Easy beginner soft coral

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always find it comical that advanced hard coral hobbyists suggest that letting soft Coral species overrun their tanks is a terrible plan because the goal should be to have gardcorals over run you tank?! The reason? It is so much harder that it is admirable! One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor :)

a

I don't keep SPS. Only Softies and LPS. I think I made it very clear that gsp or Xenia in large numbers can been beautiful and if that's what the poster wanted, they should absolutely do it. However very many people get bit by the coral bug and may struggle for space to keep collecting due to early decisions to add what are often touted as beginner corals that have a tendency to overtake a tank if you are not careful. My words were there to encourage caution and planning so that the poster went into it with their eyes open, not to prescribe any proper or particular way to collect or keep coral. SPS coral gardens are not some ultimate end game everyone should strive for. As I mention, I myself do not even do this. But it would be niave to suggest that a great great many new reefers do not eventually work up to our strive to keep a diverse array of more advanced corals. I fear your comment is misplaced friend.

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't keep SPS. Only Softies and LPS. I think I made it very clear that gsp or Xenia in large numbers can been beautiful and if that's what the poster wanted, they should absolutely do it. However very many people get bit by the coral bug and may struggle for space to keep collecting due to early decisions to add what are often touted as beginner corals that have a tendency to overtake a tank if you are not careful. My words were there to encourage caution and planning so that the poster went into it with their eyes open, not to prescribe any proper or particular way to collect or keep coral. SPS coral gardens are not some ultimate end game everyone should strive for. As I mention, I myself do not even do this. But it would be niave to suggest that a great great many new reefers do not eventually work up to our strive to keep a diverse array of more advanced corals. I fear your comment is misplaced friend.
I agree with both of you. Soft coral can take over a tank however that might be exactly what he wants. Which points back to my origional reply. DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY, HAVE FUN WITH IT AND DONT LET ANYONE ELSE MAKE DECISIONS FOR YOU. You're going to make mistakes. You're going to lose coral. Everyone has. No one here is perfect or above anyone else. The question was what is easy to start off with. You can always remove the coral at a later date. Trim the coral back or just let it run wild. As long as it's what you want...it doesnt matter what you start with. One of my favorites is gsp. Doesn't mean it will be yours. But I tell you what siner let me know when you believe your tank is stable and you're ready to advance, PM me with your address or phone number, and I will personally send you a bubble mushroom, like a sunkist bounce or something like that for free. It wont cost you a thing. And you can do with it what you like. Keep it...grow it out...have babies... trade it for something you really want etc. My gift to you to welcome you to the hobby. Keep your head up buddy.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love a softie tank that has been overrun with Coral. So much color and texture!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do we really consider Zenia, kenyii, GSP and similar as coral? I see many stores classify themselves as such and I view them as weeds and giveaway specimens locally by me.
I would view starter/beginner as Leather, Paly, Zoa and Acans as good beginner and Actual coral specimens.
Thoughts?

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we really consider Zenia, kenyii, GSP and similar as coral? I see many stores classify themselves as such and I view them as weeds and giveaway specimens locally by me.
I would view starter/beginner as Leather, Paly, Zoa and Acans as good beginner and Actual coral specimens.
Thoughts?
That's act a good point you make and theoretically use they are weed to some sort of degree however there is a demand for it and you have to remember this...this is a buyer's market. When you enter your local fish store you dont ever see a tank marked ...weeds...5.00 per bundle. And weed or not people do enjoy making their tanks look natural. And above being a weed some of these items still provide help to aquariums be it feeding off of bacteria or waster..or providing scenery...of a haven for certain things to hide in. It helps bring the hobbies together even by the smallest of means. And unfortunantly nothing is for Free. No one is going to sell you a turd in a bag and say good luck with your turd.....but these are marketable items and even though you may veiw them turds in the coral arena....fundamentally...someone can make a profit off of it and thus it is sold. So new discussion....how was that for some put together bs and rambling? Do you believe anything I have said is factual...or is it just the weariness of only getting 30 mins of sleep but still voably wanting to speak up so I feel like I fit in? No matter how big or small
...how cheap or expensive...happy coraline and goodnight.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That's act a good point you make and theoretically use they are weed to some sort of degree however there is a demand for it and you have to remember this...this is a buyer's market. When you enter your local fish store you dont ever see a tank marked ...weeds...5.00 per bundle. And weed or not people do enjoy making their tanks look natural. And above being a weed some of these items still provide help to aquariums be it feeding off of bacteria or waster..or providing scenery...of a haven for certain things to hide in. It helps bring the hobbies together even by the smallest of means. And unfortunantly nothing is for Free. No one is going to sell you a turd in a bag and say good luck with your turd.....but these are marketable items and even though you may veiw them turds in the coral arena....fundamentally...someone can make a profit off of it and thus it is sold. So new discussion....how was that for some put together crap and rambling? Do you believe anything I have said is factual...or is it just the weariness of only getting 30 mins of sleep but still voably wanting to speak up so I feel like I fit in? No matter how big or small
...how cheap or expensive...happy coraline and goodnight.

Very good point made. Thats' why I was seeking thoughts from others. Each region handles this differently. In the many on-line auctions we see, you wont see them offered as a frag or coral, nor do any of the stores here in WI southeast.
They to me are a poor man's coral and I remember a time hungry for some Xenia. I have a tank with many varieties of poor mans specimens and I am fortunate to get any of these free through club members of clubs I belong to.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always find it comical that advanced hard coral hobbyists suggest that letting soft Coral species overrun their tanks is a terrible plan because the goal should be to have gardcorals over run you tank?! The reason? It is so much harder that it is admirable! One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor :)

a
Check out Mike C's softy tank. Name one reefer that would be ashamed of that. It is just amazing.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thoughts?
One man's trash is another man's treasure. I think the area you live in plays a big role. Here, Xenia are 30 a frag, but we don't get high end coral like you do here. Demographics can't support a store to carry it. I notice a trend with people asking for Gsp and Xenia in areas that do keep high end coral in stock.

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@siner94 bottom line here, buy what you like, don't worry about what anybody else thinks. A tank is personal, intimate even. I agree GSP and Xenia are probably best on a rock of their own, but certainly beautiful.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@siner94 bottom line here, buy what you like, don't worry about what anybody else thinks. A tank is personal, intimate even. I agree GSP and Xenia are probably best on a rock of their own, but certainly beautiful.

Agreed..... each tank is one's creation. Don't get me wrong - I have a tank ( see pic with many of these species) And yes, each region will have a market for different kinds of classifications of coral. $30 for a frag is outrageous as I have seen a vendor at a swap who had Kenyii for $5. I saw two ads locally by me here yesterday offering free xenia.
I remember buying a softball sized rock full of xenia 2 years ago because it also had shrooms from a private party for $45

drop off1.jpg

OP
OP
siner94

siner94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with both of you. Soft coral can take over a tank however that might be exactly what he wants. Which points back to my origional reply. DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY, HAVE FUN WITH IT AND DONT LET ANYONE ELSE MAKE DECISIONS FOR YOU. You're going to make mistakes. You're going to lose coral. Everyone has. No one here is perfect or above anyone else. The question was what is easy to start off with. You can always remove the coral at a later date. Trim the coral back or just let it run wild. As long as it's what you want...it doesnt matter what you start with. One of my favorites is gsp. Doesn't mean it will be yours. But I tell you what siner let me know when you believe your tank is stable and you're ready to advance, PM me with your address or phone number, and I will personally send you a bubble mushroom, like a sunkist bounce or something like that for free. It wont cost you a thing. And you can do with it what you like. Keep it...grow it out...have babies... trade it for something you really want etc. My gift to you to welcome you to the hobby. Keep your head up buddy.

That would be awesome and of course I would keep and grow it out...I will message you later on when I think I’m ready or better say when my tank is ready haha. I appreciate all the feed back from all of you guys that took the time to help. Thanks

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That would be awesome and of course I would keep and grow it out...I will message you later on when I think I’m ready or better say when my tank is ready haha. I appreciate all the feed back from all of you guys that took the time to help. Thanks

Wow - very nice of Something else.!!!

Back