Ecotech radion g5 knock off found!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder who makes this stuff up and people believe it.

Such utter horse rectal discharge.

I guess that's why emus sell insurance now.
YjNkOC5qcGc

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of these examples of knockoffs/theft? If so which is the original? I thought this would be a fun exercise for everyone.

AI Nero
EEF7EE8E-7559-4FC5-8D0B-933AD7A4BE20.png

Reef breeders
50F38F0D-3F09-480C-8A4F-1627C01D6498.jpeg

Jebao SLW
89891A22-4035-431E-932F-AFC50A1791EB.jpeg

Wasn’t the reef breeders first, jebao second, and AI actually last on that example. I DO rememeber seeing the reef breeders one for sale before the AI ones hit the market.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wasn’t the reef breeders first, jebao second, and AI actually last on that example. I DO rememeber seeing the reef breeders one for sale before the AI ones hit the market.
To be honest, I really do not know which one came out first. I was trying to point out how similar they all are, and it’s only Jabeo that often gets called out.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kessil knockoff of that brand (they call themselves A+), the app/programming is horrible unless you understand Chinese.
On the pictures the app looks like it is English, but it works with a lot of popup messages and all these are Chinese.
The seller promised better English app-updates but never happened.
The light is in a drawer somewhere, can't use it because of the app.

Safe yourself a lot of trouble/money and go for the real deal.

Last edited:

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This conversation made me giggle. Sounds like my thanksgiving dinner when my family gets together! We just like to argue. Lol.

I totally agree I felt the same way. There is no real argument here. If a company thinks they have something novel, they should protect their intellectual property. If they don't, it is their own fault. If it is on the market and it wasn't protected -- then everybody under the sun has the right to manufacture something that is functionally "similar". The only caveat to this is what lawyers refer to as "Trade Dress". The "other" product can fill the same niche -- but it can't confuse the consumer to the point at which they thought it came from the original company. So in many cases, the knock off lights are just fine. But, I agree the one that looks like an Ecotech -- very well may have a "trade dress" issue. In reality, all they have to do is change the labeling to be clear. That is why every milk jug looks the same but has different labeling.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I totally agree I felt the same way. There is no real argument here. If a company thinks they have something novel, they should protect their intellectual property. If they don't, it is their own fault. If it is on the market and it wasn't protected -- then everybody under the sun has the right to manufacture something that is functionally "similar". The only caveat to this is what lawyers refer to as "Trade Dress". The "other" product can fill the same niche -- but it can't confuse the consumer to the point at which they thought it came from the original company. So in many cases, the knock off lights are just fine. But, I agree the one that looks like an Ecotech -- very well may have a "trade dress" issue. In reality, all they have to do is change the labeling to be clear. That is why every milk jug looks the same but has different labeling.

Except China doesn't honor or enforce patents that are here in the US. Who is going to go after the company making this knock off?

China has stolen designs for decades in this hobby. One company's entire existence is based upon stealing other's designs. No one stopped them early on and now they are constantly promoted.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Except China doesn't honor or enforce patents that are here in the US. Who is going to go after the company making this knock off?

China has stolen designs for decades in this hobby. One company's entire existence is based upon stealing other's designs. No one stopped them early on and now they are constantly promoted.
You wouldn’t believe how stupid some of our business managers and lawyers are. I worked with a company that most of us know (vacation travel) and apparently some of their product designs assets are owned by a Chinese company. Why? Because the contract was so poorly written and gave away all rights to the company who made a visualization for marketing. Not even making them work for it at that point.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will jump in for kicks, knock off doesn’t mean patent infringement! Just looking the same doesn’t mean anything. Second poster even said there is clear differences in volts and number of channels. We don’t even know performance nor are they insinuating it is a radion. So all this talk is a non issue.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will jump in for kicks, knock off doesn’t mean patent infringement! Just looking the same doesn’t mean anything. Second poster even said there is clear differences in volts and number of channels. We don’t even know performance nor are they insinuating it is a radion. So all this talk is a non issue.

When you take someone else's intellectual design and flat out copy it, that's unethical and immoral in every way. I don't care about the legality. Lots of things are legal but unethical.

Company: I mean we made it look exactly like a duck, it sits like a duck, it even walks like a duck but the quack is 5% quieter and in a different language...

Consumer: Oh! That's okay then!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you take someone else's intellectual design and flat out copy it, that's unethical and immoral in every way. I don't care about the legality. Lots of things are legal but unethical.

Company: I mean we made it look exactly like a duck, it sits like a duck, it even walks like a duck but the quack is 5% quieter and in a different language...

Consumer: Oh! That's okay then!

This really has me laughing. If you follow this logic with everything you buy it must be tough. Curious which truck you think it is ethically and morally ok for me to buy? I mean they all are pretty much the same and any new advance is copied as soon as legally viable so i just dont know which i can buy and not go to hell?

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will buy one just to see how well it works. If Jabeo makes one, I wouldn’t even think twice.
My point being was that there is nothing "Novel or new" about the examples given in this post... the MP series is..

the patent does expire soon if I remember correctly.

Back to your point.. I would give it a shot as well.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My point being was that there is nothing "Novel or new" about the examples given in this post... the MP series is..

the patent does expire soon if I remember correctly.

Back to your point.. I would give it a shot as well.

I believe it "ends" in 2026 but Ecotech will make enough of a change to extend it another 7 years or whatever it is. They've done it before and will again.

If knock off artists could have copied it for less, they would have done so years ago.

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my gosh... there are many examples of people making knock offs in the US. Patents only give the company the right to protect itself. If they choose to not go after whomever violates their patents --- that is their own prerogative. I suspect that what you are seeing in this case is that the Ecotechs were at least partially made overseas. When they were acquired, they were probably told they were going to have to rebrand under the new umbrella. I suspect this is a sign that the Ecotechs, as we know them, are a thing of the past.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back