OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've made a new wall sconce style setup for decorative phytoplankton and a few other options. It usually takes more troubleshooting, but the parts for this design all came together pretty easy. Here it is with a Dunaliella salina culture in hypersaline brine medium.

6-XII-23-Sconce-II-819x1024.jpg

And here it is with the natural amber glow of an Oak leaf tea.

6-XII-23-Sconce-I-819x1024.jpg

However I currently have it holding a new Winogradsky column, shown here at day 15.

6-XII-23-Sconce-III-1-819x1024.jpg

I collected the material for this Winogradsky while Grouse hunting up north on county land. The hunting wasn't especially great, but I saw such amazing things there in the glacial moraine landscape including this hidden glacial kettle beaver pond.

13-XI-23-Chippewa-Moraine-I-1024x760.jpg

resize-13-XI-23-Chippewa-Moraine-IX.jpg

The small stream draining the pond was filled with bright orange ochre, a sign of the iron-oxidizing Bacteria living there in the upper reaches.

13-XI-23-Chippewa-Moraine-II-768x1024.jpg

With a source of iron inside, these same Bacteria can create vibrant ochre inside of the Winogradsky column as well. Time will tell if I get to observe any here.

6-XII-23-Sconce-Winogradsky-Chippewa-Moraine-I-819x1024.jpg

Just a short distance away from the Beaver pond I found another small kettle with another sign of the iron reduction-oxidation process, with a stunning swamp rainbow iridescence covering its still water.

13-XI-23-Chippewa-Moraine-III-768x1024.jpg

I've seen swamp rainbow before, but never as colorful as this.

13-XI-23-Chippewa-Moraine-V-1024x768.jpg

What an amazing world we live in!

resize-13-XI-23-Chippewa-Moraine-VII.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing's coming along pretty nice. The organic material sank a couple more inches with continued decomposition, so I refreshed with some Corn husks and more Oak leaves. I also added a layer of tree roots, and charcoal pieces to the underground area.

I've observed good reproduction Porcellionides pruinosus isopods with numerous new juveniles walking around. There are additionally hundreds of Collembola sp. Springtails, but when the lights are on they mostly hide.

Coulee Region, 1983

Day 65

Edaphotron: watertight enclosure, electronic gas sensor, microcontroller, bonsai gravel, plant parts, soil invertebrates and soil microflora.

13-XII-23-edaphotron-I.jpg

13-XII-23-edaphotron-IV.jpg

13-XII-23-edaphotron-II.jpg

13-XII-23-edaphotron-III.jpg

13-XII-23-edaphotron-V.jpg
10-XI-23-edaphotron-II.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't updated this in forever but here are a few new pics for the stromatolites tank. It went through a long period where there was a lot of the Cyanobacterium dark green EPS all over the tops of the features. It seems as though this organism actually hinders calcium carbonate precipitation when it's on very thick. I was able to reduce its coverage with water changes and I've also been dosing SpongExcel, which encourages the brown Diatom that seems to cement the sand grains together more coherently.

I got the Brine Shrimp colony into improved accommodations with a 12" glass bowl from the craft store and improved lighting.

That Oase CrystalSkim is another new addition and I really like it.

Water is cloudy. I have tried clearing this up with Purigen, but now I think it's probably the green phytoplankton (most likely Nannochloropsis or Chlorella), so I'm next going to try a UV sterilizer and I'm just waiting on delivery for that.

4-I-24-Echoes-V.jpg

4-I-24-Echoes-II.jpg

4-I-24-Echoes-IV.jpg

4-I-24-Echoes-III.jpg

4-I-24-Echoes-VI.jpg

4-I-24-Echoes-VII.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a photo update for this thing. I got a UV sterilizer hooked up again, which cleared the water real nice. Microbes look happy. They are easy to please.

I need to ask Randy Holmes Farley if he might have ideas for calcium and alkalinity. I can see some CaCO3 accretion, but even after all this time it is a very thin and soft layer on top of the faux stromatolites. I've dumped a lot of 2-part in here and I just don't know where it's gone. Maybe the sand bed? My cheap titrant tests seem to be incoherent for this very salty water. So I don't have a good measure.

resize-5-II-24-GSL-Stromatolites-VII.jpg

resize-5-II-24-GSL-Stromatolites-VI.jpg

resize-5-II-24-GSL-Stromatolites-II.jpg

resize-5-II-24-GSL-Stromatolites-III.jpg

resize-5-II-24-GSL-Stromatolites-V.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back