Ecotech Versa Questions and Issues

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you've peaked my curiosity, would it be possible for you to post a video of it leaking back into the container?

Can you actually see the bubbles feed backwards through the clear tube?

I have actually watched the bubbles go through the pump. In both cases, the tubing was pushed up against the clear cover. There seems to be about a 2 milimeter gap between the roller and the cover. I think when the tubing walks over into this gap on the top 2 rollers is when it leaks back through.

No I can't post a video because after it happens the pumps no longer will even pump.

Replacing the tubing has fixed both issues for now. I don't have confidence that this will not happen again in the future. I am thinking that these pumps sat in a warehouse awaiting release and the tubing changed shape. My concern is that the "home" feature will cause permanent distortions and cause the issue to reappear later. A couple of the pumps will be continuously dosing so I am not worried about them. But several will be dosing 10 -100 ml over short periods. I would like to be able to turn "homing" off so it does not deform the tubing in the same spot every time.

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to say that I do have complete confidence that Ecotech will work through this and make these as reliable as the rest of their products. I have a new tank and several pumps on other tanks that need replacing. The packaging is such a great fit. Having the ability to have 4 on a base station and also mount individually is a home run for my situation. So I went all in and bought 9.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that exact problem, and tests determined it was tube alignment when clamping it. The tube had a slight twist in it making it ride off center. My tube was rubbing up against the plastic cover just as you explained and I was instructed to test for a seal. If the clear cover wasn't on, it would pull air, but with the cover on, it did not.

I know that most companies pick fan boys to be their beta testers, ones that just want to say they have the product before anyone else and for them the extent of beta testing is plugging it in and turning it on. I'm sure there's probably a few of those within the etm testers. Even if there is, I assure you the engineers at ecotech has hypothesized exactly what your suggesting about the park feature, and the evidence proved otherwise.

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that exact problem, and tests determined it was tube alignment when clamping it. The tube had a slight twist in it making it ride off center. My tube was rubbing up against the plastic cover just as you explained and I was instructed to test for a seal. If the clear cover wasn't on, it would pull air, but with the cover on, it did not.

I know that most companies pick fan boys to be their beta testers, ones that just want to say they have the product before anyone else and for them the extent of beta testing is plugging it in and turning it on. I'm sure there's probably a few of those within the etm testers. Even if there is, I assure you the engineers at ecotech has hypothesized exactly what your suggesting about the park feature, and the evidence proved otherwise.

That's interesting. I bet when it presses up against the cover it's making a small triangle inside the tube verses being smooshed flat and sealed.

I would still like the homing to be optional. Especially with the material they chose. I would like to know what evidence proved otherwise.

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running Kalk through BRS dosing pumps for at least 7 years and through Neptune Systems DOS for the last 5. It is a very clean and easy way to run Kalk. Kalk has a PH around 12. I knew this and I knew that it causes polycarbonate to crack. So I consider this my fault. After 3 weeks the one Versa that I had with no problems developed cracks in the connector and leaked kalk out.

20200214_163047.jpg

It's my fault. I should have thought about this. But you really could not see how it was built until you get your hands on it.

After looking more closely, another thing that I am concerned about is that these connectors are glued. We have had problems, in the hobby, with glued dosing containers and optical sensors holding up with Alkalinity/Soda Ash/Sodium Carbonate.

veselym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought two, both pumps won’t hold a prime...what the heck

so do I have to contact EcoTech and get replacements or is there a way it can be fixed? The adapters for soft line leaked, flexline doesn’t leak but won’t hold a siphon.

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought two, both pumps won’t hold a prime...what the heck

so do I have to contact EcoTech and get replacements or is there a way it can be fixed? The adapters for soft line leaked, flexline doesn’t leak but won’t hold a siphon.

I did get very quick replacements from their support.

Dales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I got my Versa yesterday. Hook it up, calibrate but I still can't get it to work. When I check the verify settings, there seem to be a problem with the calibration. Tried calibrating a few times but still can't get it solved. Any help?

Screenshot_2020-03-17-18-10-54-919_com.c2development.mobius.jpg

ATM2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give them a call, they will take care of you

Hi,

When you called ecotech marine did they replace the dosing pump or just the push to connect tube connector? I'm having the same issue I prime the dosing pumps but then after a few days they longer pump the liquids into the aquarium. I have checked the push to connect tube connector and they have air bubbles inside of them. I think when I call ecotech marine I will ask them to send me the barb tube connector instead of the push to connect tube connector.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

When you called ecotech marine did they replace the dosing pump or just the push to connect tube connector? I'm having the same issue I prime the dosing pumps but then after a few days they longer pump the liquids into the aquarium. I have checked the push to connect tube connector and they have air bubbles inside of them. I think when I call ecotech marine I will ask them to send me the barb tube connector instead of the push to connect tube connector.
The will send you a kit with a new tube assy and some silicone grease.

I can't speak on whether or not they have the barb connector assy. I know there is literature, videos and pictures out there, but as I understand it, they made a decision late in production to only sell push to connect fittings, and then offer the adapter with the barb fitting.

I would be interested to know if they do send you one... keep me posted.

techdef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump - I just put in two of these and am having similar issues. RO hose doesn’t hold a seal. I tried their barb fittings and same result: air intrusion. They’re sending some replacement bits.

Maybe they got a lousy set of connectors from a vendor? They’re not John Guest...

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not what I wanted to hear about these. It seems v2 is upcoming with potential fixes but haven’t shown up to vend yet.

OP
OP
Peter K

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using on a calcium reactor for a while now and have had 0 issues with the connectors leaking. I bought an extra tube set just in case but am having no issues with the one that came with the pump.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back