Ecotech’s SECRET grease

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, its all one piece. If you snapped it, gotta replace that all. Use a small pry tool next time
Ive only use my finger nails to pry it off, it was making a noise one day I inspected it put it back together hours later broken.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Join the club, after 2 or 3 cleanings I never get the cage off them again without breaking them
Just the opposite for me, they wont tighten and end up an the tank bottom

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the opposite for me, they wont tighten and end up an the tank bottom
That used to happen to me until I looked at the mechanism closely and it (figuratively) clicked. It’s actually pretty easy once you’re not blindly twisting it back and forth.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That used to happen to me until I looked at the mechanism closely and it (figuratively) clicked. It’s actually pretty easy once you’re not blindly twisting it back and forth.
Not only that, but they screw together backwards. Turning to the right unscews the cage, while turning to the left tightens the cage. And it's only about a half a turn to tighten or loosen the outer cage.

I always struggled to get them apart, until I figured that little gem out.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only that, but they screw together backwards. Turning to the right unscews the cage, while turning to the left tightens the cage. And it's only about a half a turn to tighten or loosen the outer cage.

I always struggled to get them apart, until I figured that little gem out.

It’s actually less than 1/8th of a turn to lock the cage, if you look at the mechanism.

I don’t spin it blindly though, that is assuming you insert it correctly.

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a wet side mp10 for sale lol.

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All....

Old thread here, but this was my first experience cleaning my new MP40 with Mobius. As I took the wet side apart I saw what I believe was a silicone-type plumpers lube. I hadn't heard of this before I bought my MP40 6 or 8 weeks ago.

Anyway, I contacted ecotech and they weren't of much help, (secret lube) not for sale or any mention of the lube. That lube was placed there for a break-in period the guy from ecotech said. He did inform me that I could buy a PH-neutral waterproof- silicone lube from Amazon if I felt the necessity.

That's when I found this thread.
I cleaned the wet side and put a little silicone lube where ecotech had. Put the wet-side back on and it worked like a champ.
Just wondering why they don't mention the lube anywhere? Or, at least I didn't come across it in my search. I might just be dubious as to the reason they don't mention it upfront...

Just my 2 cents, I'll check back in 6 to 8 weeks when I clean the wet-side again and see if anything looks different.

Take care all...........

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ecotech is happy to sell you something- not help you

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I use on mine. Someone recommended it at some point but I can’t find the thread. I clean my MP40s every 4 months and add some of this. I run mine at 90% reefcrest 24/7 and I feel this keeps them running smoother and quieter.

F5D4B22B-142D-425E-925D-0390B330772B.jpeg

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found an old thread somewhere, thought it was R2R, and it was already mentioned at the beginning of this thread years ago that Ecotech confirmed it was vegetable glycerin. A bunch on Amazon.

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just find it odd that ecotech doesn't mention the lubricant anywhere. Even if was only to say it's a break-in lube.

Thanks for the product recommendation's by the way. I too feel that the lubricant helps keep the wet-side running smoothly. I hear about so many ecotech MP's wet-side's going bad, I gotta think there's more to this lube than a break-in period.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I use on mine. Someone recommended it at some point but I can’t find the thread. I clean my MP40s every 4 months and add some of this. I run mine at 90% reefcrest 24/7 and I feel this keeps them running smoother and quieter.

F5D4B22B-142D-425E-925D-0390B330772B.jpeg

I have also been using this for the past 2 years. I reapplied every time I clean the pump. Definitely use a LITTLE as it does goes a long way.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back