Eel tumor

Snowflake eel lover 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bloat in my eels stomach has gotten worse. I think it’s a tumor. I have not fed him for two weeks and I’m dosing the tank with magnesium to help with digestion. I’m really worried for him and I don’t know what to do. Please help if you can- but I’m not sure there’s anything that can be done. Zoom in to see just how big that lump is :(

IMG_1265.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had looked at the previous thread. The growth is now more pointed. Before, it was more broadly shaped and generalized. It could be an abscess (from the blockage we suspected before) or a tumor. The latter would have grown slowly, over time though. Adding magnesium won't help, seawater is already rich with that ion. That advice is a relic of when aquarists would add magnesium sulfate to treat issues with freshwater fish.

Internal abscesses and blockages cannot really be treated except through surgery...and of course, even veterinarians have difficulty operating on fish.

Sorry - I don't see any solution for this problem.

Jay

OP
OP
S

Snowflake eel lover 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had looked at the previous thread. The growth is now more pointed. Before, it was more broadly shaped and generalized. It could be an abscess (from the blockage we suspected before) or a tumor. The latter would have grown slowly, over time though. Adding magnesium won't help, seawater is already rich with that ion. That advice is a relic of when aquarists would add magnesium sulfate to treat issues with freshwater fish.

Internal abscesses and blockages cannot really be treated except through surgery...and of course, even veterinarians have difficulty operating on fish.

Sorry - I don't see any solution for this problem.

Jay
Darn. Thanks for you knowledge

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back