Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi SPS folks,

I have a 3x2 shallowish tank, with the following inhabitants:
1. Gigantea anemone
2. Squamosa, Crocea Clams
3. Yellow toadstool, Green Sinularia and Purplish brown Sinularia

As you can see, its a rather easy tank (so far)., other than dosing occasionally due to the clams.

I'm interested in getting some easy SPS to add some structure & color to the centre area of the tank but could not decide between a group of birdnest or montipora corals.

I read that birdnest corals will inevitably die inside out. Montipora digitata seem good, but plating ones get huge I imagine.

But in the end, ease of care is what matters.

OP
OP
N

Nami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume mixing them will result in warfare, as I plan to place them quite close to one another right under the central lighting where its most intense.

Also available space in 3x2 tank is not as big as I imagine it to be ;Nailbiting.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birdsnests can be found relatively cheap and are a good 'canary' coral, and can be very rewarding as they can make monti growth seem slow lol. I'd say go for any monti you want/like, only the 'fancy' palawanensis types have been finicky for me. Caps are easy to frag back if you must glue stuff to rock. Encrusting montis will take some space (I usually keep them on plugs and propagate) but shouldn't be too bad as long as you placed thoughtfully. Mixing would actually work pretty well as the birdsnests will take up the vertical space (along with the digis) and the montis can eat up the rockwork

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually ordered a Battlebox from Battlecorals when I was ready to dive in. Told him I needed some easy to care for beginner sps and I couldn't be happier with what he sent. Received 8 pcs and have 7 left 14 months later. He's a sponsor on R2R and also has a website to check out if you're interested.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back