EB8 Problems - You Might Like

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday, I was working on my tank because I had some issues. To make a long story short, I woke up this morning and the lights weren't on. &^%$ - checked my light EB8 outlet and it wasn't working. Figured that their might be an issue with that one outlet. Plugged light into a standard power outlet temporarily.

Went to work. Came home. Tank temps are higher than normal. Fans weren't working. Sump lights for Chaeto didn't turn on. Luckily, many of the other parts of the aquariums, like pumps were working because they were on an different EB8. I have two.

Check the small light on the "bad" EB8, it was green. Thought the breaker was bad. Nope. It was fine. Turned the main switch off for everything on the tank and restarted. One EB8 still didn't work.

Luckily, I have a spare EB8 so I copied all the programs and made sure they didn't disappear when I switched EB8s. Installed the new EB8 and tested the new EB8 at in temp spot to make sure it works properly before replacing the "bad" EB8. Everything works.

Went to unplugged and remove the "bad" EB8 so I can replace it with the new one. Found it was unplugged already. I must have unplugged it when I was working on the tank and didn't remember.

Anyway, plugged in the "bad" EB8 and everything is working as normal. Augghh. Spent hours try to figure out why it wasn't working. Should have checked the most obvious problems first.

Thought you might like it and learn from this. Green light on an EB8 does not mean it is plugged in to an outlet. It just means it is getting power from the APEX head unit.

OP
OP
vanpire

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fusion, the "bad" EB8 looked like this when it was unplugged so I thought it was bad. No way I am using 100 AMPs. All my circuits would blow.

1566272734252.png

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
APEX is both a blessing and a curse for sure. Glad it all turned out ok. I wonder if a power alarm on any of the outlets may have helped? I just finally added a battery backup and the 12v power block so I can monitor so now I got that watch for as well..;)

dmanshep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phew thank goodness you didn't lose an expensive power strip.. I was hoping you were gonna tell me how to fix my one dead outlet.. I also have a friend that has an EB8 with two dead outlets.. sigh wish there was a fix for out of warranty eb8's that decide to kill of a single outlet :) glad your's was a simple fix in the end..

OP
OP
vanpire

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phew thank goodness you didn't lose an expensive power strip.. I was hoping you were gonna tell me how to fix my one dead outlet.. I also have a friend that has an EB8 with two dead outlets.. sigh wish there was a fix for out of warranty eb8's that decide to kill of a single outlet :) glad your's was a simple fix in the end..

There seems to be a way:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seems to be a way:

I was going to say the same thing, I've replaced a triac on the DC8's as well as one of the relay (4 or 8). If you know how to solder, the whole process is pretty straight forward.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thanks for that link i'll scope it out.. I'm not scared of "fixing" things :)
I did mine years ago and have moved twice since, but I bought a sleeve of those triacs and I know I have at least 10 of them somewhere. If you plan to take on the challenge, and If I can find them I will give them to you (save you a few bucks anyway).

dmanshep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did mine years ago and have moved twice since, but I bought a sleeve of those triacs and I know I have at least 10 of them somewhere. If you plan to take on the challenge, and If I can find them I will give them to you (save you a few bucks anyway).
Awesome THANKS! However I might not need them LOL upon perusing that link above there was a small nugget of obvious in there.. I guess having a low draw item on the low amperage plugs could cause the relay to not fire? Anyway I decided to plug a lamp into the "dead" socket and interestingly it is working.. So i'm re-thinking my assumption of it being dead..

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back