Effects of higher PH?

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the biology and chemistry gurus that understand the relationship between PH, oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, Algaes, and the cycle of life I have a question.

Below is my chart for the last week of PH readings.The jump to 8.53 was this weekend, when I opened all the windows in our house. So, it skyrocketed. I'm not worried about the PH. From my understanding more oxygen equals good things for fish especially but coral calcification should also increase. Alk is steadily at 8 - 8.3, calcium stead at 450, magnesium is on the high side at 1520-1550. (IO salt - this batch seems high in MG. The base salt had an alk of 5 and ca of 350, I didn't check the mg of the new water, but assume that has to be where it's coming from.)

I also cleaned my skimmer pump for the first time in 18 months and my PH also jumped within 24 hours of cleaning it! It probably wasn't doing much!

What are the visible signs one should see in a mixed reef running at higher ph levels?

Will the higher ph affect algaes? diatoms? Cyano? Bryopsis, GHA?

I ask because I have an orange rust covered something covering several of my rocks. I can blow it off with a turkey baster, and within a day it's back. It's not a carpet like Cyano. It seems almost powdery. But it keeps coming back. Thought maybe Planaria, but, I have 4 wrasses, and It never shows up on my glass at night or during the day. It doesn't cover the sand bed at all. Just rocks. Only since my PH has increased. My algae turf scrubber even had the orangeish stuff mixed in with the gha that routinely grows on the scrubber.

Any other things I should be seeing with improved oxygenation?

1587389537733.png

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant answer your questions however I dont see any issues with Ph at 8.3 to 8.5 in my tank.
Alk. 9
Calcium 450
Mag 1475
P04 .08 to .13
Nitrate 4 to 8

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, oxygen and oxygenation does not directly relate to pH. Only CO2 (and alkalinity) impacts pH.

If the daily pH swing is large, that may indicate that oxygen could be low at night, since it suggests inadequate aeration.

Some types of algae (maybe even dinos) may be deterred by high pH because it makes it harder for them to attain CO2 to grow. Others are not because they get CO2 from bicarbonate. i discuss these issues and show data in these articles:

pH And The Reef Aquarium
http://www.reefedition.com/ph-and-the-reef-aquarium/

Problem Dinoflagellates and pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Photosynthesis and the Reef Aquarium, Part I: Carbon Sources by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

The Relationship between Alkalinity and pH

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A higher PH would likely (most frequently) favor Dinoflagellates and usually follow a diatom bloom from what I’ve been reading. A PH of 8.1-8.5 being ideal. Silicates were also reported to make no difference. Diatoms preference was at PH 7.8-7.9. The researchers said that they could usually pinpoint the type of dinoflagellates in the water just by a reading .1 of the PH.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 82 47.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back