Ecotech Radion G3 Pro or Orphek Atlantik V3

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James then there is bias to your post Jk... So these would be good for a mixed reef correct. Do u guys run any specials ever ? I was looking to spend like 800 a fixture. 1100 / 2200 for a pair is really stretching the budget . Maybr like a 15 or 20% coupon ... And what are the mounting options for this light and how and how far off the water do they have to be ? My tank dems are 48x 30d x 22h
I'm really not biased but just want people to be aware of items they should look for in a LED light. This of course depends on the application the light will be used for. Like other light technologies, placement of coral is essential in terms of the amount of light intensity they require. Generally coral requiring the least amount of light should be placed on the bottom or bottom third of the tank etc, etc.

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the fixture
Took a little while to get my schedules figured out but a PAR meter would have helped me a ton during that time.
Once I got a PAR meter just took me a few days to set it up :)
Scott is a great guy and so is the owner!
I am switching to the v3 as soon as I sell my fixture (they have made spectrum changes that I appreciate )
I am currently in the market for either Radion XR 15 gen 4 pro x 2 or the Orphek V 3.0 I am leaning more to the Orphek . Thanks! ( 60 gallon true cubeCadlights)

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in the hobby for 46 years. Have had earlier versions of Radions, Razors etc. Became frustrated with all at some point so decided to go with the best I could find. Now have V3's. IMO their is no comparison. Have seen much improved growth from SPS even with Acro's at the bottom of my 135. I am not one to analyze everything and tinker with lighting schedules because in my experience most of what is done along those lines tends to be more detrimental than beneficial. Having a simple 2 light plug and play system on a 72 inch tank that I can adjust from my ipad is about as good as it gets.
Agreed. You cannot compare Atlantiks to the others alone. 1 Atlantik covers what 2-3 Radions would. Gonna say this again, people dont have sucess with leds mainly because they go the same old route when buying their fixtures. Many other options are better, but users mainly want to stick to the most popular ones, hindering their chance of success.

Another opinion: led problems mainly come from cluster style units, since nowadays most units have UV and the needed spectrum. IMO the way to go is panel styles, such as orphek, and the other more expensive ones such as Lani leds. More leds, spread over larger fixtures beat cluster packed ones with tiny reflectors claiming to cover larger areas.

What sucks about Orphek: they are shipped from Hong Kong, and although have 2 years of warranty, it becomes a hassle when you have a problem. They will take care of you, but it isnt as simple as if they were in the US. There is a company here that now is selling them, maybe that will change this. All other manufacturers offer one year warranty, so basically after the first year all units are out of warranty, and you will end up on your own when they are more prone to failures.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who makes the orphek diodes? Saw the unit at macna and they look like China specials.

jamesbog283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm a newbie and I'm just starting up my first tank. It's only 29 gallons 30"x12x18" but I'm loving it so far and could see a larger tank in the future. I hate spending $$ but moreso than that I hate spending it twice. I'd like to get a light setup that would work on this and possibly a larger tank also. Would a light like the orphek be overkill for my little tank or could I end up harming the inhabitants if I did something like this?

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who makes the orphek diodes? Saw the unit at macna and they look like China specials.
Orphek manufactures them in house. Not sure what that means but the claim is crees present on other fixtures don't have quite the same range in spectrum. Maybe others can pitch in more about this.
I know you posted about some new diodes coming as the new reefing revolution?

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek manufactures them in house. Not sure what that means but the claim is crees present on other fixtures don't have quite the same range in spectrum. Maybe others can pitch in more about this.
I know you posted about some new diodes coming as the new reefing revolution?

Basically Lumileds created an led with a red 650nm and blue 450nm peak only. This makes red leds in fixtures obsolete and negates the need for a white channel at all when you use it in conjunction with lime or mint. While some think this is not a big deal it actually allows for an led to have a much greater PUR/PAR ratio than ever before as white leds are not needed for aesthetics.

As for them manufacturing in house I thought Orphek was a Brazilian company but the diodes are made in China? Cree means nothing nowadays. They are just a decent diode for bottom dollar.

Reefiin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking at the orphek before i end up with 3x g3 pro. You get more light from the orphek but the quality compare to ecotech is bad ithink. Maybe they last the same time before they die hehe

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one time or another have had most brands of lights as I like to try new things. Got two of the Atlantik V3's for my 135. Best example is my candy canes that were kind of forgotten off in a bottom corner. Since changing lights the heads are multiplying at a rate of about one a week. Cant say enough good things about these lights.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are excellent, service is bad with Orphek, if someone is OK with dealing with a long distance vendor going in with them, it should work well. Light for light, atlantiks V3+ are cutting edge

Doran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the v4. Could have gone other option for less $ and am taking out my 8 bulb ATI t5 w reefbrite xho to be replace by Orphek v4. Other tank is running kessils..... James dialogue sealed the deal and funds have sent. Hope it was good decision.

Doran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been up and running for a week now. There is a learning curve for the programming - BRS videos give some good input there as well as the BRS videos on the lab testing for coral growth using the radions - you can interpolate the results by color band to any other bandwidth controllable light.....

To cover 48" wide you need the light pretty high (mu tank size) or run two lights (or two compacts) I am running 1 on the 48x24x24 and it is fine but high - Plenty of PAR.

I will be adding and changing out another system to this light.

Stevenson22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great.. I have a 250 deep dimension. I plan on 2 lights due to the cross brace . With tank divided in half it's 36 wide 24 deep 36ish long ... I have a canopy and might have to remove it?

57buick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek beats Radions hands down. Orphek and Philips are making the best reef lights on in the world right now but Philips are not available in the USA and the Orphek covers an SPS tank up to 48x24 with one light

Josip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree. I have bought and installed 2 Orphek Atlantic v4 for my 250 gallon tank. And i have to tell you i am happy. I have a drop off tank with deepest point being almost over 5 feet deep and light oh boy light is just everywhere.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.0%
Back