Eclipse L overflow leaking help

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I installed the Eclipse L overflow as per Eshopps instruction video and got the bulkheads as tight as I can but I have 2 small leaks. Both at the back of the tank between the external box and the glass. Eshopps install is as follows, internal box to inside glass, gaskets on outside of tank, external box, gaskets to inside of external box then the bulk head nut. Seems to me the first gaskets should go on the inside glass between the inside box and glass. Any help here please?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I installed the Eclipse L overflow as per Eshopps instruction video and got the bulkheads as tight as I can but I have 2 small leaks. Both at the back of the tank between the external box and the glass. Eshopps install is as follows, internal box to inside glass, gaskets on outside of tank, external box, gaskets to inside of external box then the bulk head nut. Seems to me the first gaskets should go on the inside glass between the inside box and glass. Any help here please?
Yeah, dont follow their instructions. Not sure what they were thinking. The way I run my Eclipse is inside box, gasket, glass, gasket, outside box. Never had a leak or even a drip :) Hope this helps :D

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had better results with one gasket on inside of glass and one outside of glass.

Did you use a tool to crank down bulkheads and large nut, including the pre-assembled bulkheads in the outer box? If not do so. Obviously, don't over crank but tighten firmly

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had better results with one gasket on inside of glass and one outside of glass.

Did you use a tool to crank down bulkheads and large nut, including the pre-assembled bulkheads in the outer box? If not do so. Obviously, don't over crank but tighten firmly
This what i was thinking would be more correct insted of how the instructions say to do it. I will try this after work and see it it stops leaking.

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there was a thread not too long ago with the same issue and the instructions are horrible. Follow @crabs_mcjones advice and you'll be good to go:)
Lol i was just reading that thread, found it doing a google search.
Thats everyone I will swap gaskets around and see what it does.

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which configuration did you do?
weir box with gasket attached to bulkhead (pic), glass, second gasket on inside of overflow box, then nut.

image.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the second gasket on the outside of.the box up against the glass. So inside box, gasket, glass, gasket outside box, nut

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nut doesn’t tighten properly with rubber gasket. Can use nylon washer or no washer at all with nut. See above for correct gasket positions.

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use a tool and make sure you tighten it down tightly?
Yup it was fine when I did my first two leak tests. I took everything apart to paint the back of my tank. Today I was adding my salt water and turning on pump and I noticed water running down underneath the overflow box.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah, dont follow their instructions. Not sure what they were thinking. The way I run my Eclipse is inside box, gasket, glass, gasket, outside box. Never had a leak or even a drip :) Hope this helps :D
This is the way I did it too.
No leaks.

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread, but is it gasket inside the inside overflow, and gasket on the outside glass. There is no gasket actually touching the inside glass, but on the inside of the box.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread, but is it gasket inside the inside overflow, and gasket on the outside glass. There is no gasket actually touching the inside glass, but on the inside of the box.
Its inside box, gasket between inside box and tank glass, gasket between outside glass and outside box and then outside box and nut

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back