Effective way to add Fuge to existing sump

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is mostly a google it type of thing but not all systems are one size fits all for answers.

I have two systems I'd like to add a fuge/chaeto to for pod growth and nitrate export (to a lesser extent).

First is a Prostar Rimless 60v2 - I think I know the answer to this based on limited availability of space. Sump is compact or rather on the tall side for this form factor. Would it be acceptable to add a media type basket that hangs internally from the glass at the top of the DT? If so, just toss in some cycled rubble and chaeto?

Second is a 120g with a trigger system sump that was made for Marine Depot but it's hard to find specifics for it other than a demo video from Marine Depot. Drain chamber overflows to two 7 in socks. This flows under to larger compartment that currently houses a Nyos 160 skimmer. There's a bubble trap that flows down, then under into the return compartment. There is an additional compartment that was meant to serve one of two purposes after the return - an 5-7ish gallon ATO or a fuge (has plumbing port for drain line where it would flow up and over back into the return. Replubming and using this as a fuge rather than an ATO reservoir is a hard pass lacking outside space for an ATO reservoir (tank is on a short wall with only ~1 foot of wall space on either side. For this one - would you take a similar approach and add a media basket type assembly into the return compartment with rubble or mud + chaeto? This keeps it after the skimmer.

Thanks! open to any creative ideas here. It's not super necessary but something I'd like to add to both existing systems.

IMG-5053.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first scenario I'd avoid placement in the DT as it's too easy fo chaeto to spread and become an issue.

In the second scenario a refugium reactor might give you a lot of flexibility.

OP
OP
E

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first scenario I'd avoid placement in the DT as it's too easy fo chaeto to spread and become an issue.

In the second scenario a refugium reactor might give you a lot of flexibility.
Any recommended reactors? Brs has a cheaper one with so so reviews, other named brands are more expensive with so so reviews.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would def use a reactor as well.

Idk about the ones on the market, but as an experiment we did a cheap sicce pump usually used for carbon reactors, and had it drain into an acrylic rectangular box with hole on the bottom just over the fuge chamber in our sump with a $20 amazon grow light.

It worked great, but while I think the philosophy of our design would work, i am a very lazy engineer and can be designed much better.

As far as chaeto spread goes, I have somehow had it get into my display with aquamesh in the way. Incredibly easy to remove and wouldn't consider it an issue unless its a hassle to reach anywhere on your tank. We had some out of comfortable reach but it grew super long in 2 days and was then easy to grab.

Ymmv but anything that gives you the space you like, some sort of relaiability in the case of possible overflow from malfunction, and lighting, the chaeto will grow, and the pods will live on.

OP
OP
E

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea for both tanks. I remember reading I on diy using media reactors and led tape lights but I think the downside was the leds over time either melting the outside acrylic or causing it go to opaque

OP
OP
E

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random thought for smaller tank. Can i (if i can find) add a perforated acrylic column/tube to the second filter sock slot and add cheato to that? Again, for this tank it's meant more for a pod haven -tank has a mandarin
IMG-5119.jpg
IMG-5118.jpg

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back