Edible six-pack rings feed marine life, not harm it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
573b85741600006400f9394c.jpeg

You know those nasty six-pack rings on beer and soda that end up in nature and pose serious threats to wildlife? Saltwater Brewery in Delray Beach, Florida, has an incredible answer by developing edible six-pack rings that will feed, rather than kill, marine life if the rings would end up in the ocean.

573b99411a00003000c28c77.jpeg

In fact, the rings are created from by-products of the brewing process, like the barley and wheat, making it completely safe for humans and fish to eat. What if they don’t end up in the ocean? Well they are 100% biodegradable and compostable making it an even better product. Reusing materials? Check! Won’t harm wildlife? Check! Biodegradable? Check! Beer? Check!

The brewery notes the design is as resistant and efficient as plastic packaging, but are more expensive to produce. The extra cost is well worth it and will only add a slightly higher cost to the product for consumers. However, if more local and regional bottlers (beer, water, soda, etc.) used these, then there could be an economy of scale reached.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YG9gUJMGyw
Readers also viewed:

Continue reading...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back