Eggs on my Zoas

WereAllNegan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends,
So last night I decided to take a look at my Dragon Eye Zoas after lights out and realized I have what looks like brown eggs of some sort all over them. I remember seeing them when I got the frag a month ago but being new to this hobby (and having poor eye sight) thought it was sand or detritus. Didn't pay much attention to them until I saw 2 tiny worms that resemble millipedes crawling on them last night. After that I got worried and inspected the colony using a magnifying lens, that's when I realized what I thought were sand particles are actually eggs. I've done my research and they're not nudibranch or Snail eggs.

I also came to the conclusion that the worms I saw were a type of Nereis Worm (clam worm). There are many different species varying in size, shape and color but the ones that most resemble what I saw seem to be either a Nereis Pelagica or a Rag Worm. Hard to tell because they're babies and very skinny. Probably a 1/4 inch if that.

My question: What do I do? I diped them Idione (useless I know) but saw nothing come out of the frag. How do I get rid of the eggs as well as the worms?

Here's a video and photos, the last one is a Google image that resembles what I saw. Any help would be appreciated.
Screenshot_20210324-101352_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210324-124543_Video Player.jpg unnamed.jpg

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookup Zoa Pox not sure but that could the issue. I t also could be sand have you tried to blow it off with a turkey baster?

OP
OP
WereAllNegan

WereAllNegan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookup Zoa Pox not sure but that could the issue
That was my first thought, apparently Zoa Pox shows up within the tissue of the polyp. Basically underneath the skin but these are on the outside. I could scrape them off if need be but just don't know if its the right course of action. I have a buddy lending me a microscope and lab grade tweezers tomorrow. Should get interesting

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the video something comes out in the middle left probably a copepod or something like that as well. Only reason I said pox is the zoomed in pic. The others really look like sand particles or detritus.

OP
OP
WereAllNegan

WereAllNegan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the video something comes out in the middle left probably a copepod or something like that as well. Only reason I said pox is the zoomed in pic. The others really look like sand particles or detritus.
Dude! I didn't even see that in the video. I think you're right about it being a copepod. Good eye

OP
OP
WereAllNegan

WereAllNegan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worm looks like a eunice worm, if it is definitely get it out
Ok I think I just **** my pants a little, I looked up baby bobbit worm and that is exactly what I saw. About 3 of them, looked just like this..

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 77

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Worm looks like a eunice worm, if it is definitely get it out
Agree and a tank destroyer. Set a trap or grab with tongs.

Tongs:

1616625138605.png

Trap made with a 1 litre bottle. 2 Litre also good:

trap.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello friends,
So last night I decided to take a look at my Dragon Eye Zoas after lights out and realized I have what looks like brown eggs of some sort all over them. I remember seeing them when I got the frag a month ago but being new to this hobby (and having poor eye sight) thought it was sand or detritus. Didn't pay much attention to them until I saw 2 tiny worms that resemble millipedes crawling on them last night. After that I got worried and inspected the colony using a magnifying lens, that's when I realized what I thought were sand particles are actually eggs. I've done my research and they're not nudibranch or Snail eggs.

I also came to the conclusion that the worms I saw were a type of Nereis Worm (clam worm). There are many different species varying in size, shape and color but the ones that most resemble what I saw seem to be either a Nereis Pelagica or a Rag Worm. Hard to tell because they're babies and very skinny. Probably a 1/4 inch if that.

My question: What do I do? I diped them Idione (useless I know) but saw nothing come out of the frag. How do I get rid of the eggs as well as the worms?

Here's a video and photos, the last one is a Google image that resembles what I saw. Any help would be appreciated.
Screenshot_20210324-101352_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210324-124543_Video Player.jpg unnamed.jpg
Zoa pox is usually more mucus like dots. Im hoping these are not zoa spider eggs.

OP
OP
WereAllNegan

WereAllNegan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tongs:

1616625138605.png

trap.jpg

Tongs:

1616625138605.png

trap.jpg
Ok ill set a trap, unfortunately my space is limited since its a 7g but I just ordered this on Amazon and it comes in tomorrow. I can't thank

Tongs:

1616625138605.png

trap.jpg
Done, I'll set a trap. Unfortunately my space is limited since it's a 7 gallon but I just ordered this on Amazon for $10 and comes in tomorrow. I didn't even know these traps existed, and on Amazon Prime lol

Tongs:

1616625138605.png

trap.jpg
Done, I'll set up a trap. Unfortunately I'm very limited on space since its a 7 gallon but I just ordered this from Amazon for $10, comes in tomorrow. I had no idea these traps even existed, and on Amazon Prime lol

20210324_161312.jpg

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cam dip the coral and swish it around? Let it rest. Swish it around.
Put back and check back?
Ive seen the soda pop container with holes and straws all over it.too.
Hths
D

OP
OP
WereAllNegan

WereAllNegan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa pox is usually more mucus like dots. Im hoping these are not zoa spider eggs.
I really hope not man, I'm searching Google and nothing. These things are brown and were laid one by one versus in an egg sac. I'm going to try to scrape them off with surgical tweezers. I'll have access to a microscope tomorrow as well and will post pictures.

OP
OP
WereAllNegan

WereAllNegan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I'm extremely thankful for every one here chiming in and taking the time to help me. With out you guys I'd be screwed

Attachments

• 4FFE92CA-F02F-49EC-AFE6-A0B884C2CB08.gif
    4FFE92CA-F02F-49EC-AFE6-A0B884C2CB08.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 43

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of just looks like sand in the first picture. These polyps are "sticky" and will attach to anything close.
Just as an example sometimes when I frag my polyps I'll miss one and it gets carried off by the current. Later on I'll find it attached to a grain of sand. GL.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since its a small tank its best to remove manually. Put some food out before lights out. Wait til the middle of the night, find where they are and gey the rock theyre in out. Grab them with tweezers or tongs and pull them out

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I really hope not man, I'm searching Google and nothing. These things are brown and were laid one by one versus in an egg sac. I'm going to try to scrape them off with surgical tweezers. I'll have access to a microscope tomorrow as well and will post pictures.
Good move - " when in doubt, chuck it out ! "

OP
OP
WereAllNegan

WereAllNegan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cam dip the coral and swish it around? Let it rest. Swish it around.
Put back and check back?
Ive seen the soda pop container with holes and straws all over it.too.
Hths
D
So I diped them in Lugols Idione, pretty heavy dose and blasted the heck out of them with a turkey baster. Nothing. I'm hoping the trap works. Pulling them out with tweezers isn't an option seeing that they're so small and hide whenever I get close.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back