Ecotech’s SECRET grease

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheHarold
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Nope, its all one piece. If you snapped it, gotta replace that all. Use a small pry tool next time
Ive only use my finger nails to pry it off, it was making a noise one day I inspected it put it back together hours later broken.
 
Join the club, after 2 or 3 cleanings I never get the cage off them again without breaking them
Just the opposite for me, they wont tighten and end up an the tank bottom
 
Just the opposite for me, they wont tighten and end up an the tank bottom
That used to happen to me until I looked at the mechanism closely and it (figuratively) clicked. It’s actually pretty easy once you’re not blindly twisting it back and forth.
 
That used to happen to me until I looked at the mechanism closely and it (figuratively) clicked. It’s actually pretty easy once you’re not blindly twisting it back and forth.
Not only that, but they screw together backwards. Turning to the right unscews the cage, while turning to the left tightens the cage. And it's only about a half a turn to tighten or loosen the outer cage.

I always struggled to get them apart, until I figured that little gem out.
 
Not only that, but they screw together backwards. Turning to the right unscews the cage, while turning to the left tightens the cage. And it's only about a half a turn to tighten or loosen the outer cage.

I always struggled to get them apart, until I figured that little gem out.

It’s actually less than 1/8th of a turn to lock the cage, if you look at the mechanism.

I don’t spin it blindly though, that is assuming you insert it correctly.
 
Hi All....

Old thread here, but this was my first experience cleaning my new MP40 with Mobius. As I took the wet side apart I saw what I believe was a silicone-type plumpers lube. I hadn't heard of this before I bought my MP40 6 or 8 weeks ago.

Anyway, I contacted ecotech and they weren't of much help, (secret lube) not for sale or any mention of the lube. That lube was placed there for a break-in period the guy from ecotech said. He did inform me that I could buy a PH-neutral waterproof- silicone lube from Amazon if I felt the necessity.

That's when I found this thread.
I cleaned the wet side and put a little silicone lube where ecotech had. Put the wet-side back on and it worked like a champ.
Just wondering why they don't mention the lube anywhere? Or, at least I didn't come across it in my search. I might just be dubious as to the reason they don't mention it upfront...

Just my 2 cents, I'll check back in 6 to 8 weeks when I clean the wet-side again and see if anything looks different.

Take care all...........
 
Ecotech is happy to sell you something- not help you
 
Here’s what I use on mine. Someone recommended it at some point but I can’t find the thread. I clean my MP40s every 4 months and add some of this. I run mine at 90% reefcrest 24/7 and I feel this keeps them running smoother and quieter.

F5D4B22B-142D-425E-925D-0390B330772B.jpeg
 
I found an old thread somewhere, thought it was R2R, and it was already mentioned at the beginning of this thread years ago that Ecotech confirmed it was vegetable glycerin. A bunch on Amazon.
 
I just find it odd that ecotech doesn't mention the lubricant anywhere. Even if was only to say it's a break-in lube.

Thanks for the product recommendation's by the way. I too feel that the lubricant helps keep the wet-side running smoothly. I hear about so many ecotech MP's wet-side's going bad, I gotta think there's more to this lube than a break-in period.
 
Here’s what I use on mine. Someone recommended it at some point but I can’t find the thread. I clean my MP40s every 4 months and add some of this. I run mine at 90% reefcrest 24/7 and I feel this keeps them running smoother and quieter.

F5D4B22B-142D-425E-925D-0390B330772B.jpeg

I have also been using this for the past 2 years. I reapplied every time I clean the pump. Definitely use a LITTLE as it does goes a long way.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new