EB8 Aquabus ports not working properly

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago I was having a GFCI issue so I unplugged everything from the EB8 until I could work on it today.

I plugged the EB8 back in and no issues with tripping the GFCI. The EB8 is connected via aquabus to an FMM which in turn is connected to the brain of my Apex.

If I unplug the aquabus from the brain the FMM still has power from the EB8 (light stays green). I am not able to get the orange light to stop flashing on the EB8 nor can I control it with my Apex. I’m hoping this is a simple fix? I’ve exhausted all ideas I have had, including swapping out the aquabus cable hoping that would work and it didn’t. I have hope that since power is going through the aquabus to power the FMM perhaps it’s not completely dead. I tried all 6 aquabus ports on the EB8.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make sure there isn't some issue with the FMM, I would try removing the FMM and plug the EB8 directly into the Apex (brain).

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you have probably power cycled it, and tried all the aquabus port combinations? May have to call support.

OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you have probably power cycled it, and tried all the aquabus port combinations? May have to call support.
If power cycling means unplugging it and plugging it back in, yes, I’ve done that. If there’s a way to force a reset I haven’t done that. It was working great until it got a bit of moisture under an outlet.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef any advice to offer
If the EB8 is blinking orange even when directly connected to the Apex through AquaBus, then the EB8 is likely faulty. Carefully inspect each AquaBus port (even unused ports) for any corrosion, check the AquaBus cable ends for corrosion, try a different cable if necessary.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaBus power and communication are two very different things in Apex. You can easily have the power, but not able to have the EB8 talk to Apex. They use different circuits inside.

But first, look at the status of "modules" in apex while the EB8 is plugged in. If you see any errors/conflicts next to any of them, resolve it first. Post a screenshot here if you can.

If there are no issues or conflicts being reported in "modules", the EB8 is likely bad. I do after warranty repair on these things all the time.

Here's an example of repairing this issue on EB832:

Last edited:
OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaBus power and communication are two very different things in Apex. You can easily have the power, but not able to have the EB8 talk to Apex. They use different circuits inside.

But first, look at the status of "modules" in apex while the EB8 is plugged in. If you see any errors/conflicts next to any of them, resolve it first. Post a screenshot here if you can.

If there are no issues or conflicts being reported in "modules", the EB8 is likely bad. I do after warranty repair on these things all the time.

Here's an example of repairing this issue on EB832:
This is what pops up when I try and diagnose the issue. It just says disconnected. This is a cable that I know works because I just swapped it out from a different section on my Apex.

Would it be worth trying contact cleaner on the ports? I’ve tried all 6 ports with no luck on any of them. I will look closer tomorrow for any noticeable corrosion on the aquabus ports.

Attachments

• 4F7B1440-A922-48E0-B97C-76D6080E3877.png
    4F7B1440-A922-48E0-B97C-76D6080E3877.png
    315.1 KB · Views: 60

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not the "modules" view though. That's just the view of a single module.

If none of the 6 ports work and the cable is a known good, then again, your options are limited to either a conflict in Apex or a bad EB8. A module would not connect if the "address" is in conflict with an existing module. For example, your EB8 is showing address 5. If there is another module using the same address 5, and the EB8 is set to use this address, it will never connect successfully. As a last resort test, consider deleting the EB8 from modules, then reconnect the EB8 in the hopes that it will negotiate a new address with the head unit.

Last edited:

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what pops up when I try and diagnose the issue. It just says disconnected. This is a cable that I know works because I just swapped it out from a different section on my Apex.

Would it be worth trying contact cleaner on the ports? I’ve tried all 6 ports with no luck on any of them. I will look closer tomorrow for any noticeable corrosion on the aquabus ports.
I'm suspecting the moisture you mentioned (salt water) has shorted out something internally. Its possible that once it is completely dry, it may begin working again.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm suspecting the moisture you mentioned (salt water) has shorted out something internally. Its possible that once it is completely dry, it may begin working again.
Never a good idea. To see what corrosion does if left to "completely dry", just look at another couple of my repairs:

OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not the "modules" view though. That's just the view of a single module.

If none of the 6 ports work and the cable is a known good, then again, your options are limited to either a conflict in Apex or a bad EB8. A module would not connect if the "address" is in conflict with an existing module. For example, your EB8 is showing address 5. If there is another module using the same address 5, and the EB8 is set to use this address, it will never connect successfully. As a last resort test, consider deleting the EB8 from modules, then reconnect the EB8 in the hopes that it will negotiate a new address with the head unit.
Here is the modules page. The feeder is disconnected at the moment, I have to modify the wall for it to fit.

Attachments

• 7335F729-B3DE-42AA-91D0-195280E0AC89.png
    7335F729-B3DE-42AA-91D0-195280E0AC89.png
    297.9 KB · Views: 47

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the modules page. The feeder is disconnected at the moment, I have to modify the wall for it to fit.
I see. Consider deleting #5 with the EB8 disconnected, then reconnect the EB8 and see if it helps. If it doesn't, the EB8 is the problem and will need a repair. I don't think cleaning the ports will help in this instance. If there was any damage, it's likely already done to the inside of the unit.

OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Consider deleting #5 with the EB8 disconnected, then reconnect the EB8 and see if it helps. If it doesn't, the EB8 is the problem and will need a repair. I don't think cleaning the ports will help in this instance. If there was any damage, it's likely already done to the inside of the unit.
Any idea how much a repair would cost?

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic EB8/EB832 repair is around $50-60 plus round trip shipping. EB8 fits USPS priority medium flat rate box, which costs under $14 to ship anywhere in the US.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing. No problem. I believe it's important to have options.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back