Electric blue hermit alive but lost a claw

tk86347

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I have an electric blue/blue knuckle hermit who is having an issue.

We got this guy last weekend and he is a big sucker (at least 5 times bigger than our Halloween hermit, maybe more). His shell is big and heavy so we've made sure to have bigger and lighter options for him. Yesterday, we noticed he was hanging out in the same spot but he was moving his legs and seemed to be eating off the rocks. Today, he lost one of his claws. He's still alive (retreats into the shell when picked up) but still hanging out in the same spot.

PH, alk, salinity, nitrates, and nitrite are all perfect and all of our other inverts (porcelain crab, assorted hermits, starfish, urchin, etc.), corals, and condy anemone are fine.

Any insights/advice would be most appreciated.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that these creatures can regenerate limbs during molts but I am wondering how it lost the claw in the first place? I would expect whatever took the first limb will return for the trunk once the limb is digested?

Nat Geo Swimming GIF by National Geographic Channel
:astonished-face: :astonished-face:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(porcelain crab, assorted hermits, starfish, urchin, etc.), corals, and condy anemone are fine.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

What specific starfish and urchin do you have? Any other large inverts?

Given its size, have you been feeding it anything, or just letting it scavenge?

OP
OP
T

tk86347

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

What specific starfish and urchin do you have? Any other large inverts?

Given its size, have you been feeding it anything, or just letting it scavenge?
We have a burgundy (Luzon) starfish and a tuxedo urchin. Both are pretty small and neither have been near him.

We feed reef frenzy and frozen mysis shrimp to the tank. Yesterday I made sure to smear a bit of the reef frenzy on the rock he was sitting on. Otherwise, letting him scavenge.

OP
OP
T

tk86347

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that these creatures can regenerate limbs during molts but I am wondering how it lost the claw in the first place? I would expect whatever took the first limb will return for the trunk once the limb is digested?

Nat Geo Swimming GIF by National Geographic Channel
:astonished-face: :astonished-face:
It straight up fell off, was just sitting next to him. :(

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It straight up fell off, was just sitting next to him. :(
That could mean that it’s dying in place. Not sure that there is anything to be done if it has reached the end of its life?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a burgundy (Luzon) starfish and a tuxedo urchin. Both are pretty small and neither have been near him.

We feed reef frenzy and frozen mysis shrimp to the tank. Yesterday I made sure to smear a bit of the reef frenzy on the rock he was sitting on. Otherwise, letting him scavenge.
Yeah, neither of those should be a problem.

It may need more food (most marine organisms seem to need ~3-5% of their bodyweight in food per day for optimal health), but I'd guess it's just stress related at the moment.

I'd say to just make sure it's fed well and kept with as little stress as possible and see how it does.

OP
OP
T

tk86347

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could mean that it’s dying in place. Not sure that there is anything to be done if it has reached the end of its life?
That's what I am afraid of but thought I'd check here since he's clearly not dead, yet.

OP
OP
T

tk86347

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like he passed this morning. I feel bad but not sure what I could have done. Everyone else in the tank seems fine.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back