudibranch- I bet the only issue would be to find the nudi in such a large system.

Why do you say tank competition reduces sponge/tunicate growth? I would guess that so long as you're providing a proportional amount of planktonic food, there should be no issue. Do you not think that's the case?

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true- that's one thing I would love to do- I suppose there is still a way to make a beautiful tank designed for a nudibranch- I bet the only issue would be to find the nudi in such a large system.

Why do you say tank competition reduces sponge/tunicate growth? I would guess that so long as you're providing a proportional amount of planktonic food, there should be no issue. Do you not think that's the case?
lots of corals and invertebrates compete with sponges in a home aquarium, not to mention filters will. In nature there is so much plankton that everyone has a niche, but the plankton types are often more limited indoors, part of why sponges often starve to death in our tanks, the ones that live are the ones taking particles other invertebrates and filters are not taking, either very small or with other qualities that make them avoid being taken from the water. Not to mention they can fast for longer than other types of sponges

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lots of corals and invertebrates compete with sponges in a home aquarium, not to mention filters will. In nature there is so much plankton that everyone has a niche, but the plankton types are often more limited indoors, part of why sponges often starve to death in our tanks, the ones that live are the ones taking particles other invertebrates and filters are not taking, either very small or with other qualities that make them avoid being taken from the water. Not to mention they can fast for longer than other types of sponges
Interesting- another tricky layer is correctly IDing a sponge or tunicate and getting it in the tank without anything that will compete with it. It seems that actually culturing it would be the easiest part. On top of that, you set up a 100 gallon system for a nudi that you don't even know is correctly IDed most of the time.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting- another tricky layer is correctly IDing a sponge or tunicate and getting it in the tank without anything that will compete with it. It seems that actually culturing it would be the easiest part. On top of that, you set up a 100 gallon system for a nudi that you don't even know is correctly IDed most of the time.
i did not even think about that part, many sponges can only be identified to a species level with a microscope. There is a lot of nudibranch species though, and some have more generalist diets than others, kinda like how monarch butterflies eat mostly milkweed while the cabbage moth is super destructive to a bunch of plants

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did not even think about that part, many sponges can only be identified to a species level with a microscope. There is a lot of nudibranch species though, and some have more generalist diets than others, kinda like how monarch butterflies eat mostly milkweed while the cabbage moth is super destructive to a bunch of plants
Good analogy- Unfortunately the "dream nudis" for me and a bunch of people would be something like a Hypselodoris bullocki or a chromodoris willani (I mean come on- dorids are gorgeous), though I would bet that we will never be able to keep those successfully in captivity (at least at the hobbyist level). I can see some aeolids, perhaps some that eat "pest" softies like blue clove polyps and xenias could become big in reef-keeping- I'm thinking of those tanks that use one of those two to fill the space between acros or other sps- Large xenia-ridden tanks could definitely sustain some of those nudis that eat those corals, provided one could get their hands on them.

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fact, some of those tritoniids (the nudis that feed on soft corals) are really cool- perhaps somebody could keep one of those depending on size. Again- still meant for a very particular type of system where soft corals are free to be eaten :p

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good analogy- Unfortunately the "dream nudis" for me and a bunch of people would be something like a Hypselodoris bullocki or a chromodoris willani (I mean come on- dorids are gorgeous), though I would bet that we will never be able to keep those successfully in captivity (at least at the hobbyist level). I can see some aeolids, perhaps some that eat "pest" softies like blue clove polyps and xenias could become big in reef-keeping- I'm thinking of those tanks that use one of those two to fill the space between acros or other sps- Large xenia-ridden tanks could definitely sustain some of those nudis that eat those corals, provided one could get their hands on them.
and of course dorids are often sponge eaters, maybe we need to encourage sponge keeping more so we can raise them better

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and of course dorids are often sponge eaters, maybe we need to encourage sponge keeping more so we can raise them better
True that- an all-sponge tank could really be stunning. Possibly for a FOWLR (I guess not really if there are gonna be sponges) would be good for it so that there are no corals competing. It does seem a little sad to phyto dose to a tank with no corals though.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True that- an all-sponge tank could really be stunning. Possibly for a FOWLR (I guess not really if there are gonna be sponges) would be good for it so that there are no corals competing. It does seem a little sad to phyto dose to a tank with no corals though.
long before the modern reefs sponge reefs were actually quite common, there used to be a group called Stromatoporoids that were exceptionally influential for many millions of years, some speculation exists if they are truly extinct or not, but all the original species are long extinct

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are nidibranches that eat yellow sponge ?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plenty of species, part of why some have bright colors, it ends up being a camoflauge on the colorful sponges
I have a huge rock covered in yellow sponge.
Angelfish are supposed to eat it but none ever have .
it just keeps growing .

that being said , I have tried looking for blue velvet nudi to combat red flatworms but can’t find them anywhere

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a huge rock covered in yellow sponge.
Angelfish are supposed to eat it but none ever have .
it just keeps growing .

that being said , I have tried looking for blue velvet nudi to combat red flatworms but can’t find them anywhere
show a pic

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
show a pic
image.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back