Echotech MP40 Thickness Spacer

bkreitler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 310 gallon Planet Aquarium with 1/2" thick glass. I am using 4 MP40s on the tank and the tank has been set up for about 7 months. Everything was fine for the first 6 months, but over the past month, 2 of the MP40s have come off of the tank. The magnetic bond seems quite strong; so I am not sure why this has happened. Both occurred over night (about 2 weeks apart) on the same side of the tank. All has been fine though for the past week. The MP40s did come with "thickness spacers" that are for thick - for use with glass thicknesses over 1/4" and up to 1/2". Not sure if I need to use these spacers, if they will help or if they will cause the problem to occur again. I do have the dry parts somewhat secured to the outside of the tank with suction cups, really used to secure the wires and to keep them out of view as much as possible. I do worry that if the wet part came unsecured and fell to the bottom of the tank, could the dry part, now dangling from the glass actually hit the glass and crack it or could the vibration do harm to the glass?? Since both of the recent occurrences happened at night while I was sleeping, I didn't know about it until the following morning. Any thoughts or feedback? Anyone else using the spacers and are these something that I should be using? Appreciate the feedback!! Thank you.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised your Planet is only 1/2”, my Planet is 3/4” for a 210 and I use the thin spacers on all the MP40’sThere is stickers on the spacer, you can just try the 3/4 inch one and see if it holds. I have found no harm in using a thinner spacer, my mp10 is running one now on 1/4”

OP
OP
B

bkreitler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Yes, I emailed Planet last week just to make sure and they confirmed the 1/2” glass. I guess fingers crossed in the long run. So far no problems but after hearing about so many tanks cracking, I worry about it all of the time. I seriously stress over it at night sometimes but I am generally a worrier any way. Lol

OP
OP
B

bkreitler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else had similar issues? Anyone else using the spacers or even something different?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back