Eb8 energy bar outlet exceed limit?

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens if one of the outlet’s amp limit is exceeded? Does the circuit breaker on the bar pop or is that only if the bar total usage exceeds the 15amp limit? Does the individual outlet go out if say outlet 1 exceeds 5amps?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you read the Neptune System’s guide that answers those questions- get first hand answers :). Outlet 4 and 10 can have up to 10a. Not to exceed 15 total.

Normal outlets are 15a anyway.

Going over the rating of pretty much any electronic device risks electrical failure, what form that will take (popping a breaker or fuse, permanent damage to device, melting wires or a fire), is unknown.

OP
OP
PhilT

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By outlet, I pm referring to the ones on the bar, not the wall. I read the eb8 users manual and that guide. They just describe the limits on each type of outlet. It doesn’t say what happens when those limits are exceeded. I assume that circuit breaker on the bar will pop if the max 15 A is exceeded.

I wanted to know also what happens if you plug something in a 5A outlet on the bar that draws more than 5. does the breaker on the bar handle that too? I don’t plan on doing it but if a mistake was made, i’d like to know what the result is. Hopefully the outlet has some safety net vs just startmelting

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, referring to the manual, do not exceed the recommended amperage draw per outlet on the bar, not just the bar's total capacity.
Doing so will cause the bar to prematurely fail.
If you keep your amperage draw below the recommended limits you can expect the bar to last many years.

Remember to add up your total usage;
Being rated @ 6 x 5A and 2 x 10A is 50A, but the whole unit is still only rated @ 15A

The EnergyBar 8 provides eight switched 120V outlets. They are numbered 1 through 8 as illustrated on the device. Outlets 1-3 and 5-7 are switched with silent solid-state devices and can power items up to 5 amps each. Outlets 4 and 8 are switched with relays and can power items up to 10 amps each.

The total current draw for all active outlets must be less than 15 amps.

OP
OP
PhilT

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here’s Neptune’s reply

No there is nothing to protect the customer to not plug the something over the rating for that outlet on an EB8, however our newer EB832 that only works with the newer Apex base units does have an LED light and warning on the dashboard if you are overloading a single outlet. Shown in the EB832 manual on our website

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back