Echoes - Stromatolite Reef - Hypersaline

Captain Redbeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhizo I cannot comment on their aesthetics in person, but I will say this thread for me is probably one of the most aesthetically pleasing and interesting ones I’ve seen so far. I quite enjoy it; the thought it provokes as well.

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhizo I cannot comment on their aesthetics in person, but I will say this thread for me is probably one of the most aesthetically pleasing and interesting ones I’ve seen so far. I quite enjoy it; the thought it provokes as well.

Thank you so much!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for following along you guys @MaddyP @Sean Clark and @WheatToast . Although these experiments has been fascinating for me I realize the interest is mostly at the conceptual level and these things are not a whole lot to look at.
I think they are great and very thought provoking. Thanks.

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have it handy again I really like the gritty sci-fi vibe in this filtered pic. I want to develop this idea some more with photos and hardware to go with this setup...

BEC4F557-27C6-47C1-B0C9-7D5F10B61E4F.JPG

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally built a case for the clay panel vertical garden concept...

F3B967FB-1FEC-4EF9-A31E-778DBC32F775.JPG

5A01414E-4CE6-46AF-B542-D5589B3BC398.JPG

I'm going to add a couple more hardware elements, but this is hung up on the wall and ready to plant/inoculate. I'll use a couple different Cyanobacteria, mosses and some couple tiny vascular plants.

The Tolypothrix grows real nice on clay and looks like a very fine moss...

7408DDEB-68E9-43BB-8498-0D8B09497594.JPG

This is a NOID moss I found as a greenhouse weed...

75BCC9ED-BF8A-4BCE-B524-AC9A052E4E68.JPG

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
47017D86-E773-495E-93F8-3730BDE880BB.JPG

The Mars/Archaean Earth setup is doing great! Several of the Cyanobacteria have established as areas of thin biocrust.

2AC13AEC-5764-4AE7-AAFE-F3EA033EA108.JPG

Based on location in the setup, I believe this to be Oscillatoria...

13A810FB-CFCA-457A-97C3-759440B9AD28.JPG

Unless it's contamination, this is probably Anabaena...

F379B6B5-44DE-43EB-96D1-22702229AEED.JPG

This is definitely Tolypothrix...

ED29D8B7-AE93-4FD1-B098-5394B4CA50EB.JPG

6FF4AFF6-9221-4CDD-875E-511A2016C82E.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydration test for totally dried out vertical garden panel in case. It soaked up almost one whole liter of distilled water.

Just going to hand water this one because it's right in the living room where I will walk by every day. I'm working on a second, larger panel that will get auto-irrigation with a peristaltic pump + controller.

(Sorry, video removed)

Last edited:
OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the panel planted. This is two different NOID greenhouse weed mosses along with some tiny Angiosperms (Ficus, Pyrrosia, Lemmaphyllum, Peperomia).

C5D442EB-8BF6-493A-B2C3-6173E08B8E66.JPG

It's going to take a while to grow in. I hope it will develop as a nice and tight plant layer over the surface, but still leaving some of the clay exposed.

I "planted" the Tolypothrix liquid culture in the empty-looking upper area of the panel. I'm just hand watering this panel in a casual way and it's possible for that upper part to dry out between waterings if I miss a few days, but as a biocrust-forming Cyanobacteria, the Tolypothrix can tolerate wet-dry cycles and continue to grow.

4BB1D2A8-EB76-4BAE-95C3-2A7DFBC9E899.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I haven't been back here in a while. The stromatolites tank has been interesting, that's for sure. It's gone through stages of ecological succession with a few different microbes growing as microbial mat on the limestone top surfaces. I should have gotten more photo updates, but I've just been kind of busy. I'll try to post a real update this weekend if I can find some time.

I've also gotten some interesting observations from the clay panel setup. The mosses did not establish very well, but the vascular plants have done OK. The cyanobacteria biocrust is the most compelling feature. All of the green growth at the top of the panel is the Tolypothrix that has spread from the liquid culture. I also built a finished frame in this bright yellow-orange to bolt onto the front.

7145B71C-8BC5-45BF-AEF9-ABEF7A7BB0A2.JPG

The Tolypothrix grows like a very fine moss.

59813FF1-E31E-4AFD-8142-A7C493015800.JPG

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this thread. Easily one of the most interesting on this site.

Thanks so much! I'll try to get some more updates here.

In the meantime here's a musical interlude and the inspiration for this project...

Last edited:

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been busy, so I also haven't been updating or following much, but I just LOVE this thread. It makes me wish I had majored in ecology/zoology. Thanks for what you contribute to the hobby!

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been busy, so I also haven't been updating or following much, but I just LOVE this thread. It makes me wish I had majored in ecology/zoology. Thanks for what you contribute to the hobby!

Thanks so much!

...updated pics on the way as soon as I get a chance....

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK here's an update at day 346.

A few months ago, the setup experienced a very robust growth of dark green Cyanobacteria. Unfortunately, I did not get any photographs during this period. While the microbial mat was impressively thick (~4mm), it was difficult to keep the tank looking very good because in addition to growing lots of Cyanobacteria on the stone top surfaces, it also grew all over the sand and glass very fast.

I suspect there is a close relationship between the relative concentrations of nitrate and phosphate and the degree to which the different photosynthesizes proliferate. The stones are currently growing a microbial mat dominated by dark amber-colored benthic Diatoms with relatively little green Cyanobacteria coverage. The Diatoms are more well- mannered and grow only on the stones.

1585DDDA-0B8C-4B69-911B-A5C0DE35D735.JPG

I've been adding the Brightwell Aquatics Reef Code A + B for calcium and alkilinity in the hope that it will boost CaCO3 accretion under the microbial mat. I haven't been monitoring very carefully though aside from occasional Ca tests with the API kit. I'm not a chemist and I don't know what effect this very salty water (85ppt) might have on titrant tests formulated for regular seawater(?). At some point I'm going to figure out a more rigorous approach and more carefully measure dissolved nutrients and other parameters.

CDA8ED14-2034-48CA-B8C7-B9CD4AE81C84.JPG

Presumably there are heterotrophs, sulfate reducers and more in stratified zones between the Cyanobacteria and Diatoms extracellular polymeric substances (EPS) and the stone top surfaces. The interactions between these different organisms and the diurnal light-darkness cycle is what leads to formation of calcium carbonate and entrapment of sediment particles in stromatolite layers. I have sampled the stones here and I there is indeed a hardened layer on the top surfaces. It is not adhered very well, however, and I can easily scrape it off with my fingernail to expose the very white limestone beneath. I hope that with some more experimentation and maintenance of favorable conditions I will eventually observe more robust layer accretion and stromatolite growth.

0A4A571E-BDF1-4A91-81DC-8FA696D4EE49.JPG

Both the Diatoms and the Cyanobacteria produce considerable free-floating exudate. For a more appealing aquarium display, I need to beef up the filtration to reduce the surface film, floating foam and water discoloration. This little Aqueon internal filter works OK, although it's pretty puny and doesn't have enough flow for this tank. Sometimes I run a UV filter inside and sometimes I just use the filter pad. I might get another one of these filters, but in a bigger size.

1790CD4D-6FBA-4487-80EE-717608B9C2F9.JPG

I've also considered a protein skimmer, although I wonder if operating one would export too many nutrients and starve the photosynthesizes. I could build one of this kind myself but shorter to suit this shallow tank...

Bulk Reef Supply: Nano Protein Skimmer - Reef Glass

Last edited:

Marine Iguana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just discovered this build thread and the paleo-nerd in me is geeking out. @rhizotron you may have designed and executed some of the most intriguing and personally inspiring displays I’ve ever seen- well done! Do you have any other projects in the works?

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just discovered this build thread and the paleo-nerd in me is geeking out. @rhizotron you may have designed and executed some of the most intriguing and personally inspiring displays I’ve ever seen- well done! Do you have any other projects in the works?

Thanks so much! I have a few other things on the way. I'll try to share updates.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back