Eel Compatability

  • Thread starter Thread starter Goodair
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 15, 2019
Messages
1,049
Reaction score
1,181
Location
South River, NJ
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to have 2 eels in the same tank, specifically a snowflake and a zebra. They would be introduced at diffetent time spans.
 
90, would be upgraded in the future. Id start with small eels. I have a bunch of caves, bought pvc to make more.
 
Possibly, if you can make intricate cave systems with pvc that are clearly separated. Lots of rock. You'll need heavy filtration, they're messy
 
My filtration has been keeping nutrients very low, skimmer, macros etc. I might need to add an extra powerhead to keep the substrate kicked up if alot of detris builds up.
 
I’ve had a snowflake in my reef, for about a year... every time I see it, I take its picture... I have about 6 pictures!
This is how I feel about my Engineer Goby...not REALLY an eel but apparently acts like one!
 
I had that problem with a foxface, he would hide all day, peeking throguh some crevice waiting to come out, lol.
 
Yeah they'll get along. Bioload is going to be massive if you don't get a really big tank
 
Those 2 usually work well together but I wouldn't put a zebra in a 90g, at least a 6 foot tank. I don't think I have ever seen a zebra much smaller than 30", maybe 24" and 1.5" diameter; that's bringing home size. He'll be longer than the 90g in a year's time. The only complaint I;ve ever heard is they can be destructive on your corals, if it's a reef. You just have to chart his traveling path and place your corals accordingly. And yeah they eat and are messy; so a refugium, scrubber, or even dosing nopox will help,
 
Possibly, if you can make intricate cave systems with pvc that are clearly separated. Lots of rock. You'll need heavy filtration, they're messy

Maybe they'll become denmates? It's not unheard of ;)
 
20191016_163245.jpg


This is my zebra just before I brought him home. The snowflake is still there, I might go back and get it.
 
I have a snowflake and smaller banded together in my 120g and they don't bother each other. The banded is slightly more reclusive though, he keeps to his specific rock and rarely ventures out far.
 
I have a snowflake, a zebra, and just recently added a yellow headed moray. They are tangled up together all the time. No problems, so far. They are currently in a 125, but I imagine they will have to be relocated at some point. The snowflake and the zebra are close to 24" long now. The new eel is only about 14". They tend to stay hidden, until dark, or feeding time, and they definitely rearrange the rockwork. It is difficult to get good photos of their majesty, but I will try.
 
I have a snowflake, a zebra, and just recently added a yellow headed moray. They are tangled up together all the time. No problems, so far. They are currently in a 125, but I imagine they will have to be relocated at some point. The snowflake and the zebra are close to 24" long now. The new eel is only about 14". They tend to stay hidden, until dark, or feeding time, and they definitely rearrange the rockwork. It is difficult to get good photos of their majesty, but I will try.

Just watch that yellow head, when he matures they can get quite aggressive.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new