eBay issues need some advice

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. So I posted a MRC MR2 Protein Skimmer on eBay and sold it for $150 shipped. While in transit, it just stopped moving for a week and a half and the buyer demanded a refund, which I did of course because the package was apparently lost. I purchased insurance for it but before I filed a claim I checked the tracking a week and a half later, and sure enough it was updated and the package was on route. I tried to explain to the buyer that it could be delayed due to COVID but they wanted a refund. I can understand they wanted a refund since the package hadn’t arrived but this is where it gets tricky. The package officially arrived and now the buyer has their money back AND my protein skimmer. Is the buyer able to keep the skimmer and the money because it wasn’t delivered on time? Anything I can do here? Just frustrated because I’ve heard bad things about eBay and didn’t think this would happen and plus the buyer is seriously being a bad enough person to not respond to my messages and apparently just wants to keep my money and skimmer. Sorry for the long post just a little annoyed at this situation.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is not ebays fault.
It is the shipping companys fault.

I doubt there is anything you can do.
It would cost more to do something with legal action than its worth.
Unless the person hase morals, values, and ethics like yourself well.
Nice people finish last.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ebay actually monitors all your correspondence. Open a dispute and someone will be assigned to work between you and the buyer. They can be persuasive.

Yea take his advice.
I dont know much on ebay as I dont do online business with them.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just sent an email to eBay disputing the case. Hopefully they’ll be able to help in some way haha but I’m doubting it. Thanks for the help and quick responses though guys!

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if ebay will do anything or not. They do have a history of reacently siding with buyers. However they can easily see that the buyer has there skimmer but they don't really know why a refund was given. I would definitely open a claim still. They can see a refund was given you should at least get the skimmer back.

Hind site's 20/20 now, but I would have told buyer I was opening a claim with the shipper since they could see that it was shipped. They'd have to wait until skimmer was found for a refund.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if ebay will do anything or not. They do have a history of reacently siding with buyers. However they can easily see that the buyer has there skimmer but they don't really know why a refund was given. I would definitely open a claim still. They can see a refund was given you should at least get the skimmer back.

Hind site's 20/20 now, but I would have told buyer I was opening a claim with the shipper since they could see that it was shipped. They'd have to wait until skimmer was found for a refund.
Yeah thanks for the help. I don’t know why they wanted a refund but the package didn’t move for a week and a half and the total shipping time was about 3ish weeks. I understand why they wanted a refund but they could’ve been a bit more patient.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
+1 on ebay dispute. Using ebay, I assume you paid with Paypal? if so, file paypal claim also and provide proof of delivery

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thanks for the help. I don’t know why they wanted a refund but the package didn’t move for a week and a half and the total shipping time was about 3ish weeks. I understand why they wanted a refund but they could’ve been a bit more patient.
Too many people want their stuff yesterday, And lack a little patience. They can see it was shipped and not your fault that it was delayed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If the tracking shows delivered, that is enough evidence usually.
If ebay doesnt help you out (unlikely)
Your next step is paypal.
I would file with Ebay and paypal and even file a chargeback through bank if they dont help you out

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
item was shipped USPS i bet? dont ship anything with them right now. priority flat rate boxes take a minimum 2 weeks... usually 3 currently. i pay more to have ups ship my items right now. my last usps flat rate box was shipped july 2nd (for a 3 day delivery), and arrived july 31st... :rolleyes: ebay will know this if usps was used and should take care of it.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fishbro

Contact the Buyer and threaten to call HIS local Police Dept to have a Detective look into the matter and a Detective visit his home for Theft possibly Fraud.

That might rattles his cage to "fess up"

But DO YOUR HOMEWORK by locating HIS Police Dept WEBSITE.

Tell the Buyer the names and the phone#s of the Police Officers you're about to call....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
item was shipped USPS i bet? dont ship anything with them right now. priority flat rate boxes take a minimum 2 weeks... usually 3 currently. i pay more to have ups ship my items right now. my last usps flat rate box was shipped july 2nd (for a 3 day delivery), and arrived july 31st... :rolleyes: ebay will know this if usps was used and should take care of it.
Yep it was shipped with them. Not too happy with them right now.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fishbro

Contact the Buyer and threaten to call HIS local Police Dept to have a Dectective look into the matter and a Dectective visit his home for Theft possibly Fraud.

That might rattles his cage to "fess up"

But DO YOUR HOMEWORK by locating HIS Police Dept WEBSITE and share names and phone#s off the Polices website

Yeah that may be a route I take if PayPal and eBay won’t help me. I’d prefer not to get his police involved with it but if I have to I may.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah so my course of action now is I filed a claim with eBay, if they don’t help PayPal, and if they don’t help and the buyer doesn’t respond at all to any messages I’ll get his local police to maybe help out.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the police act favorably in your favor after you tell then your story, they could tell him this justifies larceny across state lines (if it was mailed to a different state) which is a federal charge. That might put some fire in his pants.

giphy-1.gif

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be a downer but I don't think the police will do anything as the value is to low at $150.00.
Now if you can prove this person has done this many times and the total value is at or above $500.00 then you may get some attention.

Here in my area the limit is $500.00 before charges can be filed.
Sucks but true. Your area may be different and the buyers as well.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting, sorry your a decent person and this happened. I've recently had to purchase items on line and honestly no one is giving refunds for "lost" items at the moment. I've even pairs two day shipping in an emergency and been told too bad you have to wait. Id contact eBay and PayPal with the case. Did eBay insist on the refund? In my mind that would likely make the case.

Back