Ecotech Marine Versa Dosing Pump will start at $150

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay..got it. Didn't know about this before. My versa does run very slow and my recirc pump is a bit noisy due to the co2 bubbles. Do you believe that a feed pump reduces this noise? I dont get co2 trapped at the top. There is a line at the top that feeds back into the recirc pump. It is a reef octo. I think most are like this.

If your versa is leaking at the quick connects, they have a tubing option that doesn't have any quick connects. It is just straight hosebarb.
If the noise from your recirc is from chopping bubbles then pressurizing the chamber will help. Might be worth experimenting with.

As for the tubing option for the versa, the hosebarb option never made it to production. You can only get them with the push to connect fittings.

KiltedSaint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if the versa is "leaking", which pump were you using in your effluent?

Was it working without leaking, if so for how long?

MJ-900 (T'd) into MRC CR-1 Ca reactor, feed is on the recirc arm which uses a Mag 5. Effluent is 1/4, through a needle valve to reduce pressure into the Versa. If I use the versa to push instead of pull, I think I'll need to cap off the current inlet and tap another 1/4" inlet somewhere off the recirc plumbing.

Ran this way fine for about 2 months. Again, we're talking minimal pressure on the versa but yes - it may be the cause of premature failure.

Ameer214

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the noise from your recirc is from chopping bubbles then pressurizing the chamber will help. Might be worth experimenting with.

As for the tubing option for the versa, the hosebarb option never made it to production. You can only get them with the push to connect fittings.
Thanks. Weird...I have a hosebarb version. They sent it to me by mistake when I needed a replacement. Didn't know you can't actually buy them. Btw, here is a video on how to fix the leaking quick connects.

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MJ-900 (T'd) into MRC CR-1 Ca reactor, feed is on the recirc arm which uses a Mag 5. Effluent is 1/4, through a needle valve to reduce pressure into the Versa. If I use the versa to push instead of pull, I think I'll need to cap off the current inlet and tap another 1/4" inlet somewhere off the recirc plumbing.

Ran this way fine for about 2 months. Again, we're talking minimal pressure on the versa but yes - it may be the cause of premature failure.

So this was your first try, you never did this before using another effluent pump?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exciting!!! @Sisterlimonpot the quality looks top notch! Love the form factor what are your impressions? I’ve added this to my list of things to buy but I’m always wary of first gen products. Btw great review!

KiltedSaint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this was your first try, you never did this before using another effluent pump?

Yeah, previously I was just using the needle valve to control the effluent. Running for maybe 10 years, but the effluent line always needed attention and isn't as accurate as I'd wanted.

I ordered 2 replacements and Ecotech is replacing the tube under warranty (plenty of spares now). They said the setup shouldn't be an issue and they just think the tube had a defect. Even from the beginning, it didn't seem as steady as I thought it should be but calibrated ok.

KiltedSaint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, previously I was just using the needle valve to control the effluent. Running for maybe 10 years, but the effluent line always needed attention and isn't as accurate as I'd wanted.

I ordered 2 replacements and Ecotech is replacing the tube under warranty (plenty of spares now). They said the setup shouldn't be an issue and they just think the tube had a defect. Even from the beginning, it didn't seem as steady as I thought it should be but calibrated ok.

Update - the new tube worked, unit calibrated fine as is back in service. The replacement tube feels much sturdier/thicker than the original.

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys i am in the market for a Dosing pump as my Kore 5th is giving troubles. How are you guys liking the Versa so far regarding noise and dosing precision?

I will be strictly using it to dose Alk, Calcium, Kalk and ATO.

Thanks in advance...

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to buy the versa dose vxf with no luck. Emailed ecotech they said contact a dealer. All the dealers say out of stock.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered one three weeks ago. I was told that it’s going to be a while before they are back in stock. I was told Eco Tec is working on light production and will soon switch over to producing the pumps soon. I’m waiting patiently as I ordered one for a up coming project so I’m not in a rush. I just want to try out one of there products for myself.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered one three weeks ago. I was told that it’s going to be a while before they are back in stock. I was told Eco Tec is working on light production and will soon switch over to producing the pumps soon. I’m waiting patiently as I ordered one for a up coming project so I’m not in a rush. I just want to try out one of there products for myself.
The same factory is making both?

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes from what I’ve seen they like to closely control all aspects of there products. Which I think accounts for the quality and the price we pay. So yes all of there products are made under one roof from what I understand.

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is my 3-4months review of the versa a feed pump:

verdict: i would not recommend it.

background history: i have the 4-pack and was an early adopter. Before Versa, i also had Kamoer and DOS for various purposes for more than a year. Never had i had issues with Kamoer or DOS. Kamoer was the quietest of them three based on my ownership and even a year into the usage I have not had to change my rollers.

Moving to my story w.r.t. Versa:

I had the leak issue for the earlier batch of Versa and sure they send the replacement parts no questions asked. What do you think happened then? 1 of the 4 replacement parts leaked.......ok, unacceptable at this point but it's not a deal breaker. This exchanges back/forth between myself and ETM happned in Feb 5th of 2020

Fast forward to last night, I happened to open Apex Fusion and saw my Trident reading dropped below 8dkH when i typically run it around 9-10. I knew something was happening. After all the troubleshooting and what-not, it's the freaking Versa. the two versas that are feeding my calcium reactor have their rollers bend of out shape while the other two versas that i use for amino acid dosing do not.

p.s. i have two Versas, each running at 21mL/min instead of one versa at 42mL/min because i couldn't handle the noise that it generates. The noise level is subjective but not ideal in my situation even with the cabinet doors closed.

Attaching trend line of my trident reading (btw, new batch of reagents) and rollers pic.
104196997_271359430877102_8788028598479017730_n.png

104242383_1739471259529375_5765183326579437800_n.jpg

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

background history: i have the 4-pack and was an early adopter. Before Versa, i also had Kamoer and DOS for various purposes for more than a year. Never had i had issues with Kamoer or DOS. Kamoer was the quietest of them three based on my ownership and even a year into the usage I have not had to change my rollers.

I had the leak issue for the earlier batch of Versa and sure they send the replacement parts no questions asked. What do you think happened then? 1 of the 4 replacement parts leaked.......ok, unacceptable at this point but it's not a deal breaker. This exchanges back/forth between myself and ETM happned in Feb 5th of 2020

Fast forward to last night, I happened to open Apex Fusion and saw my Trident reading dropped below 8dkH when i typically run it around 9-10. I knew something was happening. After all the troubleshooting and what-not, it's the freaking Versa. the two versas that are feeding my calcium reactor have their rollers bend of out shape while the other two versas that i use for amino acid dosing do not.

p.s. i have two Versas, each running at 21mL/min instead of one versa at 42mL/min because i couldn't handle the noise that it generates. The noise level is subjective but not ideal in my situation even with the cabinet doors closed.

Attaching trend line of my trident reading (btw, new batch of reagents) and rollers pic.

Is your unit still the first batch with the parts they replaced or did they replace the entire unit at the initial problems with leak. Just got mine mounted yesterday but not running it yet.

20200613_191005.jpg

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your unit still the first batch with the parts they replaced or did they replace the entire unit at the initial problems with leak. Just got mine mounted yesterday but not running it yet.

20200613_191005.jpg

when i called ETM, they offered to replace the entire 4-pack, which also had the "new" rollers. But like i stated before, one of the new Versa leaked, which they send the roller replacement overnight to their credit...

i would recommend you take it off and run all of them at maximum speed just to sanity check. my replacement was supposedly the latest and greatest with the improved rolller

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i called ETM, they offered to replace the entire 4-pack, which also had the "new" rollers. But like i stated before, one of the new Versa leaked, which they send the roller replacement overnight to their credit...

i would recommend you take it off and run all of them at maximum speed just to sanity check. my replacement was supposedly the latest and greatest with the improved rolller
Oh yeah I will definitely test run it with a couple gallon jugs back and forth each head... so in high in sight should you replace the whole 4 pack when they offered it

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I use 3 of the Versa’s and I agree with your points overall. I’ve had the leak issue and the clicking noise and a loud humming noise when running. I also previously used a Kamoer for my CalRx.

I will say ETM Support has been very good and took quick action when needed and for me I’m close to them so what ever they send to me generally gets to me the next day.

I did have problems with 1 of the 2 pumps that I use for AWC not dosing properly then I did more research on their site and it clearly says the pumps are designed to push so I moved one closer to my salt water reservoir and that solved the issue immediately.

The clicking sound that I believe comes from the rollers that push against the tubing is concerning to me - I just don’t know if it’s normal. I think it would be good if these were replaceable - this way I could have a spare on hand if something goes really wrong.

For my CalRx I have an alert set up if my PH moves > .02 and I check the calibration on the Versa to make sure it’s staying perfect. So far so good.

I really do like the pumps and I’m going to keep moving forward with them. I also knew it was a new product going in so I don’t mind the bumps along the way. For me the small footprint of the pump is really nice.

With that said my suggestions would be a few things and I’m not sure if they are possible-

1 - I’d like to see replacement rollers as an option so the user can replace them.

2 - An update user guide in the box - or just something that stands out and says the pump is designed to push not pull - this was a big ah ha moment for me once I found it on their support site. Maybe even a small one page quick start guide/diagram.

3 - I’d like to see it possible on the mobius app to only have the pump dose on specific days.

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah I will definitely test run it with a couple gallon jugs back and forth each head... so in high in sight should you replace the whole 4 pack when they offered it
Sorry,

One thing I didn’t make clear: when all heads of my first Versa 4-pack leaked, they offered and I accepted a complete replacement. However, one of the new Versa still leaked. Hopefully this makes my previous statement and recommendation a little more clearer.

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry,

One thing I didn’t make clear: when all heads of my first Versa 4-pack leaked, they offered and I accepted a complete replacement. However, one of the new Versa still leaked. Hopefully this makes my previous statement and recommendation a little more clearer.
My application will be 2 heads for 2 part and 2 heads for AWC hopefully no issues

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back