Ecotech Radion G3 Pro or Orphek Atlantik V3

vitaliyphoto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't mean to start a debate here, but here are my 2c. As a 4 year Radion then TIR then G3 PRO upgrade customer I'll honestly advice you to consider the costs of going with PUC-based LEDs. Sure, you can get great coverage, but the only way you can ensure it is by having 2 rows of Radions. For a normal 4x2 ft. SPS tank you're looking at getting 4 units. Is it economical? Sure, you can go with recommended 2 units, but keep in mind that shading will get the best of your sps corals. There are literally lines of brown zoox in the shadowed areas that contrast with colorful parts that get the light, I've observed this before adding t5s to my radio setup. I have 4 units spread out over 6x3 tank with 8 t5 tubes flanking the Radions. LEDs are currently on for aesthetics only (most intense after T5s go out for about 2 hours). Another issue that you may have to consider- brightness. It's quite sad that you can only run Radions at low intensity, this makes up for nearly impossible daytime viewing. They're great, after 8PM or so lol. I would consider supplement t5s for Radions along with wide angle lenses, OR non-puck based cheap LED units that you can install a lot of. Sure, you'll be facing other issues like rainbowing and less shimmer, but you'll have best in class coverage.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen some one switch one lens, it was just an idea I had. I don't see why it wouldn't work, one wide angle lens on each fixture seems sensible in my mind, but your right maybe not do what I think.
contact manufacture and ask the if changing a few lens in the correct places will do what you want? What about Kessils AP700- Does has some issues from what I here but may still be do able. Maybe????

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't mean to start a debate here, but here are my 2c. As a 4 year Radion then TIR then G3 PRO upgrade customer I'll honestly advice you to consider the costs of going with PUC-based LEDs. Sure, you can get great coverage, but the only way you can ensure it is by having 2 rows of Radions. For a normal 4x2 ft. SPS tank you're looking at getting 4 units. Is it economical? Sure, you can go with recommended 2 units, but keep in mind that shading will get the best of your sps corals. There are literally lines of brown zoox in the shadowed areas that contrast with colorful parts that get the light, I've observed this before adding t5s to my radio setup. I have 4 units spread out over 6x3 tank with 8 t5 tubes flanking the Radions. LEDs are currently on for aesthetics only (most intense after T5s go out for about 2 hours). Another issue that you may have to consider- brightness. It's quite sad that you can only run Radions at low intensity, this makes up for nearly impossible daytime viewing. They're great, after 8PM or so lol. I would consider supplement t5s for Radions along with wide angle lenses, OR non-puck based cheap LED units that you can install a lot of. Sure, you'll be facing other issues like rainbowing and less shimmer, but you'll have best in class coverage.

I have some of these issues as I don't have proper coverage and it does show this on my SPS as part od the stick is colorful and part isn't so much. Funds and space are My issues as of now. IMO I agree with you 2 cents. Thanks

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input. I too have been having a hard time finding much in the way of anecdotal information. What info I have seen is from Orphek's web site. Let's be honest though I have not heard of any other hobby lighting company that is producing fixtures for both the hobbyist and public aquariums. That speaks a lot for their tech. I just haven't seen enough yet to completely sway my decision.
Hello Fragit. Thank you for your comments about Orphek. I'm going to post a few video links that should answer a lot of questions about our capabilities.

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many Orphek lights would I need for a 48" deep and 96" long tank. I currently have 4 Radion x30 pro so I would mix them.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to compare if it would be worth it to mix or just go Radions all around with some t5.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James do you think Orphek Atlantik v3 are better then the radion 4g I am looking for lights for my up grade ... And if you think they are better why? I am just wondering why Orphek only went with 4 dimming channels while others went with 7 , 8 or even 9 ?? Is there any disadvantage to only have 4??? This is heavy cash I am going to spend I am so confused ..... Looking at the radion AI hydrants HD , ....

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in the hobby for 46 years. Have had earlier versions of Radions, Razors etc. Became frustrated with all at some point so decided to go with the best I could find. Now have V3's. IMO their is no comparison. Have seen much improved growth from SPS even with Acro's at the bottom of my 135. I am not one to analyze everything and tinker with lighting schedules because in my experience most of what is done along those lines tends to be more detrimental than beneficial. Having a simple 2 light plug and play system on a 72 inch tank that I can adjust from my ipad is about as good as it gets.

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James do you think Orphek Atlantik v3 are better then the radion 4g I am looking for lights for my up grade ... And if you think they are better why? I am just wondering why Orphek only went with 4 dimming channels while others went with 7 , 8 or even 9 ?? Is there any disadvantage to only have 4??? This is heavy cash I am going to spend I am so confused ..... Looking at the radion AI hydrants HD , ....
First, I see no real benefit to having a million channels of light. Coral use light in the 400-550nm and 620-700nm spectral range. Green or yellow LEDs are more for coloration then for coral growth so why waste the LED energy. Secondly, hockey puck style LEDs tend to target PAR in the center zone of the lighted area rather than emit a uniform spread of light. The Orphek Atlantik series are rectangular panels that use individual LEDs which are also dual chip LEDs (two LEDs in each chip). The Atlantik V3 and V3+ are 78 LED systems but with dual chip tech, it's actually a 156 LED system. I am the international sales rep for Orphek but have been in this hobby for over 30 years. Please consider that when you are about to lay out a lot of money for a lighting system for your reef, make sure you do your homework. Check PAR charts and not charts where PAR was taken 12 inches from the light source etc. I don't know of too many people that have 12 inch deep reef tanks. Also check the area covered with usable PAR/PUR and the serviceability; can components easily be changed by the user or do you have to send the unit back for repair. Another feature is upgrading; can the light be upgraded to the latest model. All important items to consider before spending your hard earned money.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Radion cluster pucks are best for LPS. Unless you can afford multiples as mcarroll pointed out. Orphek I think are nice looking LEDs better suited for SPS comparably. They display more spread of light.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James then there is bias to your post Jk... So these would be good for a mixed reef correct. Do u guys run any specials ever ? I was looking to spend like 800 a fixture. 1100 / 2200 for a pair is really stretching the budget . Maybr like a 15 or 20% coupon ... And what are the mounting options for this light and how and how far off the water do they have to be ? My tank dems are 48x 30d x 22h

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back