Edvard and Munch- Blue stripe pipefish

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it easy to determine the sex of a pipefish? and is it better for survival if they are bought in pairs?

Males have a flatter belly area than the females,

How big would you say your pipes are mine must be a little more mature than yours or something because they have developed rhino looking horns on their noses! Any signs of this on yours?

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pipefish do not need the same environment as Sea Horses. Surprisingly, they do very well, in a full reef tank, even one with high flow. As for tank mates, one that'll come as a surprise to a lot of people, to AVOID, is Lawnmower Blennies. Do NOT put Pipefish in with Lawnmower Blenny. The Blenny will kill the Pipefish. It's really weird, because Starry Blennys are fine with them. Not so much with Lawnmowers.

wow i did not know that - i may just do a little research on them today if i get time - they are cool looking

OP
OP
drainbamage

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Males have a flatter belly area than the females,

How big would you say your pipes are mine must be a little more mature than yours or something because they have developed rhino looking horns on their noses! Any signs of this on yours?

Considering Bio-Nut had them for 4 years before I got the, I'd say they're full grown :tongue: maybe 3 inches or so. They do have a small bit of flaring on their upper mouth, but not enough I'd call it a developed horn or something like a tang gets.

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kool thanks
do you know if they are able to change their sex to mate? because i havent seen any in my local fish store sold in pairs, just a big pipe fish tank with like 7-8 pipefish..

OP
OP
drainbamage

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kool thanks
do you know if they are able to change their sex to mate? because i havent seen any in my local fish store sold in pairs, just a big pipe fish tank with like 7-8 pipefish..

My hunch would be that they can not- the anatomical structures for the brooding pouches would be vast undertaking for a sex change. That said, I'm not sure. If you're able to separate two at a time, you should be able to eventually pick out a male and female

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks for all ur help bamage, id love to see some more pics bro...

acronautical

acronautical
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up my pair at PK in SD about six months ago. They seem to be doing well and are definitely in love! I've made sure that they are the only true microfauna hunters in my 150 reef, to make sure their food stocks remain adequate. Steve.

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still love some pics!!!!! and where did you say you got yours from?

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back