Eheim return pump sponge yes or no

Blue Ring Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 30, 2016
Messages
3,720
Reaction score
1,567
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have a Eheim 1262 return pump and I gave it its first cleaning and the sponge was filthy, do people run their Eheim pumps with the sponge or not?

Thanks in advance
 
I had a similar situation and didn’t check the sponge for like a month, I just tossed the pump in the sump with the brand new pre filter and figured it was self cleaning and would prevent large objects from getting sucked into the intake/impeller. A month went by and I noticed that the flow from the new pump return was just a trickle. I thought that the new pump had failed so I got a spare and then yanked the new pump to swap and discovered the fully collapsed sponge was obstructing flow. I pulled the sponge and never looked back until today. Hth.
 
I have only used the little 1048 version and removed the sponge almost immediately.
 
Thanks everyone. I have removed the sponge and I will see how it goes.
 
Well I cleaned my pump every month and I do not have the issue with the sponge anymore, Eheim pumps are work horse pumps so I doubt they will get damaged.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new