EB832 Went bust... AGAIN! What else are people using?

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They usually are reliable, but stuff happens, lol. Most EB4's & EB8's in service have more trips around the sun than any eb832 thats in service.

I have one EB8 in service that hasnt reported amperage in prolly a year now, but its 10+ years old and still switches perfectly (had to replace a few TRIAC's about 4-5 years ago).

The second EB8 is prolly 8 years old (orange model) and one EB4 is about 5 years old now.

I'm quietly hoarding eb8's and eb4's as they seem to outlive the 832's by a large margin and they have become (EB8) or will become (EB4) unobtainium now.
I thought about hoarding those myself. However I sold all my apex gear off with my last tank and decided I don’t want to support a company building crap. I’d probably feel differently if I still had a big collection of apex gear

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about hoarding those myself. However I sold all my apex gear off with my last tank and decided I don’t want to support a company building crap. I’d probably feel differently if I still had a big collection of apex gear
I agree the new stuff is blah quality wise and lack of innovation from Neptune is real as of late.

I ONLY went with an A2 unit after one of my long time A1's (black label) head units finally died (previous neptune repair many years ago). I lose another head unit, A1 or A2 and the hydros ecosystem is next for me to try.

Never owned a GHL but I played with a few of them over the years and it isnt for me. Although I love the hardware.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going to toss it, I need some broken EB832 to harvest spare parts from!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only issue is a lot of those strips have a "default to off" when power is cut and comes back online with no settings to change to default to be ON when powered up. So, your gone at work have a power outage and it comes back on but your tank equipment stays off until you turn it back on. I still use them but not for my pumps.
The Kasa outlets that I use default to what they were when they lost power. I do have some Amazon branded ones that default to off after a power outage though, so I don’t use them for anything aquarium related.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine is 15 years old and with most of its life maxing out at 12a when the heater was on. Those metal halides are now LED so it's 6a max. It's the classic one obviously. I'm not sure it's the same as you are referencing. They must not build them like they used to.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back