Ecotech Versa discontinued?

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grabbing some popcorn for the 10 minutes it takes them to sell out of 500 buckets of TMP when it comes back in stock.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not any more they don't. They sold out just about as soon as they put them online. I was lucky to be sitting at my computer when I got the email notification that they were in stock. From getting that email to being checked out was less than a minute for me.
I hate, all of you lol

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will trade my new, unopened M2 for a holy grail torch. (sarcasm)
Good Vibes GIF by Schitt's Creek

blue space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously though...

Still no Versa pumps to be found? Everyone is still sold out and have not had stock since I've been on the notification list at my fav online store.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check with your local LFS first as they seem to be receiving some shipments of Versas and also Tropic Marin Salt.
Plus, your LFS, particularly a smaller one, is going to see a whole lot less traffic than BRS or any other big online retailer. BRS might have a hundred people with notifications on that pump and maybe another thousand checking it every day to see if it's in stock, while your LFS might have a handful of people asking about it each month.

blue space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I checked with LFS's but they don't carry it yet. They have the full line-up of Radions and wave makers so hopefully they'll add it to their stock soon. Still, you'd think that they'd have production back up, after the move, in order to provide stock to their retailers. I mean what kind of shape would my company be in if I couldn't provide product for this many months on end? Something is not adding up...

@dank reefer - Careful not to fish-lip it dude! :D

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still, you'd think that they'd have production back up, after the move, in order to provide stock to their retailers
That's what I said *months* ago. You'd think they'd at least get a skeleton crew in there to get start moving some of these. Think about how many new reefers are out there, myself very much included, that can't get one. And, since Ecotech has their own ecosystem (mobius), I'm willing to bet a lot of people not being able to get their hands on the Versa, went with the DOS, which requires the Apex, which puts them in the Neptune ecosystem, which means they're not likely to buy any ecotech gear going forward (unless they leave Neptune).
I'm still very, very new to all this. New enough that all my fish and corals are still in QT and my DT is still empty. I've been staying away from Neptune as much as I can, but I really had my heart set on some type of AWC. Luckily I snagged two versa pumps (and I have two MP10s as well, and I think my AI lights can somehow be integrated too, not sure), but eventually I would have given up waiting and gone with Neptune. I still think about it once in a while, it's just so expensive and I read about so many problems with it.

Having said all that. I have no idea what's really going on behind the scenes. Maybe they are still cranking them out, just not fast enough to meet demand.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I checked with LFS's but they don't carry it yet. They have the full line-up of Radions and wave makers so hopefully they'll add it to their stock soon. Still, you'd think that they'd have production back up, after the move, in order to provide stock to their retailers. I mean what kind of shape would my company be in if I couldn't provide product for this many months on end? Something is not adding up...

@dank reefer - Careful not to fish-lip it dude! :D
There are multiple things that have caused things to take different directions.
1st thing was Covid, and not only did it affect ETM, but other companies as well (can we say Tropic Marin).
2nd thing was the move to the new facility - couple that with Covid and you have a mass Fluster Cluck

One thing we all have to learn in this hobby is having patience. And check with your local LFS and see if they can hold some for you when they get some in. You can try the major online retail stores, but pretty sure by the time you receive an email that its back in limited stock, you will not be the only one receiving that email and chances are, by the time you check they are already gone.

I have all the patience in the world as to why I Fish-Lip it all the time as I have no one to pass it too! :)

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are multiple things that have caused things to take different directions.
1st thing was Covid, and not only did it affect ETM, but other companies as well (can we say Tropic Marin).
2nd thing was the move to the new facility - couple that with Covid and you have a mass Fluster Cluck

One thing we all have to learn in this hobby is having patience. And check with your local LFS and see if they can hold some for you when they get some in. You can try the major online retail stores, but pretty sure by the time you receive an email that its back in limited stock, you will not be the only one receiving that email and chances are, by the time you check they are already gone.

I have all the patience in the world as to why I Fish-Lip it all the time as I have no one to pass it too! :)

It's going to be a LONG TIME until the effects of companies shutting down because of COVID are gone.

It's not just Ecotech closing for a month or two at the beginning.

If you take the versa for example, ecotech does manufacture some of the parts, but what about the screws or adapters? The parts supplier may have been shut down for longer, and now may be back up but at reduced capacity. Running at reduced capacity means you pick and choose what orders to fill, and the screws for a dosing pump for an aquarium isn't high priority.

It's things like this, in conjunction with increased demand that have everything at a stand still.

And it's not just reefing stuff, it's across the board. Go to an independent hardware store and look at the long handle tool aisle, it's going to be pretty bare.

Here's another example. I'm a sales rep for a distribution company and we sell Ball canning jars. In 2019-20 we sold 12-14 pallets of wide mouth quart size jars, that's about half a truckload. Canning supplies ran short last summer and have been very hard to find. Ball actually cut our company off completely in July 2020, and didn't say we could reorder again until Feb 2021. They said they would have product to fill orders. Our company took orders for 13 TRUCKLOADS of product, that's a 23x increase in orders. There's no way any company can forecast things like this. We got two truckloads of product from Ball to fill all those orders.

The increase in demand is both from consumers (people who buy and use the product) as well as retailers (stores). The demand from retailers is somewhat inflated because most people are ordering as much as possible from every supplier. I wouldn't be surprised if there's small LFS who specialize in reef gear that end up with 20-30 versa pumps because they order 10 from 3 suppliers and all the suppliers received product at the same time. The LFS didn't really want 30 pumps, they just ordered from everyone because no one had it and just wanted it to come from whoever got it first. This keeps supply low on the distribution side, and less stores have product available.

My prediction is that things don't even out until late 2022- early 2023. And that's being optimistic.

And the whole "delays at the ports" is 100% true. It used to take 45-60 days for a container to leave China/Italy/Wherever and hit warehouses on the east coast of the US, and that was with any normal delays (storms, customs inspections, ect). It's now at 180+ days.

blue space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's what I been tryin' to tell ya... there ain't no fricken French fries. :)

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well some guy on ebay just sold three of these for 1500 a piece. I got three Drews doser and will move on and not entertain buying these again.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Novey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech Versa haven't been available in the UK for 2.5 years. I have three, one has just broken down and can't replace it. I will have to give up with the brand and look elsewhere. Doesn't seem like Ecotech manufacture the Versa anymore.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back