Eel advice/help

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I’m getting a 150g, 6-foot saltwater tank setup and more than anything love Eels (hence the screen name). Since I would like to have a few other fish in the tank I’m narrowing my search down to the less aggressive types, and would like 2 Eels in the tank ideally.

If I wanted to get two of the four of these, which would you recommend and why? Any advice would be insanely helpful as I want to build the tank with the Eels first:

Zebra Eel
Banana Eel
Goldentail Eel
Jeweled Eel

-And I’m happy to get two of the same if that is best. Very open at the moment. I prefer the “chunkier” Eels, so not wanting a Snowflake.

Thanks so much in advance!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a guy in San Diego county who has a bulletproof Zebra eel that he needs to rehome. Not sure if he ships?

OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a guy in San Diego county who has a bulletproof Zebra eel that he needs to rehome. Not sure if he ships?
Thank you for your reply! I keep hearing how good Zebras are. I’m not sure if 150g + 6ft would be too small for a Zebra with another eel and some fish? A zebra eel and a banana eel would be my dream setup, but trying to be smart before buying anything.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply! I keep hearing how good Zebras are. I’m not sure if 150g + 6ft would be too small for a Zebra with another eel and some fish? A zebra eel and a banana eel would be my dream setup, but trying to be smart before buying anything.
Of course they want a pool in the backyard for habitat, ( just like my wife!)
Mike’s eel is happy with 1/2 of a one fifty, the other half has a reef in it and he’s excluded from the reef because he knocks things around.

OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course they want a pool in the backyard for habitat, ( just like my wife!)
Mike’s eel is happy with 1/2 of a one fifty, the other half has a reef in it and he’s excluded from the reef because he knocks things around.
Very cool to hear. I hear Zebra eels are shy, clumsy and large so the knocking things over part makes sense.

-and lol at the pool comment! My wife is the same.

My LFS says a Zebra, Goldentail and Banana should all fit…but to me this sounds like too much and a store trying to get me to buy a lot. The internet also is full of various “Zebras need 300 gallons” and “I have two Zebras in my 65 gallon and they are happy”…it can make someone’s head spin!

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels don't require a great deal of space. They are happy as long as they can stretch out and swim, they have a good diet, and they have a cave system that gives them good habitat. The problem is really with their bioload. Eels eat a lot of meaty foods, and one medium eel (24") will produce more waste than a half-dozen smaller fish. I'd stick to the zebra eel and the banana if you want to also have some other inhabitants. Keep in mind that the banana eel is a fang-tooth and will eat smaller fish, and both may eat invertebrates. @lion king is more knowledgeable than me though, and can probably help you more. Good luck!

OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels don't require a great deal of space. They are happy as long as they can stretch out and swim, they have a good diet, and they have a cave system that gives them good habitat. The problem is really with their bioload. Eels eat a lot of meaty foods, and one medium eel (24") will produce more waste than a half-dozen smaller fish. I'd stick to the zebra eel and the banana if you want to also have some other inhabitants. Keep in mind that the banana eel is a fang-tooth and will eat smaller fish, and both may eat invertebrates. @lion king is more knowledgeable than me though, and can probably help you more. Good luck!
Thank you! This is incredibly helpful. Really loving how informative you all are on this site. :)

I’m envisioning only medium to big sized fish and only a handful, so Banana should be ok with those. I was considering a Porcupine Fish as well at one point but have heard recently how sloppy they are at eating (and love to eat cleaner shrimp so have to imagine that would ratchet the bioload up even more). Thinking adding one of those plus two eels is too much?

Really surprised and elated it seems like my tank could accommodate a Zebra and Banana eel (unless anyone else disagrees).

A setup like this would be my dream tank. Not sure if this bioload is too much, our you would recommend losing any of these?

Clarky clownfish and blue damsels to prep the tank (may get eaten)
Banana Eel
Zebra Eel
Clown filefish
Blue hippo tang
Longfin Bannerfish
Harlequin Wrasse
Cleaner shrimp

And this assumes a Porcupine Fish would be too much but not sure.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! So by far the safest eel there is the zebra as it is an invert eater. So not safe for your cleaner shrimp but otherwise a great and peaceful eel .
The next two are gymnotherax eels which are the fish eaters which are liable to eat any fish it can fit in their mouths
Finnaly the jeweled is an eel of the Muraena which are also fish eaters and known for being aggressive.

Thank you! This is incredibly helpful. Really loving how informative you all are on this site. :)

I’m envisioning only medium to big sized fish and only a handful, so Banana should be ok with those. I was considering a Porcupine Fish as well at one point but have heard recently how sloppy they are at eating (and love to eat cleaner shrimp so have to imagine that would ratchet the bioload up even more). Thinking adding one of those plus two eels is too much?

Really surprised and elated it seems like my tank could accommodate a Zebra and Banana eel (unless anyone else disagrees).

A setup like this would be my dream tank. Not sure if this bioload is too much, our you would recommend losing any of these?

Clarky clownfish and blue damsels to prep the tank (may get eaten)
Banana Eel
Zebra Eel
Clown filefish
Blue hippo tang
Longfin Bannerfish
Harlequin Wrasse
Cleaner shrimp

And this assumes a Porcupine Fish would be too much but not sure.
With this fish list I worry for the shrimp mostly but also for the other fish if they are smaller. The two eels will hopefully get along but not necessarily. My two morays didn't but my 3 currently do (1 moray and 2 snakes). If I may make a suggestion how about some adult engineer gobies if you like thick eel like fish.

Finally I'm a little confused by the snowflake comment. Echidnas like the snowflake can get as thick as other morays and are far safer then gymnotherax eels for fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! So by far the safest eel there is the zebra as it is an invert eater. So not safe for your cleaner shrimp but otherwise a great and peaceful eel .
The next two are gymnotherax eels which are the fish eaters which are liable to eat any fish it can fit in their mouths
Finnaly the jeweled is an eel of the Muraena which are also fish eaters and known for being aggressive.

With this fish list I worry for the shrimp mostly but also for the other fish if they are smaller. The two eels will hopefully get along but not necessarily. My two morays didn't but my 3 currently do (1 moray and 2 snakes). If I may make a suggestion how about some adult engineer gobies if you like thick eel like fish.

Finally I'm a little confused by the snowflake comment. Echidnas like the snowflake can get as thick as other morays and are far safer then gymnotherax eels for fish.
Super informative about the Eels! Thank you for steering me away from the Jeweled Moray. I couldn’t tell if it was more aggressive based on the websites I searched so this is great.

Regarding the shrimp I may try one to see as I have heard many with Zebra and Banana eels say their Eels loved them and didn’t eat them and to test the waters. I’m totally ok to go without though.

For the snowflake I had no idea they got that thick (so kindly chalk it up to inexperience on my part). All of the ones I have seen in that class seemed thin and a bit snake-like (same with the chainlink and Skeletor), but perhaps I had only seen juveniles.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I think I was a bit harsh on your list. It is a good list with a good chance of it working. With the exception of the clown/damsel as you said.

And yes the echidnas do gain their weight later on than the other morays. You are right. Mines still fairly small at a foot but is staring to get fatter. My smaller chainlink was quite chunky but I had to sell it as the Snow was beating it up.
IMG_2288.jpeg

IMG_4951.jpeg

As for aggression I'd imagine the banana and zebra would be fine but I have seen gymnotherax eat other eels so make sure the zebra is the same size or bigger. Also why I wouldn't get an echidna and a gymnotherax.

Also here's my chunkiest if you want something outside the norm (well chunky for a snake):
IMG_4921.jpeg

OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I think I was a bit harsh on your list. It is a good list with a good chance of it working. With the exception of the clown/damsel as you said.

And yes the echidnas do gain their weight later on than the other morays. You are right. Mines still fairly small at a foot but is staring to get fatter. My smaller chainlink was quite chunky but I had to sell it as the Snow was beating it up.
IMG_2288.jpeg

IMG_4951.jpeg

As for aggression I'd imagine the banana and zebra would be fine but I have seen gymnotherax eat other eels so make sure the zebra is the same size or bigger. Also why I wouldn't get an echidna and a gymnotherax.

Also here's my chunkiest if you want something outside the norm (well chunky for a snake):
IMG_4921.jpeg
Wow this is AWESOME! Your Eels are great looking, and you are right- thicker than I thought (in a good way)! Thank you for sharing.

Do you think adding a Porcupine Fish into the group I added above is asking for trouble? I’ve heard mixed things about them being nippy and creating a ton of waste but my kids really want one and they are adorable so I’m doing due diligence. And apologies for all of the added questions but the knowledge is helping me more than a zillion pet store trips or internet searches right now. :)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm. It definitely could work but my only knowledge is a YouTuber who tried adding snowflakes to his puffers tank. It did not work. In my opinion he did not have enough rocks for the eels and should not have added the eels to a tank with an established large puffers tank.
They are cute and I am also being pressured to do the same. The issue is that beak packs a punch.

OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm. It definitely could work but my only knowledge is a YouTuber who tried adding snowflakes to his puffers tank. It did not work. In my opinion he did not have enough rocks for the eels and should not have added the eels to a tank with an established large puffers tank.
They are cute and I am also being pressured to do the same. The issue is that beak packs a punch.
Oh wow great observation. The big thing I am learning in these posts is that size matters, especially when introducing to a tank.

My LFS has a porcupine in with a Zebra and they seem to be fine friends…but to your point the porc is like 2” big. Seems like a tiny Porc will be the choice if it does come to pass.

It made my new years to hear my fish choices could work, so thank you. Have been trying to be smart about this as we really will be seeing these as part of the family. The starter fish I’ll mentally prepare my kids for losing but will aim for the biggest clowns (and the smallest Eels) I can find!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my recommendations are based for long term success, rather than recommendations, some comments to help you consider your choices. The zebra eel is a mild pebbletooth eel that gets along with pretty much any fish, they usually don't even eat fish they can swallow with one gulp, but they are a huge eel. The other 3 are fang tooth eels, it will be tough to get fish appropriate for a 150g to be safe with these eels. The banana and goldentail are different color morphs of the same species and although on the milder side of fang tooths, are still a handful when mature. The jeweled is also a wonderful eel but again, when mature, can be a handful. I have seen these eels take down hippos, a kind of wimpy tang not really tough enough to hang with these bad boys. The HT would be a big risk with these eels also, even though these can seem aggressive towards other wrasses, they really don't have the attitude to hang with these guys, they also have an appetizing body style for fang tooth eels. The longfin bannerfish are way too wimpy for these eels. The clown filefish is exactly the kind of the fish that can hang with these eels, honestly if choosing one of the fang tooth eels, it will be very challenging to find safe fish choices in a 150g. I would usually recommend triggers(not an xanthichthys species), large angels, tough thick bodied tangs, groupers; at least semi aggressive fish with attitude on the larger side. Cleaner shrimp usually only last for a short time with most eels.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my recommendations are based for long term success, rather than recommendations, some comments to help you consider your choices. The zebra eel is a mild pebbletooth eel that gets along with pretty much any fish, they usually don't even eat fish they can swallow with one gulp, but they are a huge eel. The other 3 are fang tooth eels, it will be tough to get fish appropriate for a 150g to be safe with these eels. The banana and goldentail are different color morphs of the same species and although on the milder side of fang tooths, are still a handful when mature. The jeweled is also a wonderful eel but again, when mature, can be a handful. I have seen these eels take down hippos, a kind of wimpy tang not really tough enough to hang with these bad boys. The HT would be a big risk with these eels also, even though these can seem aggressive towards other wrasses, they really don't have the attitude to hang with these guys, they also have an appetizing body style for fang tooth eels. The longfin bannerfish are way too wimpy for these eels. The clown filefish is exactly the kind of the fish that can hang with these eels, honestly if choosing one of the fang tooth eels, it will be very challenging to find safe fish choices in a 150g. I would usually recommend triggers(not an xanthichthys species), large angels, tough thick bodied tangs, groupers; at least semi aggressive fish with attitude on the larger side. Cleaner shrimp usually only last for a short time with most eels.
Interesting. I should have thought of the bannerfish being skittish. I hadn't thought of blue hippos being bad with eels though. Learn something every time.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I should have thought of that with the bannerfish. I hadn't thought of blue hippos being bad with eels though. Learn something every time.

I watched a dragon eel grab a huge hippo right in front of me and drag and roll him in behind the rocks, and this was in like a 400g tank. In a 150g the space becomes much more compacted for fang tooth eels and fish. If the fish have enough attitude, they may survive. I know the difference in 150g and 180g doesn't seem like much, but it does give different options in fish that are a little larger and little more aggressive. Elusive, attitude, and fast are some of attributes needed for fish hanging with the fang tooths. The HT is a fast elusive fish, but will be shy against an aggressive eel, and you will likely never see this beautiful expensive fish in they survive. The bannerfish are floaty wimpy banners that just scream, eat me. You'll find people reporting success with juveniles, but you will rarely find this success after a couple of years.

OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you for this insight. This is exactly the kind of input largely absent from the web - what happens over time with mature specimens. Especially helpful because I want to hopefully have these fish for years and years. I read about so many eels having trouble with bully tangs, never thinking about what happens when those Eels get older and the tables are turned.

OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick follow up: when you say it would be better to get “triggers(not an xanthichthys species), large angels, tough thick bodied tangs, groupers”…are those fish safe to have when the Eels are juvenile? Assuming I get a young Zebra and Banana Eel, would they be bullied/bothered to an unhealthy point when young and I should wait on stocking my tank with those or is it generally okay due to Eels being more durable? Also do Porcupine fish fit into this mix due to their defense mechanisms?

My goal is to learn as much as humanly possible now to try to mitigate mistakes when the tank is up and running. Thanks!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick follow up: when you say it would be better to get “triggers(not an xanthichthys species), large angels, tough thick bodied tangs, groupers”…are those fish safe to have when the Eels are juvenile? Assuming I get a young Zebra and Banana Eel, would they be bullied/bothered to an unhealthy point when young and I should wait on stocking my tank with those or is it generally okay due to Eels being more durable? Also do Porcupine fish fit into this mix due to their defense mechanisms?

My goal is to learn as much as humanly possible now to try to mitigate mistakes when the tank is up and running. Thanks!

Oh I forgot about the porc puffer, not a big fan, so my response may be biased. They are notorious nippers, and can be very aggressive when mature; the 150g is really on the small side of the best sized tank for them.

I personally like growing up fish together. The zebra eel is really going to be no problem, but finding a small banana eel may be, they generally come in at a larger size. Has your lfs brought in the banana eel before, what size have they been able to get in. Stocking order is tricky either way because of possible territorial disputes. I think your decisions are going to be fluid depending on what is available.

The smaller the banana you can find, the better; aggressive fish tank raised always end up with a better disposition.

OP
OP
Go The Eels

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I forgot about the porc puffer, not a big fan, so my response may be biased. They are notorious nippers, and can be very aggressive when mature; the 150g is really on the small side of the best sized tank for them.

I personally like growing up fish together. The zebra eel is really going to be no problem, but finding a small banana eel may be, they generally come in at a larger size. Has your lfs brought in the banana eel before, what size have they been able to get in. Stocking order is tricky either way because of possible territorial disputes. I think your decisions are going to be fluid depending on what is available.

The smaller the banana you can find, the better; aggressive fish tank raised always end up with a better disposition.
Thank you! I’m definitely on the fence with the Porc so it may be one of those situations where I add some of the more essential fish and play it by ear. I totally hear you on the nipping and size. It’s helpful to hear my more cautious side may be right in this.

And I’d love to grow the fish together. My LFS has told me if I am interested they are going to locate a small Zebra and small banana, so to your point I will stay on top of size. Definitely sounds like the banana should be small comparable to the Zebra to start, and as much as I can tank raise a juvenile the better. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back