EEFW infestation (euphyllia eating flatworms)

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip them using coral revive. They peel off in seconds using it. I’ve tried other stuff but nothing works even close as good as revive. They spaz right out in seconds and come off the torches Flatworm exit doesn’t work on these at all.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dip them using coral revive. They peel off in seconds using it. I’ve tried other stuff but nothing works even close as good as revive. They spaz right out in seconds and come off the torches Flatworm exit doesn’t work on these at all.
It will have little effect if any on eggs. Eggs must be physically removed

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might not kill the eggs but I’ll garantee you it’s the most effective against the hatched ones. Dip every few days and they will soon be gone.
You referring to the Waminoa / Euphylia-loving flatworms? I dipped all my corals a few times in Revive as it worked great to get them off. Only had a few in quarantine though.

Sadly, noticed them again today in quarantine on the glass. Thinking about removing all corals/snails into a bath, dipping all corals and scraping plugs, and doing a 100% water change in the QT with a good alcohol / vinegar scrub.

Fun times - although I'm starting to think these Waminoa flatworms are relatively UBIQUITOUS in the reef game...

NickCage007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You referring to the Waminoa / Euphylia-loving flatworms? I dipped all my corals a few times in Revive as it worked great to get them off. Only had a few in quarantine though.

Sadly, noticed them again today in quarantine on the glass. Thinking about removing all corals/snails into a bath, dipping all corals and scraping plugs, and doing a 100% water change in the QT with a good alcohol / vinegar scrub.

Fun times - although I'm starting to think these Waminoa flatworms are relatively UBIQUITOUS in the reef game...
The euphylia eating worms are not at all waminoa polyclads. Seeing them in person, youll understand. They are the size of ur thumbnail, if not larger. The euphyllia eating ones, discussed here.

The benign waminoa ones are tiny. Like 5 can fit on a frogspawn tip... can Seen on glass ect.

These that they are talking about wont leave the euphyllia.

So, just thought id throw that in, since u were derailing the thread, with no relation to what these folks are talking about...

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The euphylia eating worms are not at all waminoa polyclads. Seeing them in person, youll understand. They are the size of ur thumbnail, if not larger. The euphyllia eating ones, discussed here.

The benign waminoa ones are tiny. Like 5 can fit on a frogspawn tip... can Seen on glass ect.

These that they are talking about wont leave the euphyllia.

So, just thought id throw that in, since u were derailing the thread, with no relation to what these folks are talking about...
I'd ask you to reconsider that I'm "derailing the thread, with no relation to what these folks are talking about." It resonates with disrespect - not really what this forum is about. I am inquiring about a flatworm that lives on euphylia and treatment options for this. As this thread is focused on euphylia eating flatworms - I suggest my points are reasonable contributions for discussion.

Thank you for clarifying that a different species of flatworm on euphylia is at play here.

As an FYI, you indicate Waminoa flatworms are benign. There is published evidence that they negatively impact coral health: https://reefs.com/magazine/epizoic-flatworms-impair-coral-feeding-evidence-for-parasitism/. Please also see the recently published attached PDF on this matter.

Attachments

• Cooper_Zoological_Science_2015 Waminoa.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 103

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20210520_075212398.jpg
Joining the EEFW party!! Started dosing with Prazipro tonight and it seemed to knock out all the visible ones pretty quickly. I hope my torches make it through

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can’t see any flatworm but prazi generally does not impact them. If it worked- great
Do for the next two weeks look for presence of eggs which are tiny.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t see any flatworm but prazi generally does not impact them. If it worked- great
Do for the next two weeks look for presence of eggs which are tiny.

It's on the back glass. I believe praziquantel kills all worm parasites, no?

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at this recent article about using Lanthanum (slowly) to kill all flatworms (even AEFW). I started and it is working nicely.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Although Prazi states turberellis and flatworm on the bottle, I have found it less effective than those such as salifert flatworm exit.
Other option is to siphon out with a 3/8" tube as well as adding a wrasse such as yellow coris, 6 lined, lunare or melanurus which should eat them

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had these guys. I found that Bauer seems the least stressful on euphyllia. I tried Revive and Coral RX. Revive seemed the most stressful. Took a day or two for polyps to open. With Bayer they open up almost right away when placed back in the tank.

I choose to do five dips four days apart. I couldn’t find any conclusive data on hatching cycle but that seemed to work.

I have a 48x32 tank setup just for euphyllia. It’s packed pretty full with hammers, torches and frogspawn but they seem to prefer torches. I would find a couple on the hammers and frogspawn but the torches would be covered.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although Prazi states turberellis and flatworm on the bottle, I have found it less effective than those such as salifert flatworm exit.
Other option is to siphon out with a 3/8" tube as well as adding a wrasse such as yellow coris, 6 lined, lunare or melanurus which should eat them
You keep bringing up flatworm exit, but as others have stated it is useless against polyclad flatworms and just pouring away money. Flatworm exit is great for for common planaria and even pretty effective with zoa nudis...useless for polyclad flatworms, AEFW, etc.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping on this thread...
Been there and dealt with the same EEFW! They are the worst pest I've encountered... And that includes the monti eating nudis.
Found them on my torches (yes, multiple) and started the process... I dipped using Revive exclusively; Tried others, but Revive was the only one that worked.
Dip every 5-7 days and when doing so, taking time to scrape the eggs (as vetteguy noted, they are extremely small) with a #11 blade. Did so for 4 weeks and was able to get past the fiasco. Lost 15-20 heads of euphyllia; not to the dipping process, but to the flatworms. As others noted, they will lay eggs on and IN the skeleton of the euphyllia they attach to. So, to combat that, I cut off the dead/dying heads to keep them at bay.
Repeated dipping and scraping the eggs is the only thing that worked. I did add a 6 line wrasse that helped along the way.
There is no easy process... dip, scrape, repeat every 5-7 days.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on another reefing forum and they indicated that fenbendazol (dog pills as they put it). Is that something that would address these little buggers?

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure... you may want to try it as a dip as opposed to treating the tank.
May be worth risking a receding torch to see if it works...

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the waminoa variety for years. I've tried basically every fish mentioned and none worked. Flatworm Exit had no effect. Dipping works but I can't dip the whole tank. I do want to try lanthanum. That sounds promising.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the waminoa variety for years. I've tried basically every fish mentioned and none worked. Flatworm Exit had no effect. Dipping works but I can't dip the whole tank. I do want to try lanthanum. That sounds promising.
I prepare a dip 20 mL Bayer per cup of water and dip for 20 minutes. It’s a little bit more than the usual 15 minutes but the Bayer is very gentle on the corals. Then I dip in Reef Dip iodine-based for another 20 minutes. Then in untreated tank water for 5 to 10 minutes to rinse. Let me know if you have any questions

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back