0   0   0
Got a link?
Screenshot_20240201-151554.png

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like they just lifted this from Radion, but if they do come with some sort of lens and have some sort of angled coverage then seems "better" than the A8 with what seems like just a frosted piece of acrylic
1706845995180.png

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like they just lifted this from Radion, but if they do come with some sort of lens and have some sort of angled coverage then seems "better" than the A8 with what seems like just a frosted piece of acrylic
The A8 is lensed.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The A8 is lensed.

Then either the Chinese seller didnt understand what I asked, or they are giving me wrong information as I asked if there are any lense for the A8 and they said no.

Debating if i should get the A8 with the "full spectrum" look or X30 Blue

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Then either the Chinese seller didnt understand what I asked, or they are giving me wrong information as I asked if there are any lense for the A8 and they said no.

Debating if i should get the A8 with the "full spectrum" look or X30 Blue
Get the blue. The only reason to not get the blue would be if you were farming. Blues make it pop. I suppose if you like dull, boring coral you could pass on the blue. Some people in here perfer the "natural" look.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know do all the A8 variants use the same app.

Can vouch for A8 SE recently moved from app 2.0.1 to 2.1.1 & it works.

If anyone new to these is pulling your hair out with the app not picking up wifi or similiar things during setup that make you pull your hair out with it the fix is normally this

a8 reset.jpg

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the blue. The only reason to not get the blue would be if you were farming. Blues make it pop. I suppose if you like dull, boring coral you could pass on the blue. Some people in here perfer the "natural" look.
I had "full spectrum" lights for a while now and i guess you could say that the washed out look always plagued me. Its hard to setup the lights so it looks good. Ill probably try the X30 Blue

augiedoggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading 20 pages these things come to mind:
1) it's clear most don't know the actual definition used by companies to comply with made in America
2) if you knew the definition you would know all a manufacturer has to do is change one component and change its original design to meet made in America
3) everyone says knock off this etc but 99% of the lights used in today's reefing are knock off designs off horticulture lights that a few diodes have been replaced to achieve the color we want.
4) yes mobius sucks right along with neptune which are all owned by the same company
5) why is everyone disregarding actual people who have no skin in the game to side with marketers of a supplier whose main goal is to get you to spend money with them and no one else(watch most of the first 52 weeks and then watch the investigate videos and see them most of time trash what they sold you a year ago to use the newest one out there)
6) we keep saying China black box and fire and 99% of the lights are made in China and just such how many ai primes have melted the lens, now ask yourself why is ok for a name brand to melt but heaven forbid a black box do it. FYI the name brand has the certs that keep getting thrown around.
7) many of us run neptune controllers many in the cabinet with sump and these aren't even rated for high humidity environments
8) now ask yourself if you could buy a light for 300-400 and 20$ worth of diodes and swap a few and get the same color spectrum in a hour why would you nor? Oh its because ecotech tells you assembled in Pennsylvania. It's right there in front of you saying we buy all our stuff from Alibaba and slap it together here.( example I work for government had to adhere to buy American ordered a piece of 300k equipment only to have to laugh when I peeled the made in America sticker off and under was "hecho in Mexico" when we asked the company what was up they told us the truth unit made in Mexico tested in Mexico control panel removed and crated sent across border and re attached to unit and low and behold meets federal made in America laws and regs.

Point is so many have made this hobby about name brands instead of about the things inside the tank. The only name brands we really should care about if ORA, biota, and a few other actual captive bred or 100% aquacultured vendors. That is what will make this hobby be able to keep moving. Many countries including the US are actively trying to stop importing wild caught and some countries have stopped the ability to harvest these animals but let's continue to argue over names all while they take money way over what the product is worth from you and laugh in our faces majority of time. I can buy a led fixture that is made to be in rain, sleet, snow, etc and get 50k hr warranty on it for what we pay for a light that has 1yr ( around 3k hr warranty). How can a manufacturer selling me that light with a meanwell driver and Cree diodes mind you way more turn what is any of our lights about to sell me that and warranty it exposed to elements while a light that sits in your house can only be warrantied for one year? Oh and by the way if my light goes out they send me whole array or driver to replace it. Make it make sense oh wait it does because to many are focused on name brand and will pay the price to essentially get spit on. Rant over thanks
In regards to this and most of the first half of this thread which was off topic, I'll throw in my 2 cents. I used to install and service engineering printers and plotters for a couple decades and I seen the trend for a large portion of the my customers to take their manufacturing overseas often even buying and rebranding other levels of more economical products along with the one product line they still had a hand in designing. They would often do things like add the US power cords here and sell as made in USA. With automotive parts its easy to see the same foreign made parts sold under many different name brands at drastically different prices.

Ill use the AFR "enforcer" cylinder heads for small block chevys for example. The castings were direct chinese clone knock offs of an american manufactured Dart pro platinum design. For years arguments (or should I say "discussions") like this one would occur on forums while those that tried these heads found them to be an amazing performing value compared to the inflated cost of the dart version for whatever reasons... AFR noticed this too and started importing these knockoffs, recutting the valves to match the type they use and selling them as AFR heads for about twice the price as direct from china. And just like that, those heads were acceptable alternatives in the eyes of many who criticized them as knock offs before. the truth is most of the products we own are designs taken and copied from manufacturers other than who made ours.. everything is eventually utilized by others. These lights copy a cosmetic and layout design just as most jeans sold today copied levis but we know they are not the same.

I am not saying theres not something to be said for keeping in mind where and who is involved in making a product but theres more to it than going by name brands and price and thats unfortunately the deciding factors for most.

I used to repair tvs as a hobby and it was eye opening to see who actually made what and what was just a rebranded version of what with a different case and firmware the more you know the more you realize how we are "conditioned" to think a certain way when we make purchases and often those that make a big deal of being made in America are the ones exploiting that mindset.
Do any of you remember reading the popular mechanics article about the "knock off" I phones that were superior to the originals for drastically less $$

IMO sure we could all take the highground and live a much more moddest livestyle with less if we chose to only support american made items. But so could many of the "american" companies that instead choose business success over politics and the countries economics. The truth is we are slowly coming closer and closer to a world economy meanwhile with the manufacturing giant changing from country to country over the decades as each country changes..

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an X30 Blue that mimics the G5 Blue.
There is a place where I get corals and EVERYTHING is raised under these "knockoff" lights and they are legit in PAR output, color and yeah, pretty much dead knockoffs. note for note. Very cool actually.

There is nothing wrong with them AT ALL.

What people need to realize is that they're getting ripped off for the "name brands" 3-4 times the price of what they really cost. So who do you get mad at? The chinese who bring them to market for what they're REALLY worth? Or all these crooks who rip you off, then won't help you when something breaks?

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am intrigued by these lights. and have been contemplating ordering the x30 blue. Is the meanwell driver up to spec to support the light? and does the light have an acclimation mode?

augiedoggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am intrigued by these lights. and have been contemplating ordering the x30 blue. Is the meanwell driver up to spec to support the light? and does the light have an acclimation mode?
Just my 2 cents as someone you works with this type of stuff on a regular basis, I'm willing to bet the app control is the single most noticeable difference between them. other than that if you go with the meanwell supply and better led option you probably wont see any difference in actual performance. Ive used a lot of meanwell supplies and drivers and they are decent quality.

Theres no magic thing in my mind that can actually justify the crazy prices some of this stuff in this hobby goes for. It really is one of those things thats also derived from stereotyping the average consumer in the hobby and how much disposable income they have on average. Like high end golf clubs IMO...

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents as someone you works with this type of stuff on a regular basis, I'm willing to bet the app control is the single most noticeable difference between them. other than that if you go with the meanwell supply and better led option you probably wont see any difference in actual performance. Ive used a lot of meanwell supplies and drivers and they are decent quality.

Theres no magic thing in my mind that can actually justify the crazy prices some of this stuff in this hobby goes for. It really is one of those things thats also derived from stereotyping the average consumer in the hobby and how much disposable income they have on average. Like high end golf clubs IMO...
oh i 1000% agree. and yes i think its awesome they use a meanwell. honestly i think i had the best growth and coloration from the original black box leds. simple analog wall time for on off for blues and whites. i do however, appreciate the custom acclimation mode most brand name leds offer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back