Eel advice/help

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I’m definitely on the fence with the Porc so it may be one of those situations where I add some of the more essential fish and play it by ear. I totally hear you on the nipping and size. It’s helpful to hear my more cautious side may be right in this.

And I’d love to grow the fish together. My LFS has told me if I am interested they are going to locate a small Zebra and small banana, so to your point I will stay on top of size. Definitely sounds like the banana should be small comparable to the Zebra to start, and as much as I can tank raise a juvenile the better. :)

Because of the porc puffers tendency of nastiness, I failed to mention, puffers normally don't fare well with fang tooth eels. Although the porc can puff up with spines, the eel can still take nasty bites of the tail if they don't just gut them. I think because of their swim style, the way they wave their tails around, and their annoying attitude; the fang tooth eels usually dispatch them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of the porc puffers tendency of nastiness, I failed to mention, puffers normally don't fare well with fang tooth eels. Although the porc can puff up with spines, the eel can still take nasty bites of the tail if they don't just gut them. I think because of their swim style, the way they wave their tails around, and their annoying attitude; the fang tooth eels usually dispatch them.
Yikes. Okay sounds like it may be a choice between the Porc or the Banana Eel. This level of bluntness I appreciate. Better to read this now than see Mortal Kombat play out in the tank. Thank you!

OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I should just check - does this apply to the round tooth Eels as well with the Porc? Like if my family were really wanting to get a puffer would it be ok with say a Zebra and Chainlink Eel? Or do you think it’s still a bad idea altogether to get a puffer (due to their nipping/nastiness)?

Thanks for all your knowledge on this!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I should just check - does this apply to the round tooth Eels as well with the Porc? Like if my family were really wanting to get a puffer would it be ok with say a Zebra and Chainlink Eel? Or do you think it’s still a bad idea altogether to get a puffer (due to their nipping/nastiness)?

Thanks for all your knowledge on this!
The puffer would be safe from the pebbletooth eels, but I still don't like the nippiness of the porc. Others may give you more favorable opinions of the porc. Same as other reviews, a youngster may be a model citizen, but after a couple of years in a 150g, that porc may take a chunk out of the tail of one your eels, and that chunk turns to a bacterial infection and death. These are just things that I have actually witnessed, many people fail to even keep their fish alive long enough to get to the level of maturity to see some this activity. When people give you opinions; ask what size tank, what size are the fish, and how long did they have them.

OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The puffer would be safe from the pebbletooth eels, but I still don't like the nippiness of the porc. Others may give you more favorable opinions of the porc. Same as other reviews, a youngster may be a model citizen, but after a couple of years in a 150g, that porc may take a chunk out of the tail of one your eels, and that chunk turns to a bacterial infection and death. These are just things that I have actually witnessed, many people fail to even keep their fish alive long enough to get to the level of maturity to see some this activity. When people give you opinions; ask what size tank, what size are the fish, and how long did they have them.
Perfect this was the exact info I needed. Thank you!

OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up on this thread, an update and some questions for @lion king (but also any other opinions welcome)! I know my stocking options are limited in my 150g so want to make smart choices for my fish and tank.

I’m having my LFS drop off a small zebra and small banana eel Monday (so excited)! I read everything I could find on reef2reef and no copper per the advice of @lion king on other threads.

Beyond my current stock list, curious what you think would work well to add to my 150g after?

CURRENT RESIDENTS:
2 larger sized Blood orange Hybrid Clownfish (starter fish)
One Spot Foxface Rabbitfish

ARRIVING MONDAY:
Banana eel
Zebra eel

CONSIDERATIONS FOR FUTURE ADDITIONS BASED ON READING REEF2REEF:
Nassarius snails to help clean?
Cleaner Wrasse?
Harlequin Tusk Wrasse?
Picasso triggerfish?
Dogface puffer?
1 or 2 Tangs to add last (I like the purple tang/white tail bristle tang/gem tang as options)?

Anything in that list you would say no to? Any additional fish you’d recommend? Is a Dogface Puffer a mistake with 2 eels (not sure if it has the same issues listed above as the Porc)?

Would love any thoughts. Thanks!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up on this thread, an update and some questions for @lion king (but also any other opinions welcome)! I know my stocking options are limited in my 150g so want to make smart choices for my fish and tank.

I’m having my LFS drop off a small zebra and small banana eel Monday (so excited)! I read everything I could find on reef2reef and no copper per the advice of @lion king on other threads.

Beyond my current stock list, curious what you think would work well to add to my 150g after?

CURRENT RESIDENTS:
2 larger sized Blood orange Hybrid Clownfish (starter fish)
One Spot Foxface Rabbitfish

ARRIVING MONDAY:
Banana eel
Zebra eel

CONSIDERATIONS FOR FUTURE ADDITIONS BASED ON READING REEF2REEF:
Nassarius snails to help clean?
Cleaner Wrasse?
Harlequin Tusk Wrasse?
Picasso triggerfish?
Dogface puffer?
1 or 2 Tangs to add last (I like the purple tang/white tail bristle tang/gem tang as options)?

Anything in that list you would say no to? Any additional fish you’d recommend? Is a Dogface Puffer a mistake with 2 eels (not sure if it has the same issues listed above as the Porc)?

Would love any thoughts. Thanks!

I am going to give you an analysis and then you can decide your risk vs reward. The zebra eel will become a very large eel but is a great gets along with everyone eel. The banana eel is a mild tempered small fang tooth eel, but is a fang tooth and has the capability to rip and tear. The 150g is at the low end for a fang tooth eel, mainly because it limits the choice is other tank mates.

Tank mates for the banana should be tough, quick and elusive, and large and broad enough not to be easily grabbed. The onespot and picasso are the perfect type of mate, carefully sized. The clowns likely won't last and neither would the cleaner wrasse. I'm not a big fan of any wrasses with the fang tooths, and that would also include the HT. The HT is tough looking fish, and can be brutal with other wrasses, but are really wimpy fish. The body shape and habits of the wrasses make them frequent victims of a fang tooth eel. That may also be said for the puffer, puffers also tend to meet their end with fang tooth eels. Possibly because they are slow and frumpy, and they will not fight back. I like the attitude of the purple tang but the size is borderline, same with the gem, but the white tail may be a bit more of a risk. No absolutes just a different perspective for you to consider.

Nasarrius snails are great additions to an eel's tank. Check out a small grouper like a v-tail, the miniatus may need something larger. In a 150g it will be a challenge and you'll likely have to bend the rules a bit. Make sure not to overstock.

Not only are eels sensitive to copper, there is just no need to expose them to it. They are very resistant to protozoan diseases and eels very rarely if ever would transfer a protazoan to the display. If overly concerned do an extended observation or the ttm.

OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to give you an analysis and then you can decide your risk vs reward. The zebra eel will become a very large eel but is a great gets along with everyone eel. The banana eel is a mild tempered small fang tooth eel, but is a fang tooth and has the capability to rip and tear. The 150g is at the low end for a fang tooth eel, mainly because it limits the choice is other tank mates.

Tank mates for the banana should be tough, quick and elusive, and large and broad enough not to be easily grabbed. The onespot and picasso are the perfect type of mate, carefully sized. The clowns likely won't last and neither would the cleaner wrasse. I'm not a big fan of any wrasses with the fang tooths, and that would also include the HT. The HT is tough looking fish, and can be brutal with other wrasses, but are really wimpy fish. The body shape and habits of the wrasses make them frequent victims of a fang tooth eel. That may also be said for the puffer, puffers also tend to meet their end with fang tooth eels. Possibly because they are slow and frumpy, and they will not fight back. I like the attitude of the purple tang but the size is borderline, same with the gem, but the white tail may be a bit more of a risk. No absolutes just a different perspective for you to consider.

Nasarrius snails are great additions to an eel's tank. Check out a small grouper like a v-tail, the miniatus may need something larger. In a 150g it will be a challenge and you'll likely have to bend the rules a bit. Make sure not to overstock.

Not only are eels sensitive to copper, there is just no need to expose them to it. They are very resistant to protozoan diseases and eels very rarely if ever would transfer a protazoan to the display. If overly concerned do an extended observation or the ttm.
Thank you so much as always, @lion king! In a sea of fish stores and folks who are fine with their fish getting eaten, hearing what WON'T work is rather rare and appreciated.

I had seen so many videos of tanks online with fang tooth eels and Harlequin Tusks that I thought it was fine. But then I dug a bit further after your message and read that larger Eels regularly hunt these fish in the wild.

Same with the Puffers. It seems a lot of tanks have both fang tooth Eels and Puffers (even the public aquarium I went to this past weekend had a Green Moray and a Porc), but I checked a Puffer forum after your message and sure enough they all said Eels and Puffers long term almost never work out. Did you have your Dogface in your tank with an Eel by any chance (and if so did you see anything troubling)?

I've mentally prepared my kids about the two clownfish we have. You never know (especially as these are larger growing ones), but won't be surprised if they disappear one day.

Based on what you wrote, the Picasso Trigger, Purple Tang and Gem Tang seem possible. Do you think all could work together?

The Grouper you suggested looks cool, but wow I'm worried about that monster when it reaches full size. Seems like a bruiser that could hurt even the foxface, no?

Thanks so much again!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much as always, @lion king! In a sea of fish stores and folks who are fine with their fish getting eaten, hearing what WON'T work is rather rare and appreciated.

I had seen so many videos of tanks online with fang tooth eels and Harlequin Tusks that I thought it was fine. But then I dug a bit further after your message and read that larger Eels regularly hunt these fish in the wild.

Same with the Puffers. It seems a lot of tanks have both fang tooth Eels and Puffers (even the public aquarium I went to this past weekend had a Green Moray and a Porc), but I checked a Puffer forum after your message and sure enough they all said Eels and Puffers long term almost never work out. Did you have your Dogface in your tank with an Eel by any chance (and if so did you see anything troubling)?

I've mentally prepared my kids about the two clownfish we have. You never know (especially as these are larger growing ones), but won't be surprised if they disappear one day.

Based on what you wrote, the Picasso Trigger, Purple Tang and Gem Tang seem possible. Do you think all could work together?

The Grouper you suggested looks cool, but wow I'm worried about that monster when it reaches full size. Seems like a bruiser that could hurt even the foxface, no?

Thanks so much again!

Tank size most importantly for the home aquarist, but there are other variables as well which takes alot more detail. You can't base your plans on a public aquarium, and I hate to break to you, some don't care about their fish being eaten or maimed either. And the one spot, you'll have to figure out the logistics if the purple and gem will get along. Did you look at the v-tail, I thought those stayed smaller, they will reach about 2/3rds their max and if you research a bit you'll find the common size to be smaller

EDIT: check out a small trigger like an Indian black, there are 2 black triggers tge other is quite large, I think the small one is M. indicus. The niger will get to a full 12" so maybe too large for a 150.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size most importantly for the home aquarist, but there are other variables as well which takes alot more detail. You can't base your plans on a public aquarium, and I hate to break to you, some don't care about their fish being eaten or maimed either. And the one spot, you'll have to figure out the logistics if the purple and gem will get along. Did you look at the v-tail, I thought those stayed smaller, they will reach about 2/3rds their max and if you research a bit you'll find the common size to be smaller
Thanks again! I will look into the logistics of the two tangs.

For the V Tail I did do some homework. I read they still get up to a foot, which isn't as big as other Groupers but for such an aggressive fish not sure if it would be a problem for the others (tangs, foxface)? Have you had any experience with groupers? I've heard from some they are monsters but have heard from others they act like puppies. With their looks, they remind me of bulldogs haha. I'm all for fish with personality so would strongly consider one if you have liked the experience and would recommend it.

OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EDIT: check out a small trigger like an Indian black, there are 2 black triggers tge other is quite large, I think the small one is M. indicus. The niger will get to a full 12" so maybe too large for a 150.
Also, do you recommend Hamlets with Eels? I just read those are a small species of Grouper so not sure if they would hold their own at a size that would be less than the V-tail?

OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I forgot about the porc puffer, not a big fan, so my response may be biased. They are notorious nippers, and can be very aggressive when mature; the 150g is really on the small side of the best sized tank for them.

I personally like growing up fish together. The zebra eel is really going to be no problem, but finding a small banana eel may be, they generally come in at a larger size. Has your lfs brought in the banana eel before, what size have they been able to get in. Stocking order is tricky either way because of possible territorial disputes. I think your decisions are going to be fluid depending on what is available.

The smaller the banana you can find, the better; aggressive fish tank raised always end up with a better disposition.
Update: I just checked out the Eels at the fish store. So cute and tiny! They did a good job of sourcing a very little Banana Eel and the (also small) Zebra was hanging with him the whole time like a big brother.

@lion king I’m hooked! Absolutely love these little guys. Thanks so much again for all your helpful advice. A few more quick possible tankmate questions: Regal/Majestic Angel and/or Green Bird Wrasse? Not sure if the Regal or Majestic Angel is a big enough Angelfish (and wouldn’t be nippy) and if the Bird Wrasse would be fast/hardy enough? Would love your thoughts.

Here are the little guys. They are putting them in my tank after the weekend:

03B76BC0-4D19-4932-B5F3-FF225763EDB4.jpeg

7F7D8671-B77B-4A5E-8815-ED8AE01D929F.jpeg

CF5C268D-1414-499B-8B91-E8CFE9E93822.jpeg

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I just checked out the Eels at the fish store. So cute and tiny! They did a good job of sourcing a very little Banana Eel and the (also small) Zebra was hanging with him the whole time like a big brother.

@lion king I’m hooked! Absolutely love these little guys. Thanks so much again for all your helpful advice. A few more quick possible tankmate questions: Regal/Majestic Angel and/or Green Bird Wrasse? Not sure if the Regal or Majestic Angel is a big enough Angelfish (and wouldn’t be nippy) and if the Bird Wrasse would be fast/hardy enough? Would love your thoughts.

Here are the little guys. They are putting them in my tank after the weekend:

03B76BC0-4D19-4932-B5F3-FF225763EDB4.jpeg

7F7D8671-B77B-4A5E-8815-ED8AE01D929F.jpeg

CF5C268D-1414-499B-8B91-E8CFE9E93822.jpeg

Wow, nice looking eels! That little guy has a real chance to become a "model citizen" as they say, I don't use that term because I believe in nature, and a fang tooth eel needs careful considerations. But the banana's usually do come in at a larger size and getting a small one is a real bonus, as they will have a chance at being tamer. I would be a bit concerned with the majestic, I had one for almost 10 years until I recently gave him away. They tend to be on the small side and definitely not tough like other large angels, do some research on them as many have a hard time keeping them long term. Regal angels can be challenging as well, I have never kept one, I would check into their temperament. I've just found for long term success with a fang tooth, fish do need to have a bit of an attitude. That green bird wrasse is fast, one reason I think wrasses don't do well with fang tooths is that the eel finds out where they sleep and take them down that way.

OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, thanks so much for the advice and the kind words! I’ll keep you posted on how it all goes.

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumbled on this thread and figured I'd give my .02. fwiw I currently have a tesselata, yellow edged, and japanese dragon moray all living pretty happily in reef tanks.

I skimmed most posts, so apologies if I missed anything. But my recommendation to people getting eels is that the safest fish are the smallest/fastest ones. To a larger eel a chromis just isn't worth hunting, assuming they can even spot them as most eels have horrible vision. Even something like a firefish is great. I have a few that literally hang out right in front of my dragon moray's mouth all day long. I'm not even sure he sees them. IMO halichoeres wrasses are ideal as well as they're quick, smart, and sleep in the sand.

Having said that, each eel is unique, especially with the fang-tooth morays. I tried to put a large clown trigger with my tesselata and the eel went after it immediately. Smaller fish he doesn't pay any mind to. On the other hand my old Japanese Dragon would go after even tiny fish at night just for the sport of it I think.

You made good safe choices though and I think you'll have success. Just keep them well fed and give them lots of hiding spaces. Hard to tell from the pics you posted so far, but I'm assuming that's a quarantine tank? Some PVC would be nice to help them relax and have their own space to hide and/or escape each other.

Either way, beautiful eels. Wish you the best of luck. Also, not sure if this is breaking any forum rules, but if you're on Reddit join us and post an intro on r/MarineEels

edit: I just realized we're neighbors. Where are the eels? If that's Absolutely then I'm afraid to ask how much you're paying for the banana.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumbled on this thread and figured I'd give my .02. fwiw I currently have a tesselata, yellow edged, and japanese dragon moray all living pretty happily in reef tanks.

I skimmed most posts, so apologies if I missed anything. But my recommendation to people getting eels is that the safest fish are the smallest/fastest ones. To a larger eel a chromis just isn't worth hunting, assuming they can even spot them as most eels have horrible vision. Even something like a firefish is great. I have a few that literally hang out right in front of my dragon moray's mouth all day long. I'm not even sure he sees them. IMO halichoeres wrasses are ideal as well as they're quick, smart, and sleep in the sand.

Having said that, each eel is unique, especially with the fang-tooth morays. I tried to put a large clown trigger with my tesselata and the eel went after it immediately. Smaller fish he doesn't pay any mind to. On the other hand my old Japanese Dragon would go after even tiny fish at night just for the sport of it I think.

You made good safe choices though and I think you'll have success. Just keep them well fed and give them lots of hiding spaces. Hard to tell from the pics you posted so far, but I'm assuming that's a quarantine tank? Some PVC would be nice to help them relax and have their own space to hide and/or escape each other.

Either way, beautiful eels. Wish you the best of luck. Also, not sure if this is breaking any forum rules, but if you're on Reddit join us and post an intro on r/MarineEels

edit: I just realized we're neighbors. Where are the eels? If that's Absolutely then I'm afraid to ask how much you're paying for the banana.
Hey! We are neighbors and that IS Absolutely in the photos above. My tank photos are in this post I’m currently writing in. They were only at the store for 3 days before they went in my tank since I ordered them. Nice to meet you

My setup looks like this right now. Tons of hiding spots as I put it together with the Eels in mind first and foremost. They love it so far.

I’m a week in and so far the Eels are hilariously different. The Zebra is SUPER extroverted and as soon as we put algae pellets in the water for the other fish he goes full Godzilla mode and demands food. He goes nuts, stretching all over and even bites rock and blowers on the tank since his eyesight is so bad. He eats a ton and wants food every day…so I’m exercising some tough love on every other day to avoid over feeding him. At dusk he goes into “subway mode” and zooms around the tank happily. He is my family’s favorite creature in the tank.

The banana is a lot more shy, mainly because he is so little. The foxface we have keeps swimming up to him and pressing his body against him, almost saying, “Bite me, I dare you.” He opens his mouth and tries to act aggressive but is so small he can't eat anyone. I'm laughing my butt off at this small eel because when a fish comes by he opens his little mouth and is like "Rawr! I am a monster of the deep!" And the fish just glance at him and are like F off.

So far they are rarely apart and have found a corner of the tank to sleep in together.

Thanks so much for your insight on the small fast fish. I’ve noticed the Zebra won’t hurt anyone but he gets so amped up at feeding time that I do worry his poor eyesight may wind up with something getting eaten accidentally. The little guy is so timid right now there isn’t any concern, and his mouth won’t be able to fit any of the fish we have so far.

Really pumped to see them as they grow up.

928090B2-7577-49C7-9874-37120CFB0E34.jpeg
5A199533-9D6A-4407-9FEA-01E4F5AF56E5.jpeg
F2CDCAE1-96DD-4187-A823-735DB4B80DA3.jpeg

F0AAF8F9-F9FD-45A9-8E2A-1F3D53AE7129.jpeg

D2FE200B-886F-4ADE-A397-A2A35C074C1D.jpeg

Last edited:

Saltwater2370

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fionce has a snowflake eel and he is getting pretty big pretty fast, he’s in another tank. His thickness is getting a lot bigger with time. He also has a 24” tesallata eel with massive teeth I’ll attach a pic even though I know you are not looking for something too aggressive but he is currently housed in a 150 with only 2 giant sized clowns (pair). They stay out of each other’s way.

Attachments

• 9D1137CF-85D2-4EF9-AE38-4414BF39EB7E.png
    9D1137CF-85D2-4EF9-AE38-4414BF39EB7E.png
    567.2 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those teeth are awesome!

Update: Zebra and Banana are doing wonderful. Both are super happy and are getting chunkier. Neither bothers any of their tankmates, but the banana definitely opens his mouth to do a “SCRAM!” with any of the faster fish that get in his face. He seems to dislike the hyper fish and is very chill and friendly with the slower ones.

The Zebra is the leviathan from the deep because when he comes out to eat the whole tank gets out of his way. The banana is out more often during the day and is always watching everyone. Safe to say I’m an Eel owning lifer.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back