Easiest Way to Grow Coralline Algae?

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my reef tank bank in Jan 2017 with dry rock but I don't have any coralline algae growth. Whats the easiest and fastest way to get some coralline algae? My system is BB and would like the pretty purple colors on the bottom glass, rear glass, overflow etc Thanks

Tank Parm:
Alk - 8-9
Ca- 420-450
Sal 1.026
Mg - 1350

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy rock with it on it. I also bought snails covered in corline.
what if I don't have space for more rock in my system? or I don't want to introduce any pests from live rock? snails for some reason don't really survived in my system

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a rock or whatever with some coralline on it. Put it in a bucket with some tank water and scrape off as much as you can. Turn off tank circulation pumps and sprinkle what you scraped off into tank. 30 minutes later turn circulating pumps back on. Your tank is now seeded. Some critters, like urchins, will eat it/help keep tank clean of coralline

._Z_.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a thread discussing a product called arc reef coralline, which contains live coralline algae spores. Last I checked it looked like the collective belief on the product is that it isn’t as snake-oily as it sounds.

Something to consider if it’s worth dropping $20 to you.

Otherwise pick a snail or hermit from your LFS with a purple shell.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago I started a tank with complete dry rock and seeded it with rubble with coraline on it. I would say it took 1.5 years before I really started noticing decent coraline coverage. It does take a while for the spores to spread. Looking back what I should have done it get quite a few pieces of rubble covered in coraline. Scrape off as much as I can, and put in blender with a kalkwasser solution. Pour in your tank. I know someone that did this and the rate of spread was exponential, and you make it almost impossible to introduce pests.

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping alkalinity consistent 8.4 really helps. You can also speed up the process back lightly scraping some from a donor. I keep a hidden mason jar which continuously helps in seeding other tanks for friends.
20190107_121337.jpeg
20190107_121724.jpeg

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coralline seeding method will work, but the pretty colored stuff will grow all over the tank and not just on the few places you mentioned. Once you have it, you will have to scrape it to keep it off the viewing panels.

Just so you know.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a rock or whatever with some coralline on it. Put it in a bucket with some tank water and scrape off as much as you can. Turn off tank circulation pumps and sprinkle what you scraped off into tank. 30 minutes later turn circulating pumps back on. Your tank is now seeded. Some critters, like urchins, will eat it/help keep tank clean of coralline
That's a great idea. Also the rock doesn't need to be that big. You could use rubble as well. All your looking for is seed. Another way is have a trusted reefer give you scrapings from thier tank.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is coralline algae a good thing to have or would it compete with corals for space to grow? what are the real benefits besides the pretty color?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It helps be the rocks together. It's really something that you can't avoid anyway. Sooner or later you'll end up with from coral or adding inverts.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is coralline algae a good thing to have or would it compete with corals for space to grow? what are the real benefits besides the pretty color?

Some encrusting corals grow better on coraline than bare rock. Areas covered in coraline tend to have less algae growth as well. It does absorb Ca and Alk though, so just watch those and you are in good shape.

._Z_.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Other reported benefits are that it makes it harder for nuisance algae to grow. Which is why I want to get my rocks covered

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buddy of mine is giving me rock covered in coralline algae, im gonna break it up with a hammer and scatter the pieces inside the tank the rest I will dump into my sump and hopefully it will take off and grow I can't really place into a blender

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have a lot of sensitive corals yet you can raise you alk to around 12 and that will help give your coralline a kick start. Once it’s growing well lower it back down to the range you want. Also make sure you have detectable nutrients in the tank, I can always tell when my nitrates or phosphates are low because the coralline doesn’t look as vibrant and stops growing

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my reef tank bank in Jan 2017 with dry rock but I don't have any coralline algae growth. Whats the easiest and fastest way to get some coralline algae? My system is BB and would like the pretty purple colors on the bottom glass, rear glass, overflow etc Thanks

Tank Parm:
Alk - 8-9
Ca- 420-450
Sal 1.026
Mg - 1350
You didn't mention your Nitrate level. Could be too high for snails?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buddy of mine is giving me rock covered in coralline algae, im gonna break it up with a hammer and scatter the pieces inside the tank the rest I will dump into my sump and hopefully it will take off and grow I can't really place into a blender

I am in the process of setting up a new tank and bought a cheapo $20 blender from walmart. You would be shocked how well it works blended with kalkwasser.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back