OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is still at prototype stage, but I have a start on this new speculative astrobiology project.

I'm building an airtight enclosure where I can control gas composition to model alternative chemistries and metabolisms. My current favorite idea is a reducing atmosphere with H2 and other gases. Use of hydrogen gas has some serious potential hazards, but I have several layers of safety redundancy in mind. For starters, I'll plan to add the H2 as probably only 1% or 2% of the gas mixture.

The setup will join a large (2.75" X 36") tube and smaller (2" X 12") tube with airline hose and recirculate/mix gas with a small air pump. The small tube will hold the air pump along with MQ gas sensors, while the larger one will contain most of the gas atmosphere along with a volume of water and a water pump. I will probably put a few inches of plastic bioballs in the bottom of the 2.75" cylinder for microbial colonization.

Everything will hang up on the wall as a display with my wall-mount hardware.

My O-ring seals leak, a lot. So I'm going to have to problem solve some more and make new top & bottom caps. O-ring seal design actually is more complex than it would seem. I cut those round shapes with holes for the push-connect fittings on the CNC router, then flipped them up vertically to cut the O-ring grooves on the table router. But the table router bit left conspicuous tool marks where water easily gets around the O-rings. One idea I have for improving the seal is to just stick the cap in a vice, then pull a length of abrasive cord through the groove to flatten out the tool marks. I'll have to shop around some to find a cord with a wide diameter and fine grit.

I'll keep working on this and try to have an update in a week or two.

7-VI-23-Methanogens-IV.jpg

7-VI-23-Methanogens-V.jpg

7-VI-23-Methanogens-VII.jpg

7-VI-23-Methanogens-III.jpg

7-VI-23-Methanogens-II.jpg

7-VI-23-Methanogens-VI.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made some more headway with the O-ring caps. I had never operated it before, but got an orientation on the big metal lathe and it is much better for precise material removal.

7-VII-23-Methanogens-V.jpg

This cap was another practice/problem-solving exercise and it didn't come out quite right. I had put one of the silicone O-rings in place while figuring out the correct groove dimensions, so that's why that's on there.

7-VII-23-Methanogens-IV.jpg

That huge chuck is mildly terrifying. Keep your hands and everything else away!

This final version seems to seal up the enclosure very well. Another advantage of turning the shape on the lathe is that I was able to add the flange to keep the cap on top. Now I just need to cut one for the top along with the pair of caps for the smaller 2" tube. Also need to figure out how to cap and seal those center arbor holes.

7-VII-23-Methanogens-VI.jpg

I found this article with very good explanations for the concept I have in mind.

7-VII-23-Methanogens-II.jpg

H2 + CO2 is the most oft-cited pathway for methane generation, but it turns out they can utilize several other substrate combinations, including acetate (C2H3O2-) as both the electron donor and receiver.

7-VII-23-Methanogens-I.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been back here in a while. The stromatolites setup is doing well. I think I've learned a few things. I should do a proper update at some point, but here's a quick pic...

1-VIII-23-stromatolites-I.jpg

I've made some more headway with the new tube enclosure setup I really struggled with the O-ring caps, but I finally got some good seals and did a water test tonight...

1-VIII-23-methanogenesis-III.jpg

Push-connect fittings for airtight passage of wires and airline...

1-VIII-23-methanogenesis-II.jpg

I should start another discussion for this project. I still have a ways to go just to get the tubes hung up on the wall. I'd be interested to hear feedback and ideas for my approach.

Here's a quick Instagram reel with the water test tonight...

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bookmarking this here quick....

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php#13

I practically flunked out of chemistry, but I really gotta figure out more about the role and chemistry of sulfate/sulfide. It's important in these soda lake and salt lake systems.

Another article...

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2011.00044/full

No free pdf for this one, but I might be able to track it down...

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0016703789901634

Interesting passage from abstract...

The Great Salt Lake water column is a stratified Na-Mg-Cl-SO4 brine with low alkalinity. Algal debris is entrained in the high density (1.132–1.190 g/cc) bottom brines, and in this region maximum organic matter decomposition occurs by anaerobic processes, with sulfate ion as the terminal electron acceptor. Organic matter, below 5 cm of the sediment-water interface, degrades at a very slow rate in spite of very high pore-fluid sulfate levels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the other astrobiology project...

Here's preliminary assembly for the 2" tube enclosure. It's not airtight yet. I still need to plug the arbor holes and seal around the wires with epoxy...

9-VIII-23-Methanogenesis-I.jpg

With the air pump there are nine wires running out through two of the push-connect fittings. That leaves two ports for pumping the atmosphere between the two enclosures.

Closer view with the MQ gas sensor. I have one for H2 gas and one for methane...

9-VIII-23-Methanogenesis-II.jpg

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the tube enclosures and aluminum track for electronics + electrical hung up together on the wall. I'm sure I'll reconfigure this some more later on, but this arrangement will be adequate for a test...

10-VIII-23-Methanogenesis-I.jpg

I also designed a bracket to hold the argon cartridge. I got a little confused looking at gas cylinders and it took me a while to figure this out, but these are simply called 16-gram cartridges and they are standard with the same thread for N20, argon and CO2. A small and cheap regulator with bubble counter should be adequate for filling the enclosures. Argon is heavier than air, so with a slow bubble rate and a vent near the top, it should push all the air out just as it does in a wine bottle...

10-VIII-23-Methanogenesis-III.jpg

10-VIII-23-Methanogenesis-II.jpg

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before any major changes, I'm going to wait and confirm that this setup more less works as intended. But among other updates I plan to reposition the 2.75" tube on a longer (48") piece of aluminum track, then secure a neopixel LED strip inside for lighting effects like my larger decorative phytoplankton setup. Slow microbial metabolism is, you know, not much to look at, but this will make the setup more visually dynamic. The electronics on the right-hand side will also have various blinking LEDs and I'll probably light up the smaller 2" tube as well...

resize-AB74EDFB-E251-4892-927E-AFE54C7DEB58.jpg

resize-BDEDCFFB-FB41-47F4-89F1-328D92BCD60C.jpg

Last edited:

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_
Before any major changes, I'm going to wait and confirm that this setup more less works as intended. But among other updates I plan to reposition the 2.75" tube on a longer (48") piece of aluminum track, then secure a neopixel LED strip inside for lighting effects like my larger decorative phytoplankton setup. Slow microbial metabolism is, you know, not much to look at, but this will make the setup more visually dynamic. The electronics on the right-hand side will also have various blinking LEDs and I'll probably light up the smaller 2" tube as well...

resize-AB74EDFB-E251-4892-927E-AFE54C7DEB58.jpg

resize-BDEDCFFB-FB41-47F4-89F1-328D92BCD60C.jpg
Was skimming posts and saw “exolife” and “astrobiology” and it peeked my interest. I haven’t read most of this thread yet, but I’m guessing you’re playing with extremophiles or something similar.

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_

Was skimming posts and saw “exolife” and “astrobiology” and it peeked my interest. I haven’t read most of this thread yet, but I’m guessing you’re playing with extremophiles or something similar.
Yep. This latest one with the tubes is for methanogens. I intend to collect a sediment sample from a wetland near here, then add to the setup while maintaining an anoxic atmosphere and with addition of small volumes of H2 and CO2. It will be a miracle if it works, but should be interesting either way.

Last edited:

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. This latest one with the tubes is for methanogens. I intend to collect a sediment sample from a wetland near here, then add to the setup while maintaining an anoxic atmosphere and with addition of small volumes of H2 and CO2. It will be a miracle if it works, but should be interesting either way.
Well, you have another interested person here. Good luck!

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New update for one of the Winogradsky Columns.

You can really get lost in it...

Битва на небесах - Battle in Heaven

Day 1336

Winogradsky Column: watertight enclosure, antique-style frame, LED lighting, live microbial cultures.

12cm X 51cm X 64cm

16-VIII-23-Winogradsky-VI.jpg

16-VIII-23-Winogradsky-IV.jpg

16-VIII-23-IMG_2830-edit-II.jpg

16-VIII-23-Winogradsky-III.jpg

16-VIII-23-Winogradsky-V.jpg

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New update for one of the Winogradsky Columns.

You can really get lost in it...

Битва на небесах - Battle in Heaven

Day 1336

Winogradsky Column: watertight enclosure, antique-style frame, LED lighting, live microbial cultures.

12cm X 51cm X 64cm

16-VIII-23-Winogradsky-VI.jpg

16-VIII-23-Winogradsky-IV.jpg

16-VIII-23-IMG_2830-edit-II.jpg

16-VIII-23-Winogradsky-III.jpg

16-VIII-23-Winogradsky-V.jpg
Love the frame!

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started on another new project involving microbially-mediated precipitation of CaCO3 and rock formation, but this one is going to be freshwater.

This is going to be another view-from-above aquascape in a shallow tank and I have my eye on these two enclosures...

UNS 60S - 10 Gallon Ultra Clear Rimless Aquarium

UNS 45S - 5 Gallon Ultra Clear Rimless Aquarium

I'm building a 10-series 80/20 aluminum stand for this like the shelf setup I have with my wave machine tank...

6-II-23-Plastic-Beach-I.jpg

The 60S tank is 23.62" X 14.17" X 7.09". I should be able brace up the 10-series (1" X 1") aluminum to make it strong enough for 10 gallons of water with other stuff, but I think it will look spindly in those dimensions, so I'm leaning more toward the 45S (17.71" X 11.02" X 7.09"). I should also make CAD models to compare.

In contrast with 2-part calcium & alkalinity dosing for the stromatolite tank, this new project will use a calcium reactor with CO2. I like the idea of visible hardware so the stand will be open underneath with a view of the reactor and cylinder. I wondered about a canister filter also, but I'm disinclined to run a new canister with water near calcium saturation, so I'll probably just try to hide an economy internal filter instead.

I put them together and the reactor + CO2 cylinder with regulator fit OK in the smaller 17" X 11" footprint I would have under the smaller tank. The only other things I would need to accommodate under there would be a dosing pump and maybe a pH monitor if I decide to use a probe.

Bookmarking this other discussion on running a calcium reactor without a sump...

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/calcium-reactor-a-few-feet-below-tank.498158/

I hope this will work with the AquaMaxx. I should be able to figure something out.

B7BD6020-100E-4C04-A795-0181443B3227.JPG

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back